New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 438 of 452 FirstFirst ... 338388428434435436437438439440441442448 ... LastLast
Results 4,371 to 4,380 of 4513
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    After Caidic kasi, wala na tayong "gunner", yung streak shooter eh..........
    Yung expectations kay Ritualo noon, wala rin.

Pwede pa siguro.......magpa kundisyon lang siya, at bawas ng weight.
    meron sa tingin ko potential shooter in the mold of allan caidic - martin reyes of the up fighting maroons. sana ma-harness ang talent niya nina toroman et al. halos parehong - pareho ang stance nila at shooting form. consistent din ata stats niya pag pumukol from the rainbow area

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    meron din sa juniors, parang 3 pointer din ata. kasi nakita ko stats ang daming treys eh. ung may record ng most points in a game. nakalimutan ko lang kung anong team sa juniors un eh. pero ncaa ata un.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^ah si saret ng jru light bombers. don't know much about the kid though. pero nabasa ko he's only 5'8 daw so medyo may pag-ka munchkin at uno posisyon niya w/c means baka pag dating ng college less shooting na ang philosophy niya

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ^ah si saret ng jru light bombers. don't know much about the kid though. pero nabasa ko he's only 5'8 daw so medyo may pag-ka munchkin at uno posisyon niya w/c means baka pag dating ng college less shooting na ang philosophy niya
    ayun tama! si saret nga. ah 5'8" lang pala, mahihirapan na nga siguro un sa college. pero sana ok pa rin, para atleast may shooter pa rin tayo.

sayang dati yung mga pure shooter nung college, sina richie ticzon, paolo mendoza. pagdating sa pba wala na. hehehe

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    di ko alam yung miranda to smb trade a.

grabe talaga mga smc teams. naghakot ng magagaling. binubuo pa ata ng ginebra ang 2002 admu team. di ako magugulat kung nalipat dun sina gonzales at fonacier haha

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    interesting read...

Thursday, September 24, 2009
    [SIZE=4]The Smart Choice[/SIZE]
    http://chris-tiu.blogspot.com/2009/09/smart-choice.html

It's been more than a month since i last posted and so much has happened in so short a time. So many issues. We know of the Japeth, Marc Barocca and Jobe Nkemakolam issues. 2 out of 3 are current teammates in Gilas (although Japeth is unofficial) and 1 was a former Blue Eagle teammate. All of a sudden, Smart Gilas is back in the spotlight. After mutually agreeing that the Smart Gilas team will compete in the upcoming international competitions after the Powerade team's stint in Tianjin, now they want to review the by-laws of the SBP and push for another PBA-backed team. Then, a ban of Japeth to play in the PBA is the works. I'd rather not talk about these issues right now, but rather my experiences being part of the Smart Gilas team for more than half a year now.

We just completed a 2-day trip to Singapore to play against the Singapore Slingers composed of several American and Australian imports coupled with domestic players. We came out victorious by 3 points, could have been more if not for the lapses of the Singaporean referees. But that's always the case if you're playing a home team abroad. Surprisingly, there were more Filipinos than Singaporeans in the crowd. Thanks to al the Pinoys who came to support us!

It was a very short and tiring trip, but very fruitful indeed. Cj Giles, JV Casio, Mac Baracael, Jason Ballesteros, Magi Sison, Mark Barocca, Japeth Aguilar, Fil-Australians Sebastian Salinas and Matt Schmechtig, and myself made up the 10-man lineup. And guess who was assigned to be my roommate, the hottest man on the news Mark Barocca! We had a long and emotional chat. I was being very attentive and open-minded. I could feel his sincerity, disappointment and frustration. He was very open and candid, which made me realize that he was indeed a victim. I gave him a rosary and a St. Josemaria Escriva prayer card from my mom. He thanked me and he took out a St. Jude prayer booklet which he read before going to bed.

Going back to our trip, we arrived in Singapore on Tuesday around 3 in the afternoon. We arrived at our hotel around 330pm starving!! Because apparently you have to pay extra to be served lunch on the budget airline that we took (Oh, and also an additional $20 to be transferred to a bulkhead seat regardless if you're 5'0 or 6'10 like CJ and Japeth). We grabbed a quick bite and went straight to practice from 5 to 7pm. Mind you, it wasn't even a light practice. After dinner at a Chinese tea house, we were given the option to look around the city for a while with a curfew at 12. I stayed in because my body was shutting down. The following morning, we had breakfast all together as always at 9am. Then, at 12nn we went to the gym to shoot around and get familiar with the rim and the balls. Then back to the hotel for lunch and to rest. We left for the game at 6pm. The game lasted from 8 to 10pm. Thankfully we won and because it was CJ Giles' 24th birthday, we were allowed to check out the nightlife in Singapore but with a curfew because we had to leave for the airport at 4am. On our way home to the hotel, we were all getting anxious because if we were a minute late for curfew, we knew we were going to be in deep deep trouble! We made it on time, whew!

