New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hi guys, recently, we had the front tires of our Corolla Altis replaced (odometer reading of 35k, car was bought in 2009).

The stock tires were Dunlop Sport 01's. It was my mom who had the tires replaced since she was friends with the GM for Toyota Global City. Lo and behold, the new tires that were placed were Dunlop LM703's.

Less than a week after getting the new tires though, I noticed a small bump on the side wall of the right tire. Kumbaga, bumukol bigla yung gulong. We're gonna get the tires replaced, but I was wondering if we should stick with the LM703 or get Sport 01's instead.

I've come across feedback on the internet that the LM703 has really poor grip and the easily wears out. The Sport 01 is more expensive of course, but it might be the better value tire if it provides better performance and tread life. The car's used mostly for city/highway driving, but it's also subject to the occasional Marilaque run in Tanay.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Go with the pricier ones which you have tried and tested.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's low grip compared to other sports tires, but compared to a stock passenger car tire, it's pretty decent.

As regards the "bukol"... how much pressure do you put in your tire? If it's not enough, it's easier to damage the sidewalls when you hit a pothole.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Go with the pricier ones which you have tried and tested.
    There's a 1.4k/tire difference between the two tires, which is kinda steep for me. I need to confirm first that the SP01 is really better before we shell out more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It's low grip compared to other sports tires, but compared to a stock passenger car tire, it's pretty decent.

As regards the "bukol"... how much pressure do you put in your tire? If it's not enough, it's easier to damage the sidewalls when you hit a pothole.
    So would you say that I just stick with the LM703 instead of upgrading to the SP Sport 01?

I use 30 PSI for all tires, same as what I used with the Sport 01. A defective tire I guess, but I hope it's not indicative of inferior quality for the model in general.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On sidewall integrity; some years ago i was comparing the sidewalls of the Bridgestone Turanza and LM702 (predecessor of the 703). I got the Turanzas as the sidewalls felt beefier when you would feel out the thickness of both side-by-side.

If you're not comfortable with the LMs, there are other options in it's price range under other brands like Yokohoma, Bridgestone and Goodyear. Try canvassing for those as well.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    those dunlop LMs really tend to have bumps on the sidewall. i've experienced this with the LM 701s, 702s, and 703s. they are relatively cheaper than other non-chinese brands (especially sa tire shops), and probably kaya di masyado okay quality.

you can try other brands, di naman kailangan dunlop rin yung ipalit mo diyan. maybe yoko a-drives.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Sad to hear they haven't changed. I know the 702s were kind of infamous for this, but I hoped the 703s would be better.

If the SP01s are more expensive, they're likely better. But there are a lot of tires out there, might as well search for something in your price range that's good.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    am using lm703 205/50/r16. No problems naman. using 35 psi

kaso parang bilis mapudpod. gamit ko for 40,000 km pa lang, bago tag ulan palit na ako.

Dunlop LM703 vs Dunlop Sport 01