New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Hi. Just want to know if anyone here has tried the product Auto Tap Express DIY OBDII Diagnostic Tool which I found in the net worth around $150. I am really interested to buy the product but want to know if it's worth the buck. Thx a lot.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Add another USD100 for the license to use the software. It seems to be a nice tool to have around in the shop. It's more for troubleshooting and viewing different parameters about the engine. It's not the same as the ones used to tweak an aftermarket piggy-back or plug-in replacement ECU.

I use a ScanGaugeII, btw. It has none of the snazzy graphics. But it serves its purpose without the need for a laptop.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    can these scan devices/tools be used for regular tune-ups? i was told, by local dealers's service, that scan is to be used only if there is a problem (or error codes) appearing on the console. i'm planning to have scan service for my car for tune-up purposes until I heard of this advice.

other thoughts?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 14myXUV View Post
    can these scan devices/tools be used for regular tune-ups? i was told, by local dealers's service, that scan is to be used only if there is a problem (or error codes) appearing on the console. i'm planning to have scan service for my car for tune-up purposes until I heard of this advice.

other thoughts?

a scan tool is just a tool, period. if you don't have the training about how the engine's computer systems work nor have the information to the diagnostic trouble codes and their repair procedure, read up. get trained. otherwise, like most shops that have a scan tool is a mere dog and pony show that they have it and only use it as a code reader. maybe if you have the factory manual and the scan tool, this will be a safe start. there is still no substitute for a trained, experienced and equipped technician.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; August 31st, 2012 at 07:56 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *jick.cejoco: so, the scan tool can be used for performance tuning of modern cars contrary to casa's claim that it's only for diagnotics (trouble codes reading)?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    *jick.cejoco: so, the scan tool can be used for performance tuning of modern cars contrary to casa's claim that it's only for diagnotics (trouble codes reading)?

not an expert on aftermarket tuning but you can buy software to load to your laptop to tune your desired performance. this is usually included when you purchase an aftermarket pcm.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    not an expert on aftermarket tuning but you can buy software to load to your laptop to tune your desired performance. this is usually included when you purchase an aftermarket pcm.
    thanks. i don't plan to do it myself. i just want to get confirmation that engine scanning CAN be used for tuning coz I hear differently from others (pang troubleshoot lang daw). hanap na lang ako nang shop na meron nito at capable.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    thanks. i don't plan to do it myself. i just want to get confirmation that engine scanning CAN be used for tuning coz I hear differently from others (pang troubleshoot lang daw). hanap na lang ako nang shop na meron nito at capable.

check this website:
    MegaSquirt | Engine Management System | Electronic Fuel Injection - DIYAutoTune.com.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    As mentioned, diagnostic scan tools are just that, scan tools. They basically allows you to see and clear DTCs whenever the CEL is lit up. Some can provide real-time engine runtime information like AFR, MAF/MAP, timing advance, ECT, O2 sensor readings, and a bunch of other stuff. More advanced scan tools also includes a data logger to allow you to view historical data. But suffice to say, a scan tool, per se, is generally used to get information OUT of the ECU. Think of it as an interrogation device for cars.

Although, some scan tools may also incorporate the ability to change certain parameters, these are usually limited to resetting the ECU, throttle position or assigning keys to the immobilizer and such. Example of these would be the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) that's used in dealerships.

ECU tuning is whole new animal and can be done in various ways. But three methods are most common:

1. Replace the factory ECU with an aftermarket one that can be tuned or have has been pre-configured for performance
    2. Re-flash the factory ECU to mimic an aftermarket ECU
    3. Attach a piggyback (via DLC or physically spliced through the ECU connection). Some ECUs may need to be re-flashed or "cracked", if you will, in order to make this work

ECU tuning gives you the ability to remap and recalibrate engine parameters to maximize any performance parts you may have installed (ie. aftermarket injectors, intake, exhaust, turbos, etc.) and it requires a very deep understanding what each setting can do and how it affects the overall balance. You can actually destroy your engine if you dialed in the wrong values.

So, if a scan tool is to interrogation, tuning is to brainwashing.
    Last edited by oj88; September 6th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    thanks for the exhaustive explanation. i guess my confusion is on my understanding of tune-up by which i was only referring to optimum, out-of-casa performance and not aftermarket enhancing gadgets.

Diagnostic Scan Tool