New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    You might want to look at the Pirelli P4's, they're pretty cheap compared to the xm-2's. Tread looks very grippy.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Might be that Pirelli's might not be as durable as tires built for hot climates. Maybe if budget problems I'll try kumho APT instead

of goodyear HP Aw or XM2.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I've used the XM1 on a minivan. Inflated with nitrogen. One blew out, side wall failed, at about 3 years and 30,000 kms. My dad's E150 also had 2 Michellins blow. So I'm wary of that brand.

No experience with the Good Year HP. But mos of our trucks (Elf aand Canters) use good yer. They last about 2 years. Better than the 1 year we used to get with Gagha. My city uses good year nct3, the stock tire, nothing great. But so far no problems after 2.5 years and 31,000 kms. Braking can be a lot better though.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    HP AWs aren't straight performance tires, they're comfort touring, but with an extra edge of grip and proven better braking performance than the Dueler HTs (we tested this when they launched the tire). Like Vinj, I hate the HTs, have had them on a couple of vehicles and I've had nothing but bad experiences with them.

I replaced the HTs on the CR-V with Kumho Ecsta SPX, but those are like Advan STs... lots of grip, tread wear not quite as good as an HT tire, and tire noise pretty bad, especially once they start wearing down. On the Crosswind, we replaced the HTs with Kumho SPTs, which have good tread wear, quieter running and life that seems similar to the HTs.

If I had the money or the source, I would have gone for the HP AWs instead of the Ecsta SPX, but I like my SPTs. They're sufficient for my needs on the Crosswind and pretty cheap.
    Question: Would it be safe to install the Ecsta SPT's on a Grand Vitara? Currently running on Dueller H/T's (don't like them) and need to replace them asap. I was considering Yokohama Geolanders (either H/t or A/T) or Federal Couragia S/U's but the Ecsta's were at least P2,000 cheaper than these.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hi for my crosswind I'm also considering Goodyear Assurance fuel max 205 65 R15 threadlife is 580 seems better

than Wrangler HP AW 205 70 R15 440 threadlife. Michelin Xm2 is a little expensive but might have lower threadlife.

yun nga lang mas 65 lang yung assurance. Any insights?

thank you

6. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anthon05 View Post
    Hi for my crosswind I'm also considering Goodyear Assurance fuel max 205 65 R15 threadlife is 580 seems better

than Wrangler HP AW 205 70 R15 440 threadlife. Michelin Xm2 is a little expensive but might have lower threadlife.

yun nga lang mas 65 lang yung assurance. Any insights?

thank you
    Bro, yung Sportivo ko 2007, with Isuzu-supplied Michellin , 4 years na.And I travelled a lot in Mindanao roads!If you know what I mean. But of course since day one to date ...I pumped in Nitrogen instead of usual air on all the tires including spare. Honestly, it makes sense and very rewarding, take it from me. Good luck!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomE View Post
    Question: Would it be safe to install the Ecsta SPT's on a Grand Vitara? Currently running on Dueller H/T's (don't like them) and need to replace them asap. I was considering Yokohama Geolanders (either H/t or A/T) or Federal Couragia S/U's but the Ecsta's were at least P2,000 cheaper than these.
    Check that the combined load rating of the tires equal the gross vehicle weight rating of the Grand Vitara... If it's just a little lower, just don't load the car to capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    I've used the XM1 on a minivan. Inflated with nitrogen. One blew out, side wall failed, at about 3 years and 30,000 kms. My dad's E150 also had 2 Michellins blow. So I'm wary of that brand.

No experience with the Good Year HP. But mos of our trucks (Elf aand Canters) use good yer. They last about 2 years. Better than the 1 year we used to get with Gagha. My city uses good year nct3, the stock tire, nothing great. But so far no problems after 2.5 years and 31,000 kms. Braking can be a lot better though.
    Might actually be due to not checking inflation pressures. When you use nitrogen, you're still supposed to check the pressures regularly... At least every week, considering the poor condition of the roads here.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Check that the combined load rating of the tires equal the gross vehicle weight rating of the Grand Vitara... If it's just a little lower, just don't load the car to capacity.
    Thanks for the reply Sir!

Just one more question for reassurance. I googled the required load index & speed ratings of the Grand Vitara & the specs of the SPT's. I saw two different requirements for the GrandVit, one was 99T, the other said 100H. Since the SPT's ratings are 104V, am I right to assume that they meet, or even surpass, the minimum requirement?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by TomE View Post
    Thanks for the reply Sir!

Just one more question for reassurance. I googled the required load index & speed ratings of the Grand Vitara & the specs of the SPT's. I saw two different requirements for the GrandVit, one was 99T, the other said 100H. Since the SPT's ratings are 104V, am I right to assume that they meet, or even surpass, the minimum requirement?
    You are correct.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Try Michelin Agilis instead of XM2 for your Crosswind. Rated for truck use. Higher load index, much stronger tires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Which is better for Crosswind XTO Michelin XM2 or Goodyear Wrangler HP AW?