New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2007
    hi, i'm planning to change my toyota revo stock tire size.

i've done quite a research and using the miata calculator, i trimmed down my choices using the following guidelines:

1. i want wider tires for better handling.
    2. i want to maintain the sidewall height so i won't sacrifice a smooth ride.
    3. i stuck closely to the stock's diameter and circumference to maintain performance, speedo and odo readings.

given all those, here are my choices:

Size Sidewall Diameter Circumference
    185/80R14 5.8 25.7 80.6

to one of these:

215/70R14 5.9 25.9 81.2
    225/65R14 5.8 25.5 80.2

i might go for the wider/slightly smaller option: 225/65R14.

my questions:
    1. do my guidelines and options make sense?
    2. these two sizes are not in the user manual. does that mean they are not advisable? and what should the tire pressures (psi) be?
    3. will fuel economy be affected though i tried to maintain tire dimensions?
    4. when i get a flat tire, can i temporarily use a 185/80R14 spare with these?

by the way, i completely ignored how the wider tires might touch the body (full steering and bumps), coz i know i won't know for sure until i get to a shop and try it on.

thanks in advance, masters!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Consider,not only the rim diameter, but also the rim width inorder to accommodate wider and bigger tires.

Rule of thumb in using the same rim but upsizing the tire: One level increase for tire width and one level below for side wall height, i.e.
    185/80/14 to 195/70/14.

A 215/70/14 will probably do among your choices pending tire availability and possibly fender rubbing.

Cons:
    Dapat kasi within 3% lang and difference sa tire circumference, more than that there will be:
    (1) inaccuracy of the vehicles odometer/speedometer
    (2) brake efficiency and compromised effectiveness
    (3) increase gas consumption

For more information, search for "tire upsizing" maraming threads na ganyan sa forums.
    Last edited by Gerbo; January 12th, 2009 at 08:54 PM.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    Dapat kasi within 3% lang and difference sa tire circumference
    yup, that's what i'm trying to maintain. in fact the 2 choices i have are less than 1% different from the stock dimensions. thanks, gerbo.

Changing Tire Size