New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Another thing is, since we mostly drive forward rather than in reverse, the front tires will usually be the first pair to encounter puddles of water on the road and would therefore be more likely hydroplane before the rear tires. That's why it may make sense to put the better tires up front for the meantime until you get new ones.

Used to believe this also but then found out that new tires should be prioritize to be installed in the rear ...
    Last edited by Walter; February 1st, 2023 at 02:48 PM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    You can look at Otani tires. I just replaced last December all 4 tires of my XT with Otani KC2000. Mga 5k+ each tire
    For a 225/?? `17 or `18 tire, that’s a reasonable price for a midrange manufacturer.

I would never* buy a budget tire, even though they can sometimes be half the price of a midrange brand. All tires may look identical when brand new, but I’ve witnessed how quickly the cheaper brands wear out on vehicles that have them.

*On second thought, I would, but only for a brand new spare tire that we all hope to never have to need anyway (I don’t include the spare in rotation). Its still better than repurposing one of the old tires. It may look useable, but since they’re old, they could be succumbing to dry rot na.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by viper888 View Post
    There are reasonably priced Dunlops
    IIRC Dunlops are connected with Goodyear, another quality midrange brand din.

Quote Originally Posted by viper888 View Post
    Needing to change all at the same time is an annoying fact of AWD cars
    Unless one is really hard up, its still best to change all 4 at the same time (lalo na if may promo).
    A lot of people waste more money pa nga on silly accessories & so called "upgrades"

Pero ang gulong, impt. yan. No need to splurge, but don't scrimp either!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    For a 225/?? `17 or `18 tire, that’s a reasonable price for a midrange manufacturer.

I would never* buy a budget tire, even though they can sometimes be half the price of a midrange brand. All tires may look identical when brand new, but I’ve witnessed how quickly the cheaper brands wear out on vehicles that have them.

*On second thought, I would, but only for a brand new spare tire that we all hope to never have to need anyway (I don’t include the spare in rotation). Its still better than repurposing one of the old tires. It may look useable, but since they’re old, they could be succumbing to dry rot na.
    I bought those tires on recommendation from a fellow Tsikoteer who is very knowledgeable about tires. He knows how I drive so I follow his recommendations.

In as much as I want to buy premium brands like Bridgestone or Michelin but we have other priorities. We look for the best product within our budget/ Good value talaga yung Otani compared to the likes of Sailun or Maxxis. Other good value brands are Achilles, Accelera, and GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Feb 2013

Unless one is really hard up, its still best to change all 4 at the same time (lalo na if may promo).
    What is the best course of action in my case? Buy 4 new tires and then what? Do I change my spare tire with the usable old rear tires that I have and then dispose the worn out old front tires?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    What is the best course of action in my case? Buy 4 new tires and then what? Do I change my spare tire with the usable old rear tires that I have and then dispose the worn out old front tires?
    Go buy new tires since you are due for replacement anyway. By the way, Subaru uses a semi-donut for the spare and you can only use it for when experiencing a flat on the road (limited to 80kmh).

7. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    In as much as I want to buy premium brands like Bridgestone or Michelin but we have other priorities. We look for the best product within our budget/ Good value talaga yung Otani compared to the likes of Sailun or Maxxis. Other good value brands are Achilles, Accelera, and GT.
    Oo naman.

On second thought, come to think of it, a brand new budget tire (Sailun, Maxxis, etc.) will be (hypothetically) safer pa rin than even a high end brand na pudpod na, or overaged. Nakakahinayang pa naman lalo in the latter case (overaged) and makapal pa.

By the way, GT and Achilles are ok.

Agree ako with Egan, buy 4 new na if kaya naman (and not just being stingy).

Wala rin resale value ang old tires, scrap value lang (ginagawang paso, etc.)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yun din alam ko ba dapat yun mas makapal na gulong ilagay sa harap but apparently I was wrong.

It should be the other way around newer tires should be installed at the rear assuming two tires lang Ang papalitan.

But if ako OP. I’ll replace all 4 tires. Same age lang sila lahat so kahit makapal pa eh maybe Meier na dry rot.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Go buy new tires since you are due for replacement anyway. By the way, Subaru uses a semi-donut for the spare and you can only use it for when experiencing a flat on the road (limited to 80kmh).

Ok, so stay put lang si spare tire? And dispose ko na yung 4 old tires?

Oo naman.

On second thought, come to think of it, a brand new budget tire (Sailun, Maxxis, etc.) will be (hypothetically) safer pa rin than even a high end brand na pudpod na, or overaged. Nakakahinayang pa naman lalo in the latter case (overaged) and makapal pa.

By the way, GT and Achilles are ok.

Agree ako with Egan, buy 4 new na if kaya naman (and not just being stingy).

Wala rin resale value ang old tires, scrap value lang (ginagawang paso, etc.)
    Yeah, kaya naman. I just don't want to splurge kung wala namang benefits for me. Generally, ilang taon ang "overaged" tires?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ok, so stay put lang si spare tire? And dispose ko na yung 4 old tires?

Yeah, kaya naman. I just don't want to splurge kung wala namang benefits for me. Generally, ilang taon ang "overaged" tires?
    Yup. Since it’s a donut and I guess never mo pa nagamit, just make sure na tama pressure in case you need to use it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast