New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Comments and Suggestions please, Is this possible, because the manual requires a 95 octane gasoline.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by geLo17 View Post
    Comments and Suggestions please, Is this possible, because the manual requires a 95 octane gasoline.
    its safer to follow what is recommended.

it may run on 93 octane gas, but may cause loss of power, cause engine to knock and may be damage the engine on the long run.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    For the few hundred pesos of price difference mawawalan ka na ng warranty, magri risk ka pa magka major problem?

Not a good idea ...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Bro, I have an Impreza 2.0R Sports. I have been tinkering with different brands and types of fuel lately... Here's a copy of my post at Subaru Society.

And I quote...

This is my newbie attempt at describing my recent experiences with regards to fuel...

For about 10 years, I stuck with Caltex Gold (hindi pa Gold tawag before and a 35li for my CR-V was just P500!) because I feel it was good for that vehicle. Ventured once with old Shell E-10 and despised it.

Fast forward now to a GH7 which I would like to think has a "performance" oriented engine compare to the CR-V, I still loaded Caltext Gold just after getting the car from MI.

Never really gave other fuel brands a try until recently, and my experience are somewhat mixed...

Caltex Gold - Seems to be ok and is my baseline. Car has pulling power when over taking, and this is the fuel where I achieved 8.4li/100km consumption. There's a bit of car twitching from time to time, which I attributed to the Boxer engine.

Total Protec - I probably loaded at the wrong station. But the engine felt rough, twitching still there and performance seemed to be less. Disclaimer: I am casting doubt about the authenticity of the fuel as it was priced at just 42.80 per liter.

Shell 93 "Premium" - my officemate swears about efficiency on her Vios and got first hand experience when we drove (actuall I drove) from Makati to Subic and back with less than half a tankful. So I tried it once (loaded just 500 on a near-empty tank) and while it was not as bad a Protec (again with disclaimer) it was not better than Caltex Gold either.

Petron Blaze - the only thing that stuck in my mind is how fast the P500 load of fuel "disappeared" from the tank. Faster than I can actually feel anything positive or negative. I might be exaggerating, but that was the experience.

Shell V-Power - finally I decided to "step-up" and try V-Power. Bottom line, for the added cost, it was worth it. Engine runs smoother (about 8k on my ODO) and the twitching somewhat disappeared because I don't notice it anymore. Maybe I should really pay close attention at idle in the parking (tahimik). Pulling power is there, acceleration feels better.

I had the thought and belief that having a GH7 just deserves a fuel performance level provided that of Caltex Gold, and it was only now that I realized the benefits of a better (higher octane) fuel, in this instance was Shell V-Power.

Is Unleaded 93 Octane Can be used by an Impreza 2.0r? 2010