New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Aftermarket timing belt did not meet standards and snapped in less than 30,000 miles. This was !n expensive mistake i made. Four exhaust valves and intake valves on cylinder 4 ( left bank) all bent. The removal of the cylinder prove to be a daunting task with 8/10 frustration level.
    If you should replace the timing components, it's best you use OEM or Gates timing belt. Replace all cam seals, front crank seal, water pump, tensioner and all idler pulleys in one shot.
    The camshaft pulleys need a special holding tool to remove/install the pulleys to gain access replacing the camshaft seals.
    The factory estimated repair time is way off at nine hours (estimated) but actual time is around 26 hours assuming there are no stripped fasteners specially the plastic timing covers ( replacing valves on left bank cylinder head without removing the engine assembly).

If y ou have the older subaru model (timing belt driven camshaft, replace the belt before the recommended replacement mileage).

Engine families covered
    EJ20
    EJ205
    EJ 25
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; September 3rd, 2018 at 05:10 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2015

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    It’s not for everybody. Refinement is not its key characteristic. Hehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    article was kinda off til i saw the type-r. then it makes sense.