New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i really don't get it...

i read somewhere that hard braking can affect fuel economy; ngayun ngayon lang i also read that "malfunctioning" brakes can also affect fuel economy since, quote "the vehicle must work harder to overcome the resistance."

pwede po paki explain?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk
    i really don't get it...

i read somewhere that hard braking can affect fuel economy; ngayun ngayon lang i also read that "malfunctioning" brakes can also affect fuel economy since, quote "the vehicle must work harder to overcome the resistance."

pwede po paki explain?

basically braking is converting kenetic energy to heat. Since it takes fuel to get your car moving, anything that slows it down (malfunctioning brakes, open windows, flat tire, etc) will waste energy.

Hard braking can waste energy because you might slow down too much and then you will need to accelerate again to your desired speed. Also an alternative to hard braking is to coast to your target speed which will not consume any more fuel than normal driving would.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ic, so hard braking while in motion pala. all this time i was thinking about the case wherein you really have to come to a complete stop -- e.g. approaching a red light, pedestrian lane, etc. in those cases it doesn't really matter if you apply the brakes gradually, or maintain speed, then brake at the last second right?(the latter is of course quite stupid, pero for the sake of argument lang)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Brake system malfunctions also include those problems wherein the brake sticks to the rotor or remains partially clamped even when the pedal is fully released. This in effect is like driving with one foot on the brake and can kill your fuel economy.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Since engine braking can also slow you down... what if you want to maintain a speed and you also want the best fuel economy for that trip, what would be the best? Constantly pressed on the pedal or intermittently blipping the pedal so that you can maintain your desired speed?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk
    ic, so hard braking while in motion pala. all this time i was thinking about the case wherein you really have to come to a complete stop -- e.g. approaching a red light, pedestrian lane, etc. in those cases it doesn't really matter if you apply the brakes gradually, or maintain speed, then brake at the last second right?(the latter is of course quite stupid, pero for the sake of argument lang)
    Kasama na 'yon ... coming to a complete stop, that is.

Braking gradually means you have to brake earlier. So the important thing is anticipating what's ahead. Also, slow acceleration and steady cruising speed will help a lot.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's best to keep a constant and very light pedal pressure... re-accelerating to a set speed will waste gas... and only coast when going downhill... don't exert extra pressure going up grades or inclines,just let your car slow down and regain the speed you lose on the other side.

And yes, anticipation is definitely the best tactic. Don't be like every other schmuck on the road who hits their brakes just three car-lengths away from a certain crash. Watch the road, watch the traffic, and if you're in a playful mood, watch for the right openings when overtaking. Nothing feels better than cruising at 80 kph by that guy who blasted past you at 120 kph only to get stuck behind the next truck.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    For me, it's not the braking that wastes gas... it's the acceleration after braking that wastes gas. If you have a manual transmission, then engine braking would be your best option to save gas. I have an automatic transmission, for me, if i see traffic is slowing down up ahead, i just take my foot off of the acceleration and just coast... if the traffic picks up as i reach it, then i accelerate slowly back to speed. if the traffic slows down more, or even stops, then I go ahead n just brake.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's all about anticipating traffic flow.... which, in our country has no flow hehe.

brakes and fuel economy