New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Hi,

I need advice regarding the Subaru Outback 3.6r. Currently, I'm looking for my first Subaru vehicle. For those who got the Outback locally, has anyone experienced the dreaded "steering shake" issue experienced by countless Subaru Outback owners in North America?

SOA (Subaru of America) has actually issued 3 bulletins regarding this (did not provide link, just goole it ;) ), but so far, no fix has been conclusive.

It was said that the issue only exists in North America, however, I am not convinced that such could occur there and not here. Their roads are better, so I was thinking that with our poorer roads, the steering shaking here would be exponential.

Some argued that the issues are because of poor tires installed, or wheel alignment issues. However, 2 years has past, 3 service bulletins including one recall, could not solve the steering shake issues. Clearly, this is not the simple wheel alignment, or tire issue.

It just doesn't make sense, that a vehicle will be made differently in North America than in Japan (I was told Outbacks are CBU units). Besides, I am quite sure that Outbacks, although assembled in differents places, should have similar parts. Thus, this will mean that Outbacks sold here are potentially dangerous.

Philippine laws don't have a "lemon" unit law similar to North America. So once I buy this unit, I am not only wasting 2.4M good money, but more importantly, putting my family at risk.

I am writting this because I will need a "family" vehicle I could use for years to come.

To the experts here, please give advice.

Thanks!

Based on the posts I've read in this sub-forum, parang there aren't any Subaru Outback owners here. I don't even see units in the showrooms actually. Sorry.

Maybe you can try posting in the 2 other local forums devoted to Subaru: subarusociety.org and subaruclub.ph?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Thanks April. Maybe I'll post somewhere else.As of now, the price of the Subaru Outback is very tempting, but, the issues it has keeps me from gettin one.

From what I have seen, very few owners here in the Philippines, only the FXT is a big hit.

Cguro alam din ng mga taga dito yun steering problems kaya wala bumili? Time will tell. For now, I'll look for something else, as the risk of getting one and having a lemon is a very very big problem. The Philippines does not have a "lemon" law similar to the US. Kaya, not worth the risk.

Thanks Tsikot. ;)

Subaru Outback Thoughts - Does the Steering Shake Occur for Local units?