New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    is my spelling right?anyway,have you heard about this shocks?do you have any idea where i could get them?its for an LC80,the other LC80 is equipt with bilsteins with dobidson 2" lift springs,and they say that the ride is too soft because of the shocks.so i want to try dobidson shocks,they say its more stiffer eh.but has a nice ride also.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think what you were pertaining to is Dobinson Springs. Australian owned company. Based from what I read in Aussie sites, their springs are good especially when matched with Koni shocks. Though I don't recall anyone use Dobinson shocks yet.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yea.....sorry..my bad,its dobinson..they say kce that its more stiffer that bilsteins,im supposed to get another set of bilsteins but my dad said its too soft for the LC and maybe the road conditions we have in our prov.he asked me if i could source out dobinson shocks.

anyway,hoe about TJM series 2000?is it also good?much cheaper then bilsteins eh.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    TJM is much much cheaper than Bilstein, but the XGS series is much softer and I'm afraid that it will not help you either. You may want to try Rancho 9000X series, then set it to max, this is much stiffer than Bilstein brands. I heard Freeman will import Koni shocks locally.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i just called 199 offroad house,they sell dobinson but they dont have stock's na for LC80,march pa raw,but there price is much cheaper compared to other aftermarket shocks,it only cost 14k for a set of 4,not bad already.

anyway,re: ranchos,we also have them installed in our 4 vehicles,we had rs9000 in all of them,umm...ok naman sha.but i just want to try other brands,medyo nag sawa lang cguro kmi sa rancho's and want to try something new,coz i think before wala masyadong choices sa mga after market shocks,and that time rancho lang alam namin eh.actually im happy with the bilsteins,but i dont know with my dad.and nag inquire ako ng rancho rs9000,nasa 8k each na...ang mahal,and for me mas ok ang bilsteins eh.self adjustment pa.hindi mo na kelangan mag adjust sa ilalim depending on the terrain.

anyway,what shocks are you using on your safari?

and are koni's just replacement or also considered as an aftermarket?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hey that's a bargain for a set of shocks! You may want to make sure they have the same price when the stocks arrive. Give us a feedback as soon as those Dobinson shocks perform on your ride.

I have Bilstein on all sides, type 13 for the front end and 5100 series for the rear. I like the Type 13 perform over the latter.

Koni's are another brand for aftermarket shocks and it received good reports from its users. Mostly units from down under.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    will do sir,by the way,its not mine,its ours..do i make sense here?hehe...the cars are in our prov. so i only get to drive them during summers and x-mass.

anyway,umm...hindi ba same model ang lahat ng bilsteins,kce when i get a set,they just give it to me w/o asking what model i want and explaining it.they just tell me its self adjusting and thats it.whats the diff bet. type 13 and 5100 series?

and will konis will be cheaper also compared to the other brands?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Most common models sold are type 13, blue & yellow canister. It is commonly used replacing OE shocks. The 5100 series was for extended suspension travel which has longer travel. Marketing strategy yung self adjusting. It's just that their valve design do work much longer than ordinary shocks thus self-adjusting, maybe plus the fact that they use monotube design in their products. Most gas type or gas charged or even nitro-charged gas shocks have dual barrel type designs.

You will have to contact Freeman about the pricing of Koni shocks, I have no idea how much it will cost once it arrives.
    Last edited by Ungas; February 13th, 2004 at 12:28 PM.

Dobinson Shocks