New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    Generally, ilang taon ang "overaged" tires?
    Authorities differ in opinion, but the consensus is that "senior citizen" na ang gulong starting at 6 years, and the longest you can stretch them is up to is 10. Replace na talaga at 10.

If badly abused sila, I'd say swap `em out for new at 6. If yung tipong makapal pa talaga (and low mileage, garaged out of the sun) baka pwede pa patagalin. Kakahinayang nga, as sated (but that's the scrooge in me speaking)

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    good treads install at the rear.
    installing the balder tyres at the rear, is akin to removing the feathers from an arrow.
    the arrow will tend to tumble and not run true, and the car loses directionality and will tend to jack-knife when the brakes are applied.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Yup. Since it’s a donut and I guess never mo pa nagamit, just make sure na tama pressure in case you need to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had the opportunity to use the spare tire when I suffered a blown tire in SLEX. I had to use the spare tire going to Tagaytay and back. Yun nga lang, the spare tire is limited to 80kmh. A few friends here in Tsikot were joking which was more agonizing - the flat tire or driving below 80kmh. Hahahaha

I went on to get a new set days later. I was supposed to get new tires early this year and I was just maximizing the life of the tires until one failed on me. Sarap Kaya feeling ng drive with new tires!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    good treads install at the rear.
    installing the balder tyres at the rear, is akin to removing the feathers from an arrow.
    the arrow will tend to tumble and not run true, and the car loses directionality and will tend to jack-knife when the brakes are applied.
    Ok, so which is which? In my case (in the interim), masama na nasa rear yung balder tires?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    It looks like it's better nga to put the thicker tire sets on the rear:

6 Common Tire Myths Debunked

6. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Authorities differ in opinion, but the consensus is that "senior citizen" na ang gulong starting at 6 years, and the longest you can stretch them is up to is 10. Replace na talaga at 10.

If badly abused sila, I'd say swap `em out for new at 6. If yung tipong makapal pa talaga (and low mileage, garaged out of the sun) baka pwede pa patagalin. Kakahinayang nga, as sated (but that's the scrooge in me speaking)
    This is only applicable for low mileage cars, right? If pudpod naman na yung harap, then that means the rear tires are also due for replacement anyway even if they're still a bit thicker.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Here's how my front tires look by the way:

Do you have any comments on how bad their treads are? And why is the tread wear uneven and just more towards the outside edge? The wear on the rear tires look to be even.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Do you have any comments on how bad their treads are? And why is the tread wear uneven and just more towards the outside edge? The wear on the rear tires look to be even.
    well,
    there's the tyre wear bar that's built into the tyre tread.
    then, there's the lincoln penny test. google it, po.
    but one quick look at your tyre, it's obvious it's way past either of these.
    heh heh.

then there's the age. tyres 6 years or older, even if still with good tread, are candidates for replacement.
    but there's lively debate on this.

then, there's carcass failure. the so-called "oblong tyre" or "hernia tyre". one day, it might just burst.
    known causes include manufacturing glitch, over- and under-pressure, trauma, e.g., curbed, pot-holed and such....

un-even tread wear usually suggests the need for camber, caster, and toe adjustments.
    also, proper inflation pressures.

so why should bald tyres be replaced?
    1. bald tyres offer diminished stopping power in certain road conditions.
    2. bald tyres puncture more easily, because the thickness of the rubber is already thin.
    3. we have to keep supplying carritones and smaller boats with these bald tyres, else they be forced to use more expensive "good tyres". heh heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 1st, 2023 at 11:52 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006

How many km were these tires used? Do you have your wheel alignment checked regularly?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    well,
    there's the tyre wear bar that's built into the tyre tread.
    then, there's the lincoln penny test. google it, po.
    but one quick look at your tyre, it's obvious it's way past either of these.
    heh heh.

then there's the age. tyres 6 years or older, even if still with good tread, are candidates for replacement.
    but there's lively debate on this.

then, there's carcass failure. the so-called "oblong tyre" or "hernia tyre". one day, it might just burst.
    known causes include manufacturing glitch, over- and under-pressure, trauma, e.g., curbed, pot-holed and such....

un-even tread wear usually suggests the need for camber, caster, and toe adjustments.
    also, proper inflation pressures.

so why should bald tyres be replaced?
    1. bald tyres offer diminished stopping power in certain road conditions.
    2. bald tyres puncture more easily, because the thickness of the rubber is already thin.
    3. we have to keep supplying carritones and smaller boats with these bald tyres, else they be forced to use more expensive "good tyres". heh heh heh.
    Yeah, I did research about those methods on how to know if the tires are already candidate for replacement but what I really don't understand is where the wear bar on the tires is. I mean I see an arrow on the sidewall which is also a tread thickness indicator but I don't understand how to use it. I guess I'm just missing something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    How many km were these tires used? Do you have your wheel alignment checked regularly?

These are stock tires that were never replaced yet. My car is at 60K+ Km now. I drove at NLEX earlier at a constant speed of 60kph, lol, just to be on the safe side.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast