New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Distance-based pa rin CVTF? Coding and weekend car lang kasi tong XV and baba pa rin mileage.
    Subaru suggests actual mileage not age of vehicle. Garage queen pala yang XV mo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I changed the coolant on my XT last year, around 48k actual mileage. It was 4 years into my ownership of the vehicle. As I have said, you can opt to change fluids prior to their expected change interval.

Parang oil din yan, you can change it in shorter periods. Nasa sa iyo lang yan. Mga 2k lang ginastos ko for the coolant change, kasama na labor dun. Mas mahal pa isang full tank of gas ng XT dyan.

By the way, I used Ravenol HJC FL22 coolant as it meets the Subaru requirements for their coolants.

Thank you 2018 Subaru XV Non-casa PMS

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    You have to consider that Metro Manila is considered as extreme driving conditions ... plus we have high humidity so fluids need to be changed more frequently than recommended ...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    *kevindd992002
    Your inbox is full. Will try to message you again later.
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; June 18th, 2021 at 01:02 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I changed the coolant on my XT last year, around 48k actual mileage. It was 4 years into my ownership of the vehicle. As I have said, you can opt to change fluids prior to their expected change interval.

Parang oil din yan, you can change it in shorter periods. Nasa sa iyo lang yan. Mga 2k lang ginastos ko for the coolant change, kasama na labor dun. Mas mahal pa isang full tank of gas ng XT dyan.

By the way, I used Ravenol HJC FL22 coolant as it meets the Subaru requirements for their coolants.

But how do you base your decision of wanting to change fluids before the expected change interval? This is where I'm kinda confused. Do you just go with gut feel? I know it shouldn't be rocket science but this is just my engineering mind working. If there were bases/tests that can confirm to see if one part/fluid needs to be changed then that is better but for things in cars like these I don't really know.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    You have to consider that Metro Manila is considered as extreme driving conditions ... plus we have high humidity so fluids need to be changed more frequently than recommended ...
    I see. So is this generally true for all the fluids?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    IIRC it was mentioned before that gensets and some service vehicles' maintenance cycles are counted by hours run instead of mileage (obviously for gensets). This is applicable for emergency vehicles like ambulances and fire trucks that spend lots of time idling.

If we apply this to our cars then we can say it won't matter if you just do 2kms a day round trip if you spend 4 hours total in traffic. Whether you're moving or not the fluids will still heat up and circulate.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    IIRC it was mentioned before that gensets and some service vehicles' maintenance cycles are counted by hours run instead of mileage (obviously for gensets). This is applicable for emergency vehicles like ambulances and fire trucks that spend lots of time idling.

If we apply this to our cars then we can say it won't matter if you just do 2kms a day round trip if you spend 4 hours total in traffic. Whether you're moving or not the fluids will still heat up and circulate.
    In my case, I got most of my mileage driving from Taguig to Pampanga (through NLEX) and back. It's also my main car in Manila and pre-pandemic I use it to drive 4 Km (around 20 mins) to work and back, so short drives. And then some of those occasional mall visits with heavy traffic road on the road. So the car experiences idling here and there but most of the time it doesn't.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I read about oils needing to be changed with time due to humidity, but what about coolant, which contains water? Anyway, the best reason for changing it came from Egan, in his words "Mga 2k lang ginastos ko for the coolant change, kasama na labor dun."

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    In the US they use refractometers or coolant strips to check coolant. For brake fluid may mga murang tester sa Shopee/Lazada. Engine oil, gear oil and atf are harder to check, kelangan pa sa lab (Monark has this) and mahal (1k+ last time I had it done) kaya mas madali palitan na lang regularly.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast