New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Gabriel "Flash" Elorde

Training nya dati walang mga Alaxan or Red Bull or Gatorade, gatas ng kalabaw daw ang hinihigup nya.

Facial skin niya was noted to be just as thick as actor Charles Bronson's, a natural born fighter.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was also wondering why Elorde was not even mentioned even if he was the Super Featherweight champion for 7 years...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gabriel "Flash" Elorde (March 25, 1935 – January 2, 1985) is widely considered as one of the greatest Filipino boxers of all time along with featherweight slugger Manny Pacquiao and flyweight champion in the 1920s Pancho Villa . He was born and raised in the town of Bogo, Cebu. He was much beloved in the Philippines as a sports and cultural icon, being the first Filipino international boxing champion since 1920s boxer Pancho Villa.

Elorde was the WBC Junior lightweight (Super Featherweight) champion from March 20, 1960 until June 15, 1967 and WBA Super featherweight champion from February 16, 1963 to June 15, 1967 making him the longest reigning world junior lightweight champion ever (seven years and three months). He also outpointed all time great featherweight champion Sandy Saddler in 1955 in a non-title bout. In 1956 he was given a rematch with Saddler, this time with Saddler's featherweight title on the line, but Elorde suffered a cut eye and lost the fight on a 13th round TKO.

Elorde also challenged lightweight Carlos Ortiz for his world title on two occasions. He was stopped both times by Ortiz in the fourteenth round.

Elorde retired with a record of 87 wins (33 KOs), 27 losses and 2 draws and was named "the greatest world junior lightweight boxing champion in WBC history" in 1974.

After his retirement, Elorde remained in the Philippines within the public eye, prominent as a popular commercial endorser, especially of San Miguel Beer. In fact, his San Miguel Beer TV commercial (which he made with Bert Marcelo and Rico J. Puno) wherein he famously said the words ".... isang platitong mani (one plate of peanuts) was recently named as the No.1 Filipino advertisement of all time.

He also remained active in the field of boxing.

A chain smoker, Elorde died of lung cancer at the age of 49.

In 1993, he became the first Asian inducted into the New York-based International Boxing Hall of Fame. He was also enshrined into the World Boxing Hall of Fame. Elorde's father-in-law, Lope Sarreal, was one of Asia's most prominent boxing promoters who was himself later inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Para sa akin si Elorde talaga ang greatest pinoy boxer of all time.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Never knew anything about Pancho Villa. 100 pro-fights before the age of 24, wow!

died of ulcerated tooth,

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Ayaw nyo kay Pacquiao?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    For me it's Flash Elorde.

:boxing1: [SIZE="1"]3189[/SIZE]

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i remember my elementary days (1976-1981) when i was still in living panay island....the local stations of bombo radio in iloilo and negros have a AM radio drama series about the life of pancho villa.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    When I was in UST every morning sa Dapitan before mag Lacson (going to UST) there's this guy who "practices" boxing sa left side parking lot right before McDo or sa McDo parking lot mismo along Dapitan. Maybe he's the one?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    It's Pancho Villa and Flash Elorde, a lot of the attention Manny gets is because of the people in high places he has associated himself with. Besides if Pancho and Flash fought Manny they would probably beat him. Other than good Mexican fighters who else has Manny beat anyways? It's too bad they came along before all the hype in boxing was around to get them all the money that Manny makes in one fight.
    Last edited by redorange; September 9th, 2007 at 04:53 PM.

Who is the greatest Filipino boxer?