New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    I was already told that it's extremely urgent that I replace my car's tires. It's 5 years old and a few months now. I knew since last year that the front tires are super worn out already but it's my fault that I'm a procrastinator. What type/size/brand of tires should I be getting? I'm looking for bang-for-the-buck ones (not super expensive).

For the meantime, if I have the current rear tires (thicker) and front tires (thinner) switched, would that at least give me safer driving?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Since AWD, I highly suggest replacing all 4 tires. You can look at Otani tires. I just replaced last December all 4 tires of my XT with Otani KC2000. Mga 5k+ each tire, bang for the buck!

Better to have the worn out tires on the back and the still good ones on the back. Kahit AWD yung mga Subies, there is still more front traction thus the front set gets worn out more than the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Egan101; February 1st, 2023 at 12:13 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    I was already told that it's extremely urgent that I replace my car's tires. It's 5 years old and a few months now. I knew since last year that the front tires are super worn out already but it's my fault that I'm a procrastinator. What type/size/brand of tires should I be getting? I'm looking for bang-for-the-buck ones (not super expensive).

For the meantime, if I have the current rear tires (thicker) and front tires (thinner) switched, would that at least give me safer driving?
    errr,
    do you really need to replace your current tyres urgently?
    the innernet is full of guidelines.

if i were me,
    i'd consult the owner's manual for the factory spec tyres.
    manufacturer's specs is usually the safe choice.

and no,
    i'm not a fan of thin-here-thick-there tyre combos.
    but that's just me.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 1st, 2023 at 12:18 PM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Since AWD, I highly suggest replacing all 4 tires. You can look at Otani tires. I just replaced last December all 4 tires of my XT with Otani KC2000. Mga 5k+ each tire, bang for the buck!

Better to have the worn out tires on the back and the still good ones on the back. Kahit AWD yung mga Subies, there is still more front traction thus the front set gets worn out more than the rear.

Is Otani considered to be a premium brand of tires? Where'd you get your KC2000's? Would you rather replace or upgrade to a better performing tire set?

You mean worn out tires on the back and the still good ones on the front, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    errr,
    do you really need to replace your current tyres urgently?
    the innernet is full of guidelines.

if i were me,
    i'd consult the owner's manual for the factory spec tyres.
    manufacturer's specs is usually the safe choice.

and no,
    i'm not a fan of thin-here-thick-there tyre combos.
    but that's just me.
    What do you mean? My plan is to "replace" them, not "upgrade", so manufacture-spec'd tires will do. Everybody is telling me that they need to be replaced already, including some parking attendants, lol. The front tires do look to be super worn out which makes driving dangerous in general.

Yes, the thin-here-thick-there combo is just temporary until I'm able to secure a new set of tires.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Regardless of AWD, the front tires will naturally wear faster because you use them for steering, so even tires on AWD vehicles benefit from regular tire rotation.

Another thing is, since we mostly drive forward rather than in reverse, the front tires will usually be the first pair to encounter puddles of water on the road and would therefore be more likely hydroplane before the rear tires. That's why it may make sense to put the better tires up front for the meantime until you get new ones.

Since you're on a budget, just get tires with the same section width and aspect ratios as your current tires so you won't have to buy new mag wheels. Replace your tire valves as well.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    Is Otani considered to be a premium brand of tires? Where'd you get your KC2000's? Would you rather replace or upgrade to a better performing tire set?

You mean worn out tires on the back and the still good ones on the front, right?

What do you mean? My plan is to "replace" them, not "upgrade", so manufacture-spec'd tires will do. Everybody is telling me that they need to be replaced already, including some parking attendants, lol. The front tires do look to be super worn out which makes driving dangerous in general.

Yes, the thin-here-thick-there combo is just temporary until I'm able to secure a new set of tires.
    The KC2000 is the UHP tire option for Otani. It is made from Thailand. They are better than the China brands for around the same price. I used two sets of Bridgestone Duelers already and the Otani’s are just as good. Average ko is around 35k km per set of tires and that’s with how I drive. I also use Otani (EK1000) on my ASX.

Yep, the still good ones on the front.

Mayrun ata Otani dealer sa Banawe. I got my Otani tires from a fellow Tsikoteer.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Regardless of AWD, the front tires will naturally wear faster because you use them for steering, so even tires on AWD vehicles benefit from regular tire rotation.

Another thing is, since we mostly drive forward rather than in reverse, the front tires will usually be the first pair to encounter puddles of water on the road and would therefore be more likely hydroplane before the rear tires. That's why it may make sense to put the better tires up front for the meantime until you get new ones.

Since you're on a budget, just get tires with the same section width and aspect ratios as your current tires so you won't have to buy new mag wheels. Replace your tire valves as well.
    Unless of course you drive a RWD car with different tire sizes for the front and rear.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post

Ok, I'll make sure to have the tires switched today. I'll be driving in NLEX later tonight. What is the general interval for when you need to have your tires rotated?

What are the benefits of upgrading to a better spec'd tire set anyway?

For tire valves, any specific brands I'm looking for? And how long do tire valves last in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The KC2000 is the UHP tire option for Otani. It is made from Thailand. They are better than the China brands for around the same price. I used two sets of Bridgestone Duelers already and the Otani’s are just as good. Average ko is around 35k km per set of tires and that’s with how I drive. I also use Otani (EK1000) on my ASX.

Yep, the still good ones on the front.

Mayrun ata Otani dealer sa Banawe. I got my Otani tires from a fellow Tsikoteer.

Ok, got it. Is UHP the highest tier of Otani na? I usually drive around Taguig and from Taguig to Ortigas (and back). Plus every two weeks or so, I go home to Pampanga and back. So no aggressive driving of any sort.

May mga fakes din ba ng Otani? Hirap pa naman sa Banawe kapag wala kang alam.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    You can look around for shops in Evangelista, it will probably be nearer for you assuming you stay in Taguig

There are reasonably priced Dunlops, I had those fitted to my sister's Subaru. It came out to 25k for all as far as I remember

Needing to change all at the same time is an annoying fact of AWD cars

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I switch the front and rear sets every time I change oil (which is every 10k km). Since the car is lifted to check for leaks or anything underneath, I just ask the technicians to switch the tires also.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast