New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 84 of 164 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    sino naman nabiktima mo sir?
    kung ako pupusta sa iyo.....kahit +10 pa, considering na si douthit is injured, hindi talaga mananalo gilas.

higante mga kalaban.
    Yung mga basketball fanatics dito sa amin..

I should make more money in the world FIBA championships

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetlucious View Post
    Norwood is way better than santos in intˊl game. Di niyo ba napansin laterals ni norwood? lock down defender siya sa fiba.
    +1. si santos isa sa mga primadona sa pba

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ZENMasterTYL View Post
    +1. si santos isa sa mga primadona sa pba
    Santos? Thinks too highly of himself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    I'd replace David with someone like Lassiter - better defender, good mid- and long-range game, and he doesn't need to shoot the ball 20 times para mag-init. As for Fajardo, I wouldn't replace him with Thoss - if the rules permit, I'd look for a second naturalized candidate, another big with decent shooting, mobility and strength who can share the load with Douthit. Question is whether we can find a willing candidate and get the act passed through Congress in the time left before the Worlds.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I think norwood has evolved and is now better than arwind for our stint at the Worlds. May reliable shooting touch na rin pa naman. Gary has to go nga and maybe lassiter or lutz can play na nga. Much better defenders and shooters din naman. Slaughter and Fajardo are just to slow for int'l games. Takaw foul lang yan IMHO. Pero mas okay na si Junemar kesa kay Greg. Mahirap din sirain chemistry nila so maganda na kunti lang mabago if ever.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by umi001 View Post
    I'd replace David with someone like Lassiter - better defender, good mid- and long-range game, and he doesn't need to shoot the ball 20 times para mag-init. As for Fajardo, I wouldn't replace him with Thoss - if the rules permit, I'd look for a second naturalized candidate, another big with decent shooting, mobility and strength who can share the load with Douthit. Question is whether we can find a willing candidate and get the act passed through Congress in the time left before the Worlds.
    Isa lang ata puwede na naturalized player per team kasi except Qatar.

Kung puwede dalawa, si denzel bowles nga puwede kasi 6-11 na may tira sa labas.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    excited na sa FIBA world cup. baka masabak agad sa group of death ang gilas.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gilas players rewarded with 'seven-figure bonuses' for Korea win

SPORTSMAN Manny V. Pangilinan was so delighted with Gilas Pilipinas' inspiring performance in a semifinal victory over South Korea in the just-concluded Fiba-Asia Championship he ordered that each member of the team be rewarded with - hold your breath - bonuses reaching seven figures.

That was just one of the interesting side stories to come out of what had been a breathtaking weekend for the Filipino sports fan - one which saw Gilas Pilipinas overcome tall odds as well as the loss of starting center Marcus Douthit to finish runner-up behind Iran in Asia's biggest basketball showpiece.

The highlight, of course, came in the semifinal match against Korea when Gilas, spurred on by the injury to Douthit, pulled off an 86-79 victory that should count as one of the proudest moments in Philippine sports for this generation outside of Manny Pacquiao's exploits inside the ring.

For that, they were amply rewarded.

That's not to say, however, that the national players - professionals they may be - went to the Korea game, or every match for that matter, with a potential financial windfall as their overriding motivation.

We dare say that no amount of money can bring out a heroic performance like what we saw from Gilas against the stunned Koreans on Saturday night, which for sure can only be inspired by a certain degree of pride and honor derived from playing for flag and country.

Besides, we also learned from the Fiba-Asia experience that no performance-enhancing drugs concocted, so far, can match the adrenaline rush that 20,000 cheering home fans can give.

Pangilinan, head of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas and known to be one of the most generous team owners in the PBA, was so touched by the performance against Korea that he decided to raise the ante, sources said, announcing the seven-figure bonuses infront of the team moments after the 86-79 victory.

The bonuses are for each of the 12 players and did not include coaches, whose own bonuses are not announced before the team.

Bonuses given out during Gilas victories in the group stages were significantly smaller, sources said, with a P100,000 incentive handed out to the players after the quarterfinal victory over Kazakhstan.

