New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    gasoline vapor is heavier than air. so as long as the source of combustion is at a higher elevation than the gas tank inlet it will not ignite. but put the cigarete below the inlet and it can caught fire. it will not go "booom!". you need a certain ratio of gasoline vapor/air mixture for that to happen. it's like your new year's bamboo cannon, too much kalburo/lighter fluid/gasoline and all you get is a flame shooting out, but get the right mixture and it goes "booom!" i think that only happens in the movies.

i have also tried before throwing a lit cigarete on a half-full pail of gasoline, nothing happened. this is because the gasoline vapor fills the pail to the brim and there is no air/oxygen to mix with it. or maybe i was just lucky ehehehe!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    well said..

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    sa open space mababa ang percentages na sinasabi ninyong "KABOOM" dahil open atmosphere, pwera lang kung ito ay confined space which result of "BLEVE"( Boiling Liquid Evaporation Vapor Explosion),katulad ng LPG sa bahay-kapag wala itong proper ventilation at nag -accumulate ng gas at remember the fire trangle which compose of three element-fuel/heat/and oxygen,missing of one element in the fire trangle will not be ignite,but if this three element combine automatically fire will be present.

lahat ng gas station lalo na yung ginagamit nilang pump to fill.eh may automatic relief valve 'yan,kung tawagin ay "SAFETY RELIEF VALVE" to avoid inhibit any sourcer of ignition,kahit sindihan mo pa eh hindi siya mag re-result ng fire,pero once there is leak on the line and the safety valve is not working properly eh dyan na nag sissimula ang sunog,alam natin na mababa ang "FLASH POINT" ng gasoline.kaya for safety precautions bawal mag sigarilyo o'buhay ang makina kapag nag kakarga ka ng gasolina.lalo na sa atin very poor ang maintenance at hindi sila masyadong aware sa safety.walang mawawala kung papatayin natin sandali ang makina kung tayo ay nag kakarga o' kaya naman ang lumayo para manigarilyo-isa lang ang buhay natin kaya pag kamahalin.........

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    minsan, yung isang kasamahan ko sa laboratory, naiwan nya sa tabi ng heating oven isang lata ng resin solution na merong toluene (solvent ito gamit sa rugby, parang gasolina din flammability property nito). nung palapit na sya...biglang
    "FWWWAAAB!" -- hindi "BOOM"! parang mini nuclear explosion yung apoy... tapos nagliyab na yung lata..panic sya. buti na lang may CO2 type fire extinguisher kami, ininsprayan ko agad.

so..hindi talga "BOOM"! exagerrate ko lang for dramatic epek :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehe. the question is, do you guys really want to prove these theories correct and risk physical and material damage? Kaya nga tinawag na safety precautions e!

Pero di ako naniniwala dun sa 'turn cellphone off'.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have you guys seen Zoolander?!

HAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pajerokid
    Pero di ako naniniwala dun sa 'turn cellphone off'.
    ...yep, busted na yan sa mythbusters.

...nevertheless, i still find it stupid to toke up right beside a pump.
    Last edited by scarab; November 11th, 2005 at 01:33 AM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    All gasoline stations have "No Smoking Signs" posted all over the place...so just be a good law abiding citizen, simple as that.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    the last time I approached someone about smoking near a gas pump or filling up, was sometime last year...I was really pissed of at the person. After me saying, "Sir, bawal po magsmoke dito.nagpapafillup pa kayo." No response.Dedma. Siguro mga 3-4 tmes ko inulit yun. At the last time I asked, he threw the cigarette aways from the pump but didn't bother to turn it off. I went to where he threw it stepped on it and went back. "Sir, thank you. Nakakahiya lang kasi diba mga pulis kayo? Sana ipakita niyo naman na dapat masunod ang batas na ipinapatol niyo sa mga may sala." Matching smile and went off back to my car. :D Sometimes, we just have to make them realize that it isn't only their lives they're putting on the line. (I'm still pissed off of people filling up while having a smoke. Darn stupid and immature.)

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    naalala ko bigla dad ko...nakatayo siya sa ibabaw mismo kung san kinakarga ng mga truck yung gas para sa gas station...naka-celphone & nagyoyosi...tinignan ko siya ng masama...sabi nya "oo nga pala, bawal mag-celphone" so he put down the phone BUT STILL CONTINUED TO SMOKE. hehehe...tsk tsk. buhay pa naman kami ngayon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
smoking while filling up