New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    jut,
    the question asked was which one is better not which one is cheaper or more expensive
    jick
    I was referring to why the majority of the trucks and buses here use drum brakes, hence the quote.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    trucks in mindanao choose drum brakes over disk brakes.. because using a water cooled drum brake is more effective.. another reason why they dont like disk brakes is because most of the trucks are overloaded... and the disk brakes cant seem to handle it..

mai na kita kasi ko nga rear differential for a isuzu forward truck, in my uncles house nga disk brakes.. i asked him what happened to it.. and why it wasnt being used.. he told me it worked great when the load is tama lang daw.. but when on the heavy side and ma bagal ang takbo, nag overheat daw ang disks..

im not sure though if they tried using it with the water cooling systems that you see on almost all the trucks in mindanao..

back to cars. disk brakes are definitely better..

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    dagdag lang guys.. most of the Rural tours buses in mindanao have a retarder brake system added to the drivetrain.. its attached to the back of the transmission and works like the engine braking.

kaya in mindanao ma gulat kayo sa mga bus goin downhill parang kotse lang, ang bilis. kasi they have three sets of braking systems.

1 the engine brake, 2 the Telma retarder system and 3 the drum brakes.
    heres the website.. its an interesting read talaga

http://www.telmausa.com/telma_htm/default.htm

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Bro Cocoy is right. In our province (Cagayan Valley), trucks exclusively use drum breaks kasi hindi kakayanin ng disc breaks ang load na maaring magresulta sa overheating ng preno.

In cars, drum breaks are used as backups for the disc breaks. For lighter vehicles, the disc system is the most effective. Nowadays, many cars don't utilize drum breaks anymore. Instead, they have 4-wheel disc breaks. As for the overheating issue of disc breaks, standard discs are ventilated
    ... and for hi-performance cars, they utilize slotted & cross-drilled discs.

In the end, the deciding factor will depend on how these breaks will be used. The important thing is we have them to serve our rides.
    Last edited by jjmd3_787; October 3rd, 2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: tao lang po ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Disc Brake vs Drum Brake