New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    IQs and Zs

Night owls are smarter than other people, and now we may know why. The modern world contains many features our slow-to-evolve brains still find unfamiliar—cars, TVs, hot dogs on a stick. But the world has always thrown new stuff at us, and brighter humans may adapt more ably.

Satoshi Kanazawa, a psychologist at The London School of Economics and Political Science, argues that, while we have specialized mental modules for navigation, social interaction, and other age-old tasks, general intelligence is its own module handling only evolutionarily novel circumstances. And he has data showing that people with higher IQs are more likely to have values and preferences that just didn't make sense for our ancestors to embrace. One of those is staying up late.

A previous study found that evening people are smarter than morning people. In a new paper, Kanazawa replicates the finding and provides a theoretical grounding. Because the nocturnal lifestyle allowed by electricity didn't exist 10,000 years ago, we must now rely on general intelligence to override our early-to-bed instincts. So those with more of it stay up later. How much later? See below.
    Night Lights

Bedtimes and wake-up times for Americans in their 20s by IQ.

Very Dull (IQ < 75)

Weekday: 11:41 P.M.-7:20 A.M.

Weekend: 12:35 A.M.-10:09 A.M.

Normal (90 < IQ < 110)

Weekday: 12:10 A.M.-7:32 A.M.

Weekend: 1:13 A.M.-10:14 A.M.

Very Bright (IQ > 125)

Weekday: 12:29 A.M.-7:52 A.M.

Weekend: 1:44 A.M.-11:07 A.M.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...ion-night-owls

Agree?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    First thing that came to mind was my not so bright friend who sleeps between 7 and 8 pm

I don't totally agree though. My sleeping time depends on how much I did for the day. If I am very tired I could fall asleep by 10 pm but I if I did nothing the whole day I'm up until 2 am.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Same here... I don't agree. There are too many factors affecting one's sleeping habits or time they go to bed. Even dull persons can stay up late if they find something interesting to do for the night. They might even do it every night if its convenient for them.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Minuto lang and diperensiya ng study na iyan,- iba na ang IQ mo?....

10.3K:sumo:

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Night Lights

Bedtimes and wake-up times for Americans in their 20s by IQ.

Very Dull (IQ < 75)

Weekday: 11:41 P.M.-7:20 A.M.

Weekend: 12:35 A.M.-10:09 A.M.

Normal (90 < IQ < 110)

Weekday: 12:10 A.M.-7:32 A.M.

Weekend: 1:13 A.M.-10:14 A.M.

Very Bright (IQ > 125)

Weekday: 12:29 A.M.-7:52 A.M.

Weekend: 1:44 A.M.-11:07 A.M.

With this study results, dadami na ang mga mag-o-on-line sa tsikot after 12mn, hehehe.
    Last edited by ooba99; July 11th, 2010 at 04:04 AM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ooba99 View Post
    With this study results, dadami na ang mga mag-o-on-line sa tsikot after 12mn, hehehe.
    At last! May kasama na kami!

I suppose the study takes into account workloads... me? I try to go to sleep early but I can't. Our sched now has us waking up at 7am. Tried going to sleep at 8-9... then 9-10... now I usually sleep at 12-1. And still wake up at 7.

Last I looked, my IQ was around 140 or so. Maybe less now... you know... losing neurons in my old age...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    At last! May kasama na kami!
    Doesn't account for OB ...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    lagi ako puyat. ang talino ko masyado ;)

9. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Bakit ako di mataas?or depende sa pinagpupuyutan?kung nagpupuyat ka kakabasa ng Encarta or nagsosolve ka ng Suduko malamang tataas nga...pero pag alak eh malamang...........

10. Join Date
    May 2008
    This is very positive for us procrastinating students.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
People who stay up later have higher IQs