New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I'm wondering if the Honda City's EPS is "better" than traditional hydraulic systems? Which is more reliable?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    EPS is better in the sense that it consumes less power, it's less of a drag on the engine because it only pulls electricity when you are turning. a conventional hydraulic steering system is ALWAYS a load on the engine because whether the steering wheel is centered or not, the PS pump is being turned by the engine. so an EPS-equipped vehicle would be more fuel-efficient.

i think the mazda3 lower variants also use electric power steering. a drawback is that EPS is only good for smaller cars, it doesn't have enough grunt to work the steering of larger cars or SUV's. also i think there is much less feedback from EPS systems.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    electric is more efficient (less power loss from the engine, although in real terms, the difference is probably very slight... mas malaki pa rin yata yung drag ng aircon compressor) but the steering of the Jazz feels silly, like an arcade

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the thing with electronic systems is (for me at least) walang gradual breakdown... No warning it may fail in the worse possible time hehe... and of course, walang repair repair kit, palit agad $$$

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, the advantages of the EPS are twofold. One is the aforementioned loss of parasitic drag on the engine. Even though the load on the alternator is proportionally greater, it is less than the load and weight that two pulleys (alternator and power steering) would add to the system. The Prius goes one step further and has an electric A/C compressor. Only problem with an electric A/C is its ability to cool the car in climates like ours.

Second is the pumping load on a hydraulic system. Hydraulic systems have a nasty habit of loading up when you steer, and this can come back to you through the wheel. Electric systems should be more linear and supposedly don't load up when you turn the wheel.

As for the lack of feel in electric systems, it's something that people have been complaining about hydraulic power steering (versus manual) for a long time. There are some manufacturers (notably Mazda (M3 and the Protege/Lynx) and Honda) who've managed to inject some of that feel back into hydraulic systems... it's just a matter of time till they do it for electric PS.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In comparing both (sentra p/s vs jazz EPS), i found that the feedback on the EPS is not that heavy. It does take getting use to but still, it gets the job done. I even found the EPS lighter to turn. The Sentra's PS was a burden to the 1.3 engine and you could hear it too, but you were able to predict better on where the car will go and how much turn you need to muster. In short, feedback was very nice.

As for reliability, I had the Sentra PS overhauled after 9 years. The EPS still remains to be seen.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    about steering feel... true, it's application specific, and the jazz isn't any good in this regard hehehe.

BMW has begun using electric assist recently if i'm not mistaken

Is EPS (electric power steering) better than hydraulic?