New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    WRX has no top-end to speak of. At about 4500rpm you're already at peak power, and you wont be getting any more even if you rev to the 6.5k redline. The breathing apparatus on the car is really just that restrictive.
    Looking at Car & Driver's spec sheet for the 2008 WRX:

Max horsepower is 224* 5200 rpm
    Torque is 226 lb-ft* 2800 rpm
    Top end speed is a governed 140 mph/225 kph in 5th gear* 5660 rpm

Seems like the car's ok. Torque's at the low end where it should be. I think all the grumbling's with the handling which is much softer from previous WRX. It's still much more flingable than an FXT. I'd love to take this car mountain climbing.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    WRX has no top-end to speak of. At about 4500rpm you're already at peak power, and you wont be getting any more even if you rev to the 6.5k redline. The breathing apparatus on the car is really just that restrictive.

To tell the truth I'm beginning to think I'd have been better off with a Forester, were it not for the abundance of CUVs/SUVs in our household. IMO the ideal rally refugee garage would have the FXT, and either an STI or an Evo.
    that's true, even STIs have low-end power compared to Evos, 5500rpm pa nga lang peek ka na, while Evos naman lack low-ends and are rich at top-end, kaya 5-7k rpm dikit pa rin leeg mo sa seats. maliit kasi at supot turbos ng subbies compared sa Evos. enjoy mo subbies sa Manila steets wherein sipa agad siya, while at longdrives ok pa rin naman pero i noticed na medyo mabagal na magaccelerate pag 200kph up na pero abot pa rin sa top speed.

i initially thought of buying the STI, but a friend who owns a WRX, spent P70k on Turboback Exhaust, Remap ECU and filter, presto! he is now at 240whp, equal to an STI with exhaust mod.

Dr kamiya, may mods ka na ba? talagang restrictive airflow ng stock WRX. all we have to do is maximize muna potential ng turbo, im sure marami pang ilalabas yan. maraming WRX owners dito na lumalamon ng modified STIs/ Evos.
    although many times parang gusto ko na rin ibenta for na STI, pero iba talaga ride quality ng WRX.
    Last edited by yuichi; February 27th, 2008 at 10:33 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    True...
    Impreza WRX STI = Lancer EVO
    Impreza WRX = Lancer Ralliart
    hehehe, im not sure if Lancer Ralliart nga for WRX.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Oh well.. if the engines are the same, then most likely C!'s numbers are a reflection of the vagaries of testing an auto against a manual on a street launch. Because while they frown on tire-squealing mayhem with a manual, they still torque brake the autos, which could be a huge advantage in this situation. I think Senor Kookie would be better able to explain this... I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow.

Me? I just drop the clutch. Of course, if I feel the tester can't take it, I don't.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yuichi View Post
    hehehe, im not sure if Lancer Ralliart nga for WRX.
    Only the upcoming new one because it'll have a turbo. Previous Lancer Ralliarts were N/A and were equivalent to older SE-R's and Proteges.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    that's true, even STIs have low-end power compared to Evos, 5500rpm pa nga lang peek ka na, while Evos naman lack low-ends and are rich at top-end, kaya 5-7k rpm dikit pa rin leeg mo sa seats. maliit kasi at supot turbos ng subbies compared sa Evos. enjoy mo subbies sa Manila steets wherein sipa agad siya, while at longdrives ok pa rin naman pero i noticed na medyo mabagal na magaccelerate pag 200kph up na pero abot pa rin sa top speed.

i initially thought of buying the STI, but a friend who owns a WRX, spent P70k on Turboback Exhaust, Remap ECU and filter, presto! he is now at 240whp, equal to an STI with exhaust mod.

Dr kamiya, may mods ka na ba? talagang restrictive airflow ng stock WRX. all we have to do is maximize muna potential ng turbo, im sure marami pang ilalabas yan. maraming WRX owners dito na lumalamon ng modified STIs/ Evos.
    although many times parang gusto ko na rin ibenta for na STI, pero iba talaga ride quality ng WRX.
    Drivetrain on my car is still stock, mags at lowering springs lang.
    Considered modding the car many times, but at the end of the day I remember how the car is nice, quiet and comfy. Much more useful traits for a daily drive than an additional 60whp.

Modding the car is sure to give it loads more character, especially uncorking that boxter sound with an exhaust, but at the same time I'm afraid of losing of making the car too loud.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Wtf was that last sentence? Haha..
    Edit: "I'm afraid of making the car too loud" lang dapat.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    So, it appears Clarkson's comparo was not entirely appopriate, the C! Mag testing has something funny going on that Niky will clarify, and the WRX is more daily driver-worthy akin to the upcoming Evo ralliart. Magkano kaya yung ralliart paglabas dito at ano specs/features? Just kidding. Am perfectly happy with my ultimate sleeper FXT na LAGING pinapara ng mga FX/Revo passengers!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007

Aba, huwag bro! Walang moon roof ang STi at wala ding opportunity for semi-outdoor :naughty2:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Oh well.. if the engines are the same, then most likely C!'s numbers are a reflection of the vagaries of testing an auto against a manual on a street launch. Because while they frown on tire-squealing mayhem with a manual, they still torque brake the autos, which could be a huge advantage in this situation. I think Senor Kookie would be better able to explain this... I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow.

Me? I just drop the clutch. Of course, if I feel the tester can't take it, I don't.
    Sige, Niky, paki update lang kami at nakakalito kasi. Wala na nga ang Impreza sedan dito eh parang lumalabas talo pa siya ng FXT.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Jeremy Clarkson on Subaru Impreza 2.5 WRX (December 9, 2007)