New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    Yeah, I did research about those methods on how to know if the tires are already candidate for replacement but what I really don't understand is where the wear bar on the tires is. I mean I see an arrow on the sidewall which is also a tread thickness indicator but I don't understand how to use it. I guess I'm just missing something here.

These are stock tires that were never replaced yet. My car is at 60K+ Km now. I drove at NLEX earlier at a constant speed of 60kph, lol, just to be on the safe side.
    Mukhang Kelangan na palitan. For my vehicles, parang Di ko maisip to keep it running with tires used for over 40k km.

My XT has logged around 70k km and I am now on my 3rd set. Most people don’t appreciate fully the value of tires - these things are the only part of your car that comes in contact with pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Those need to be replaced already

60k on one set of car tires is pretty high. I did 50k on my last set.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Even if there are no alignment & camber issues, IMHO, a (little) wear on the outside of the tire is normal, because of cornering forces when the vehicle turns. That’s why its important to rotate their positions in accord with the schedule in the manual.

Parang pantay naman ang wear. Pudpod nga lang na talaga and must be replaced.

but what I really don't understand is where the wear bar on the tires is. I mean I see an arrow on the sidewall which is also a tread thickness indicator but I don't understand how to use it.
    You won’t be able to see the wear bar anymore because your tire is worn too smooth already.

On a new tire, follow the direction of the little arrow on your sidewall to the closest groove. Inside the groove, you will find a raised strip of rubber running across, but not high enough to bridge the groove (nakalubog pa rin sa kanal ng groove). When the tire tread wears down to the point that that little strip of rubber is level with the rest of the tread (it bridges the groove already), your tire needs to be replaced.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    bokal na.. needs replacement na nyan.. from the looks eh matigas na din yung tire compound nyan kaya slippery na..

sulit na sulit na kung umabot ng 60k kms yan stock tires..

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    from mileage alone ang pinaka malayong natakbo ko on a set of 4 tires ay 54t kms. palitin na. technically kalbo na siya wala ka na kasi makakapang wear bars. pantay na.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Mukhang Kelangan na palitan. For my vehicles, parang Di ko maisip to keep it running with tires used for over 40k km.

My XT has logged around 70k km and I am now on my 3rd set. Most people don’t appreciate fully the value of tires - these things are the only part of your car that comes in contact with pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I understand. And I just realized that my last PMS with 2211 Works was Nov 2021 (at 44.5K Km). This is totally negligence on my part and I have no excuse part. I remembered back then that the 2211 Works tech that worked on my card said that my tires are still "ok" but they need to be replaced the next time I have my car serviced.

Regarding your wheel alignment question, no I never had them realigned. I'm reading that this can be the cause of uneven wear on the outside of the tire but is this the only problem that I need to fix? How long is in the interval for when I need a wheel alignment service done on my car's tires?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Even if there are no alignment & camber issues, IMHO, a (little) wear on the outside of the tire is normal, because of cornering forces when the vehicle turns. That’s why its important to rotate their positions in accord with the schedule in the manual.

Parang pantay naman ang wear. Pudpod nga lang na talaga and must be replaced.

You won’t be able to see the wear bar anymore because your tire is worn too smooth already.

On a new tire, follow the direction of the little arrow on your sidewall to the closest groove. Inside the groove, you will find a raised strip of rubber running across, but not high enough to bridge the groove (nakalubog pa rin sa kanal ng groove). When the tire tread wears down to the point that that little strip of rubber is level with the rest of the tread (it bridges the groove already), your tire needs to be replaced.
    Ok, got it! Using that little arrow makes a lot more sense to me now.

As much as I want to use Otani though, parang mas gusto kong magstick sa strictly sa stock tire size which is 225/55R18. The problem is walang ganung exact size ang Otani KC2000 na model. Based sa manual, the 2018 XV accepts two sizes:

225/60R17
    225/55R18

May sense bang mag downgrade to a 17"? If I want to keep on using a 225/55R18, which brand and model would you guys recommend na ka-range lang ng Otani? Btw, the stock tires are Dueller.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    You can't downgrade to 17" because you will have to change your Rims as well.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008

May sense bang mag downgrade to a 17"? If I want to keep on using a 225/55R18, which brand and model would you guys recommend na ka-range lang ng Otani? Btw, the stock tires are Dueller.
    yes, one may not change tyre diameter without changing rim size.

but,
    what is the objective in 'downgrading', i.e., changing the tyre specifications/dimensions?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    You can't downgrade to 17" because you will have to change your Rims as well.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Then why does the manual say it accepts both?

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    yes, one may not change tyre diameter without changing rim size.

but,
    what is the objective in 'downgrading', i.e., changing the tyre specifications/dimensions?
    Do you mean "one MAY CHANGE tyre diameter without changing rim size" instead? I was just thinking out loud if I don't find the exact 18" tire size, at least I have the option to go 17". But I don't know what the disadvantages are if I were to downgrade.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast