New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 89 of 151 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trucker111 View Post
    any recommended brands for 185r14c (8ply) tires for adventure? budget is <Php 3K/tire
    We use for the L300 FB the goodyear wrangler. Works well IMHO. Same size sila. But yokohama is better IMO yung 185/65 R14 86H C.drive2 nila.
    Last edited by Ry_Tower; October 8th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Hi,

Tires for my 2003 RAV4 are due for replacement.

Original/OEM - 215/70 R16
    Replacement tire - Bridgestone Turanza ER 30 - 235/60 R16

I called Roadstar and what they have available are:

Kumho KU31 - 6,400
    Yokohama Geolander A/T-S (G012) - 7,200

Any place I can get the tires cheaper - I'd like it to be in the 6,000 range sana. Preferably in Makati or Taguig area. The Yokohama is too pricey. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by April_Ryan; October 13th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Try S&R. They sell Yokohama tires there.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Due for tire replacement na ang Strada ko. These are my choices:

1. Pirelli Scorpion ATR
    2. Cooper Discoverer A/T3
    3. Nitto Terra Grappler
    4. Toyo Open Country A/T

Will be using either the size of the current stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires of my Strada (245/70 R16) or upgrade to 265/70 R16.

Di ko alam kung saan nakakabili ng Pirelli tires aside from Ben's Ok Banawe and saan nakakabili ng Cooper tires aside from Ryco Makati. Sana Quezon City area lang.

Parang guinea pig na namin yung bibilhing tires so that we would know what tires to buy when we upgrade our upcoming Trailblazer's wheels to offroad wheels.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    any feedback on gajah tunggal maxmiller 185r14c?
    current price?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    OT:

Saw a tyre recycling machine system yesterday at the fair. meron pa lang ganon. very nice ha.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    OT:

Saw a tyre recycling machine system yesterday at the fair. meron pa lang ganon. very nice ha.
    saan yang fair na yan boss???

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    OT:

Interesting. How does it go about its business? Does it shred the used tires into mulch, or does it do something else entirely?

Tires are ridiculously hard to decompose into their constituent substances (rubber and oil, mainly, with some nylon and steel) because of the vulcanization process. Vulcanizing basically pressure-cooks tires into what they are.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    My past three sets of tires have all come from tire makers that aren't exactly established brands in the Philippines. Would like to share my reviews so far. All the tires I'm reviewing have seen daily driving and racetrack abuse on my GD1 Honda Jazz.

TOYO PROXES 4 (PX4), 205/45 R16 87W, directional
    Highs: Has good grip and response for an all-season tire - it's actually M+S rated. The Proxes 4 feels honestly rated for 300 treadwear, and it's not particularly noisy. W-pattern tread is unusual and eye-catching if that's your thing. It's also a reinforced or extra-load tire, so if you have to carry heavy loads for some reason all you need to do is pump up the air pressure by 5-7 psi per tire.

Lows: Pricey and rather heavy. In 2008 these sold for PhP5600 apiece.

KUMHO ECSTA SPT (KU31), 195/55 R15 85V, directional
    Highs: They're cheap - in 2010 they cost PhP2950 apiece. They ride well and the SPTs do a good job evacuating water from asphalt...at least, if you still have sufficient tread depth on them. After four trackdays and plenty of driving in two years, they were down to the wear bars - considering the abuse I gave them, the 340 treadwear rating is also pretty honest.

Lows: For a given aspect ratio the SPTs are some of the tallest-sidewalled tires you'll find; they're not for people into low profiles. Those sidewalls are also really soft, translating to dull steering response and compounding the lackluster grip around the track (the understeering SPTs do not like Clark International Speedway at all). If you run Ecsta SPTs, be mindful of your driving to avoid sidewall damage.

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 3 (PS3), 195/50 R15 82V, asymmetrical
    Highs: This side of a Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 or Bridgestone RE-11, the grip from the PS3s is phenomenal. Where the SPTs squealed in protest around the turns of Clark International Speedway, the PS3s just kept their poise and transitioned between quick left-right turns very well. Stiff shoulders and sidewalls give very direct steering but are pliant enough for a good ride. I find myself having trouble believing these are street tires rated for 320 treadwear, such is the depth of ability.

Lows: With tires, I've learned that generally speaking, you get what you pay for. That said, these tires fetch a pretty penny at PhP4850-5100 a piece in 2012. If directional tread is your thing, the PS3s won't appeal to your eyes. Finally, these tires can get loud at an 80-100 km/h cruise even with full tread depth. One other concern is because there isn't a high demand for Michelin rubber locally, the Pilot Sport 3s are available by order basis from the distributors.

====

My point with this review is that there is no one best brand of tire (all of them are good for street duty), and that you usually get what you pay for in terms of tire performance. I strongly suggest that you do not cheap out on tires as they are literally the only things connecting your car to the road, and everything you do while driving the car is only as good as the tires you have installed.
    Last edited by Type 100; October 18th, 2012 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    Due for tire replacement na ang Strada ko. These are my choices:

1. Pirelli Scorpion ATR
    2. Cooper Discoverer A/T3
    3. Nitto Terra Grappler
    4. Toyo Open Country A/T

Will be using either the size of the current stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires of my Strada (245/70 R16) or upgrade to 265/70 R16.

Di ko alam kung saan nakakabili ng Pirelli tires aside from Ben's Ok Banawe and saan nakakabili ng Cooper tires aside from Ryco Makati. Sana Quezon City area lang.

Parang guinea pig na namin yung bibilhing tires so that we would know what tires to buy when we upgrade our upcoming Trailblazer's wheels to offroad wheels.

Sir maganda ang Yokohama Geolandar AT/S. Excellent grip/traction!

The Best Brand of Tires