New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    may question lang po ako sa EPS... if its rock hard sa high speeds, paano if you need to turn quickly to avoid something or someone sa road? would it be a pain to steer?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I've only tried the electric power steering of the Jazz. Perhaps it's the technology or the tuning but the Jazz' electric power steering has no feedback to the driver on the highway. Best way to describe it is, it's like the old "night driver" arcade game (for those of you who are old enough to play that game ). But when maneuvering in tight spaces like a parking lot, the electric power steering is very effective

when i say rock hard, not yung sobrang tigas.. it stiffs na tipong di madali ka mag-oversteer..

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical! View Post
    I've only tried the electric power steering of the Jazz. Perhaps it's the technology or the tuning but the Jazz' electric power steering has no feedback to the driver on the highway. Best way to describe it is, it's like the old "night driver" arcade game (for those of you who are old enough to play that game ). But when maneuvering in tight spaces like a parking lot, the electric power steering is very effective
    I've driven our Jazz for thousands of kilometers. And yes there is good and direct feedback on both city and highway. The steering just feels heavier on higher speeds thus eliminating sudden steer like what you encounter in conventional power steering where a little steer can turn the car in far greater angle.

*archie,
    I always miss a pot hole at high speeds on our Jazz. No, it's not painful experience. As I've said, the steering has good feedback.
    iam3739.com

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical! View Post
    hehe... thanks for the info, this confirms what is said on wiki.
    The "feel" is often set a bit on the light side so a criticism commonly expressed is a lack of steering "feel".[

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    may question lang po ako sa EPS... if its rock hard sa high speeds, paano if you need to turn quickly to avoid something or someone sa road? would it be a pain to steer?
    Steering only becomes hard at high speed if it's programmed to become hard. Most EPS systems I've test-driven have the opposite problem actually... they're too light at high speeds.

The only EPS cars I've driven that have felt almost right are newer Mazdas (Mazda6, CX9... not the Mazda3), BMWs (though it's still nowhere near Hydraulics) and maybe the new Honda Civic. I say maybe because I've driven two Civics on which I hated the power steering, and one on which I didn't.

Most EPS is crap. The new Altis, the Vios, the Accent... all crap. The Jazz... still crap, but the car itself makes up for that shortcoming. The steering has no feel... no indication on whether your front tires have grip, are turning, are going flat, are on ice... nothing.

I just hope that in the future, all new EPS systems will be designed like that on the Mazda6... with the EPS motor situated on the rack nearer the wheels. This gives halfway decent road feel compared to column mounted motors which just feel weird.

Power steering failure on electric racks is no big deal. It just gets really heavy. You can still actually steer. Just like with hydraulic rack failures.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    That confirms what I've thought about the Honda Jazz EPS - it's isolated from the road feel and doesn't communicate well, though it does make steering much lighter, you still have to judge mentally how the chassis is running about when you have steering input.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The one good thing about the Jazz is that the chassis itself is so communicative, it makes up for some of the lack of feel.

Despite my rant, I recognize EPS as the way forward. In fact, it's about time that all car accessories become electric... including air-conditioning. This lessens motor load and makes for terrific fuel consumption. With some new cars like the Mazda6, I'm hopeful that some day EPS will be nearly as good as hydraulic steering at transmitting road feel. Remember, hydraulic systems aren't really transparent, either... but at least they have better feedback.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    yung mga maliliit na suzuki vans some of them are already equipped with EPS eventhough they were built in 1990's...

this technology is already available since then, i don't know why automakers didn't introduce this earlier.. lessens the engine load

EPS is good as long you don't steer while the vehicle is stationary or stepping on the brakes to avoid stress on the motors...

this is a good way of saving fuel since you really don't need power assist during high speeds unlike hydraulic steering that continuously operate the PS pump

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Steering only becomes hard at high speed if it's programmed to become hard. Most EPS systems I've test-driven have the opposite problem actually... they're too light at high speeds.

The only EPS cars I've driven that have felt almost right are newer Mazdas (Mazda6, CX9... not the Mazda3), BMWs (though it's still nowhere near Hydraulics) and maybe the new Honda Civic. I say maybe because I've driven two Civics on which I hated the power steering, and one on which I didn't.

Most EPS is crap. The new Altis, the Vios, the Accent... all crap. The Jazz... still crap, but the car itself makes up for that shortcoming. The steering has no feel... no indication on whether your front tires have grip, are turning, are going flat, are on ice... nothing.

I just hope that in the future, all new EPS systems will be designed like that on the Mazda6... with the EPS motor situated on the rack nearer the wheels. This gives halfway decent road feel compared to column mounted motors which just feel weird.

Power steering failure on electric racks is no big deal. It just gets really heavy. You can still actually steer. Just like with hydraulic rack failures.
    wow, medyo hindi nga ideal yung EPS if you dont feel anything that indicates going flat and/or having traction. thought its all good news for this new technology... parang the saying of "old technology is better that brandnew technology" is right in this case... thanks sir niky for the insight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Anu ba ang mas maganda, Electronic or Conventional power steering