New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

what do you call the "special grease" used inside the caliper piston during rebuilds? where can you buy that grease locally?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    hi,

what do you call the "special grease" used inside the caliper piston during rebuilds? where can you buy that grease locally?

spyghost,
    the grease that comes with some of the caliper repair kits is silicone grease. not that silicone that makes women look great. silicone compound that does not get firm. it is the same grease that comes with the what we called breaker points or contact points for the distributor type ignition decades back. they are readily sold at parts stores. they come in tubes like toothpaste. but in its absence, you can use the same dot 3 or dot 4 brake fluid. the only advantage silicone grease lubricant for reassembly of your brake calipers is that it is not hydroscopic or does not readily absorb moisture. if you can not find this grease, you can try dot 5 brake fluid. this one is silicone type brake fluid only to lubricate the seals for your caliper.
    jick

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    isn't it dot3/4 cannot mix with dot5? my brake system requires the use of either dot 3 or 4

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    isn't it dot3/4 cannot mix with dot5? my brake system requires the use of either dot 3 or 4

spyghost,
    dot3 and dot 4 are glycol based, dot 5 is silicone based. these two, glycol and silicone based does not work together. if you decide to use dot 5 instead since it has a longer service life of 5 years compared to dot3/4 of two years, you will have to flush the system with alcohol and change all parts with rubber or neoprene. u.s. federal vehicles which are programmed to be replaced after 5 years usually have dot 5 fluid to save on downtime and service cost. also, the dot 5 fluids have a higher boiling point than dot 3/4.
    jick

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yeah, i wouldn't mix dot 3/4 with 5.

caliper piston grease (for rebuild)