New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Are you allergic to something?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 64.71%
  • No

5 29.41%
  • I don't know.

1 5.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Nababahing din ako whenever I inhale dust, pero hindi naman singlala ng allergic rhinitis.

I knew this girl in college who was allergic to both chicken and chocolates. Yun ang talaga namang napakasaklap.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    me, I have I fraustrating allergy, di ko alam kung ano tawag basta it just appears on random days kahit hindi kain ng shrimps etc. it just activates when my skin is exposed to water or even my own little sweat. and also when the skin is stressed like a strong clap of hands or cloths with sharp edges/surfaces, they create these rashes. they just appear on some few days.

imagine with me guys, "Allergic to Water" there are times kung maliligo ka, you get rashes all over your body. few times when you go to swimming pools or beaches. my friends just ask me why I get rashes. I had a doctor seem having trouble believing me.

my temporary remedey is to use a anti-allergy medicine like claritine or celestamine, but I only barely take them when the rashes are unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

I sometimes develop skin rashes after a few days that I am exposed to dry and cold weather. Iyon bang tipong masarap kamutin at magsusugat na. Tried using a lot of solutions but, still the same... That's why I sometimes encounter difficulties when I travel to countries located in the temperate zones...

7101:hooray:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Penduko View Post
    Pareho tayo sir, basta malamig na ang klima, may lumalabas na sa skin ko na rashes na ubod ng kati. Yun bang napapaihi ka na sa kaka kamot makati pa rin. ano kaya gamot dun?
    thanks to your descriptions guys, I have also have a bit similar symptons like that. so I took a shot again looking for google. few years ago I didn't find a related problem.

and now I found this late 2008 article: Girl Allergic to water

her desciptions are very similar to mine. but mine does not occur everyday. bwahh... it would be horse-sh*t life if it was.

btw CVT & Pedro: baka your symptoms is similar to a Cold urticaria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_cold_urticaria

Diagnosis
    Diagnosis is typically obtained by an allergist or other licensed practitioner performing a cold test. During the cold test, a piece of ice is held against the forearm, typically for 3-5 minutes. A positive result is a specific looking mark of raised red hives. The hives maybe the shape of the ice, or it may radiate from the contact area of the ice.

Treatment
    Obviously, the most important thing is to stay warm. Some air conditioned rooms and pools may be too cold for the skin. Warming up immediately after exposure to cold temperatures usually helps control the hives before they get worse. Although, the hives do not instantaneously disappear after warming the affected area(s), warming up afterwards reduces the recovery time it takes for the hives to go away. Some patients report that spreading butter or vegetable shortening on their affected areas reduces the risk of future eruptions.

Allergy medications containing antihistamines such as Benadryl, Zyrtec, Claritin, Periactin and Allegra may be taken orally to prevent and relieve some of the hives (depending on the severity of the allergy).[2] There are also topical antihistamine creams which are used to help relieve hives in other conditions but there is not any documentation stating it will relieve hives induced by cold temperature.

Cold hives can result in a potentially serious, or even fatal, systemic reaction ( anaphylactic shock ). People with cold hives may have to carry an injectable form of epinephrine (like Epi-pen or Twinject) for use in the event of a serious reaction.

Contrary to popular belief, immersing the affected area in hot water or a warmer environment does not improve conditions. Immersing the affected area in warm water or a warmer environment is a means of which is used to help bring the allergic reaction under control so it does not become worse.

The best treatment for this allergy is avoiding exposure to cold temperature.

Ebastine has been proposed as an approach to prevent acquired cold urticaria.[3]
    I just tried the putting ice on my forarm and it did made the rashes. I think I have a Cold/Aquagenic Urticaria.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i have rhinitis (usually attacking if the weather is changing from cold to summer).
    and i am allergic to shrimp.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Question for Doctors or Pharmacists:

Why can't I buy Epinephrine at Mercury drug? I get severe allergic reaction (Anaphylaxis) so I need to carry around my Epi which was given to me by my Allergologist. It is really a big hassle to go to my Allergologist, someone has to sign up at 6 am (no kidding) then go back in the afternoon for the actual appointment which is never on schedule. Penitence to visit my Allergologist, I have no new complaints, I just need Epinephrine.

Also, why are there so few allergologist for adults in Metro Manila? There's only 1 in Makati Med and 3 in SLMC BGC
    Last edited by _Cathy_; August 25th, 2014 at 01:33 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Question for Doctors or Pharmacists:

Why can't I buy Epinephrine at Mercury drug? I get severe allergic reaction (Anaphylaxis) so I need to carry around my Epi which was given to me by my Allergologist. It is really a big hassle to go to my Allergologist, someone has to sign up at 6 am (no kidding) then go back in the afternoon for the actual appointment and never on time

Also, why are there so few allergologist for adults in Metro Manila?
    epi can kill very quickly, in the hands of an un-trained and/or susceptible patient, OR, in its absence when one needs it..
    have you tried epi-pen?
    it's a prescription drug.
    buying epi only when one needs it then and there, somehow defeats its raison de etre..

allergology is not a very popular specialty among doctors. everyone wants either surgery, cardiology, pedia, or ob-gyne..
    in medicine, it's not so much the money, as it is the lifestyle that the specialty allows... "we don't choose the specialty.. the specialty chooses us.." i know of someones who went thru three specialty trainings one after the other.. , settled on the last one finally!
    Last edited by dr. d; August 25th, 2014 at 01:48 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    epi can kill very quickly, in the hands of an un-trained and/or susceptible patient. it's a prescription drug.

allergology is not a very popular specialty among doctors. everyone wants either surgery, cardiology, pedia, or ob-gyne..
    in medicine, it's not so much the money, as it is the lifestyle that the specialty allows...
    Oh, so it is still sold in Mercury? I asked 2 or 3 Mercury drugs before and they said they do not carry Epi. Mine came direct from my Allergologist. It's in a small glass ampule and it came along with a syringe. I only need to inject on my thigh.

I actually thought Allergology is so profitable because PF is expensive and patients are lining up. I was computing in my head, on the PF X number of patients, my doctor is raking in hundreds of thousands a month just on PF alone.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    have you tried epi-pen?

and patients are lining up because, as you said, there are so few of these doctors around..
    and some surgeons make more than that, in one week.. but you should also see their BIR papers.. they practically support some BIR branches by themselves.. it is not true that most surgeons do not pay their rightful taxes..
    Last edited by dr. d; August 25th, 2014 at 01:53 PM.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    allergic ako sa mga babaeng malalaki ang hinaharap nag-iinit katawan ko at may bumubukol sa harapan ko pag nakakakita ako

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Syuryuken View Post
    allergic ako sa mga babaeng malalaki ang hinaharap nag-iinit katawan ko at may bumubukol sa harapan ko pag nakakakita ako
    pa-tanggal mo, bossing. baka kanser na yan..

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    pa-tanggal mo, bossing. baka kanser na yan..
    kaya pa namang gamutin ni misis

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Are you allergic?