New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ungas,

Kung yung shock absorber nga nilalagyan pa ng 'dual-action, telescopic ek ek', malamang hindi din makakaligtas ang brakes. hehehe. Mga tiga-marketing talaga. Minsan hindi ko alam kung nagpapatawa. :D

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Ungas
    Naw... you can't be serious?! Is there such a thing as leading and trailing brake shoe? :whoa:
    I guess some of the spin doctors at the marketing department is trying to make it sound like a twin caliper disc brake system. :D

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by mbt
    the rear brakes only provide about 5% or 10% to the overall braking ability of the vehicle... the lion's share of the job is on the front brakes, so econocars can get away with rear drums with little loss in function
    10% to 40% po yata ang kaya ng rear brakes.

To answer the question, depende sa model nung drum brakes. The current rear drum brake systems on today's cars would provide better stopping performance than the front disc setups of the '70s. And today's front disc brakes are truly exceptional in terms of stopping power. Combined with the fact that between 60 and 90 percent of a vehicle's stopping power comes from the front wheels, it's clear that a well-designed, modern drum brake is all that's required for most rear wheel brake duty. Lamang lang talaga ang disc brakes dahil fully exposed sila sa outside air. This exposure works to constantly cool the rotor, greatly reducing its tendency to overheat or cause fading which is the only flaw I could think of para sa drum brakes. Under high braking conditions, like descending a steep hill with a heavy load or repeated high-speed slow downs, drum brakes would often fade and lose effectiveness. Usually this fading was the result of too much heat build-up within the drum.

Originally posted by scarab
    ....ok naman din ang stopping power ng drums eh. sa corolla cup nga nun sa BRC rear drums pa rin gamit, and those cars were driven the way that you will never be able to drive or abuse yours.

....mas sporty nga lang talaga tignan rear discs.
    IMO, mas maganda sa karera kung naka disc brakes ka. Racers with disc brake systems could carry their speed "deeper" into a corner and apply greater braking force at the last possible second without overheating the components.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think Drums Brakes have a more Tendency to Fade But Disc Brakes due to open air exposure reduces Fading..and More Biting power...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
disc brakes  vs drums