New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2008
    is there a place where i can buy one way brake bleeder screws anywhere in mm. its a pita when you want to bleed the brake or clutch system and there is no one to pump the pedal.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by goldrat View Post
    is there a place where i can buy one way brake bleeder screws anywhere in mm. its a pita when you want to bleed the brake or clutch system and there is no one to pump the pedal.
    type "DIY power brake bleeder" in google.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    type "DIY power brake bleeder" in google.

a cheap and available material to do this is a section of a rubber vacuum hose about two inches long, slit about 1/4 inch with a razor blade in the middle. one end plugged, the other end slipped onto the bleeder screw head. pressure from the brake master cylinder pushes the air out of the slit, upon return of the master cylinder, the slit rubber hose partially closes enough not to allow air from getting sucked into the brake cakiper or wheel cylinder.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    a cheap and available material to do this is a section of a rubber vacuum hose about two inches long, slit about 1/4 inch with a razor blade in the middle. one end plugged, the other end slipped onto the bleeder screw head. pressure from the brake master cylinder pushes the air out of the slit, upon return of the master cylinder, the slit rubber hose partially closes enough not to allow air from getting sucked into the brake cakiper or wheel cylinder.
    good idea. however, there is a possibility of air coming in from the thread of the bleeder screw. the bleeder screw still needs to be un-tightened before you can bleed the fluid.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    good idea. however, there is a possibility of air coming in from the thread of the bleeder screw. the bleeder screw still needs to be un-tightened before you can bleed the fluid.

i have used this for years, the surface tension of the brake fluid on the threads makes it partially airtight and the speed of the master cylinder piston return is way much faster than the tendency of the air to reenter the lines. or you can drill one sacrificial bleeder screw straight down from the outlet end, when the bleeding procedure with pedal pressure is done, continue with the gravitational bleeding and then you reisntall the unmodified bleeder screw
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; February 5th, 2010 at 06:01 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    a friend, neighbor, relative, or anyone that passes by your location that can help is the best solution to the problem... think safety

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    in an automotive shop, brake or clutch hydraulic system is done by one person operation using pressure bleeding procedure, vacuum bleeding procedure or gravitational bleeding procedure, the ts is asking where he can purchase a "special" bleeder screw. there are some available but hard to find tools of this kind. the rubber hose used like a reed valve eliminates the other person of the two man bleeding procedure and is readily available. yes, safety is paramount, as long as proper procedure is used on reassembly and bleeding the hydraulics, it is safe and routine for professionals or personnel who have been doing this procedure.

8. Join Date
    May 2008
    thanks for the replies. the hose thing sounds interesting and i will give it a try. but just to make sure, i'll have somebody around to help bleed the system before i tighten the screw. you never know when you will find yourself in one of those mcgyver situations.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Thanks sir. I got the idea, actually first time I read this diy procedure. +1 karma to you. brgds.

brake bleeder screws