In all, the bonuses came up to a figure that should be enough to "buy an SUV," an insider estimated.

But as big as it was, the windfall could have been bigger since another bonus reaching seven figures awaited the nationals had they won over Iran in the finale, the source added.

Bonuses, of course, are par for the course as far as organized sports is concerned, given out for every major achievement even in small-time cage leagues.

But Gilas' bonuses are not bad, right? Not bad at all.

Source: Source: Gilas players rewarded with 'seven-figure bonuses' for Korea win | PBA | SPIN.PH - Sports Interactive Network Philippines

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    ung mga lay-ups ni william minsan sablay pa sa sobrang bilis ng spin move. si alapag clutch shooter talaga. si hector calma haven't seen him played yet.
    Hector Calma is one of the best guards in the history of Phil. Basketball.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

10. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    TRUE or not? or gawa lang nang bitter nating mga kababayan?

2014 FIBA World Cup Cancelled to Avoid More Derogatory Remarks in Case of Gilas Defeat
    Posted on August 12, 2013 35

FIBA-Asia MVP Hamed Haddadi
    MADRID, Spain — The International Basketball Association, more commonly known as FIBA, has announced the cancellation of the 2014 FIBA World Cup after various countries decided to withdraw their participation from the prestigious basketball tournament.
    This after Hamed Haddadi, FIBA-Asia Most Valuable Player received various derogatory remarks and insults from Filipino netizens on his Facebook page after Gilas Pilipinas’ defeat at the hands of the Iranian team.
    An undermanned Gilas Pilipinas team once again showed their fighting heart as they put together a valiant effort before eventually succumbing to a bigger, taller Iran team, 85-71, in the title game of the 27th FIBA Asia Men’s Basketball Championship at the Mall of Asia Arena on Sunday. (from ABS-CBN News)
    2014-FIBA-Basketball-World-Cup-Logo-Spain“It is with our deepest regret and sadness to announce the cancellation of the 2014 FIBA World Cup,” said Patrick Baumann, Secretary General of FIBA, during a press conference here in Spain.
    “Various countries, including Croatia, Jordan, Turkey and Germany have expressed concern over this recent development,” he added.
    “Russia, USA, Canada and France was also shocked and decided to pullout from the tournament.”
    Lucca Staiger, shooting guard for the German national basketball team said that, “Out of fear at what Filipinos might say to insult me, or the whole team for that matter, if ever we defeated them, we decided not to play in the tournament instead.”
    Steiger believes that Filipinos would call him a Nazi, Hitler or Achtung among others things, and revealed that he might not be emotionally stable to receive such insults.
    The Turkish national team, nicknamed ”12 Dev Adam” (literally: “12 Giant Men”) also shared their reasoning for pulling-out of the tournament.
    “If a player like Hamed Haddadi is called a Kapre, what more to our team?!” said head coach Orhun Ene; referring to a comment made by a Filipino, likening the 7’2″ Iranian center to a mythical tree demon, who is often described as a tall (7 to 9 ft), brown, hairy male with a beard.
    “I don’t think my players, who are all kapres by Filipino standards, can take that much emotional beating,” he added.
    Other teams did not specify their reasons, but stated that racism should have no place in an international competition, where height and skill and not race are the deciding factors.
    “A country who is genetically ‘not tall’ (sic) cannot be sore losers if they participated in a height-dominated sport and then lost to a bigger and taller team from Asia,” said another player who wishes to be unnamed. “Imagine what would happen at the international stage.”
    According to Baumann, the FIBA World Cup would possibly return for its 2016 iteration if and when either the Philippines does not qualify for it or when Filipinos learn to be gracious in defeat.
    “Although there were Filipinos who were apologetic and embarrassed by the comments left by their fellow countrymen on Haddadi’s Facebook page…” observed SWN resident Sociologist Ramon Christopher Ching. “…it just goes to show that not all sports fans posses the value of sportsmanship. Ironically.”
    “And don’t get me started with media, trying to sugar coat their articles.”
    2014 FIBA World Cup Cancelled to Avoid More Derogatory Remarks in Case of Gilas Defeat | So, What's News?

PHI - 2013 FIBA Asia