That's Coach Rajko Toroman for you. Discipline cannot be compromised. The Singapore trip, just like any other out of town trip, is no vacation. Every day, every hour is like clock work. Everybody eats together for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Like in Jakarta, you would see players from the other Asian countries coming in the dining hall one or two at a time, eating on their own. That's a no no for Coach T. There's no such thing as a day-off. If game time is still in the afternoon, there's always a shoot around session in the morning. Time for rest means no one leaves his hotel room. And if we have time to check out the city, we always go as a group. Reminds me of my college/high school team where everything is so disciplined and 'professional'. It may sound too rigid for some, but ironically, we have lots of fun traveling abroad as a team despite all that. I always look forward to out of town trips.

And that's what i love about this group. We're all about the same age and full of energy. Practices are always intense. Coach T himself is very intense in every single practice, more so during games. Sometimes we fear for his blood pressure. He is never ever late and there's no excuse for being late. He runs the drills himself while the assistant coaches support him, not the other way around like in many professional teams. He is extremely particular with the details and making the right decisions in every play offensively and defensively. He is a perfectionist.

I truly admire Coach T's dedication to the team, reminding me of my former coaches Norman and Sandy. When he took us to Serbia (his hometown) for 2 weeks of exhibition matches last April, he stayed with us in the hotel during our entire stay there despite his residence being just 10 minutes away. Even during our weights sessions, he would sit there for the entire 2 hours while we work out with our strength and conditioning coach. Some other coaches would probably use that time to take care of their other 'rackets'.

We are aware that there has been some resistance from the local basketball community regarding hiring a foreign coach to be the captain of the ship for the national team. Being under him for several months now, i have come to really appreciate the new system and tactical changes that he has introduced. For that and all the other things that i have mentioned earlier, i am truly grateful to be part of this experience, to be under his wing. I sincerely hope that more local coaches can humble themselves and try to learn this new European philosophy that Coach T has adopted rather than being so close-minded thinking that we already know it all. Maybe you're good enough locally, but outside is an entirely different competition. We always want to learn from the US style, but then again we must accept that we are not genetically gifted like them. This is a great opportunity for Philippine basketball to regain its rightful position in the international spectrum.

This is why i believe that i made the smart choice. Actually, i was more of lucky because i finished my collegiate career right at the perfect time while this new program is being developed. God just has His ways. If i had joined the PBA draft, i might have been disillusioned and my passion for the game might not be the same as it is right now. What better feeling it is to be playing the sport you love, traveling around the world, playing intensely with a special bunch of guys, and most importantly, playing for ONE goal - that is the Philippine flag. A goal that is not unique for the Gilas team, but one that is shared by the 90 million Filipinos all over the world.

Chris

P.S. Who can ever blame Japeth for making that same decision "to play for country"??

Posted by chris at 11:42 PM

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    was shocked.. nalunod daw si Tony Chua nang Red Bull..

naglakad daw sa may marcos highway kasi stranded na yung sasakyan.. kasama driver.. tapos inagos sa marikina river..

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    RIP Tony Chua

Ex-PBA chair an ‘Ondoy’ casualty

Barako’s Chua drowns in raging floodwaters
    MANILA, Philippines - Late Saturday evening, Barako Bull coach Leo Isaac sent a text message to the team’s board representative, Antonio “Tony” Chua, asking permission to cancel Sunday's practice because of the havoc tropical storm “Ondoy” wrought on the metropolis and nearby provinces.
    He never got a reply.

The affable, well-liked Chua, who served as Philippine Basketball Association chair during the 2006-2007 season, passed away late Saturday evening—a casualty of the flash floods triggered by heavy rains brought by “Ondoy.”

“We are still in shock,” said Isaac. “He’s a big loss to the Barako Bull organization.”
    The tragedy shocked and saddened the far reaches of the sporting community, from basketball to football, after PBA commissioner Renauld “Sonny” Barrios made the announcement yesterday morning.

Barrios said that Chua drowned after he was swept away by the raging floodwaters while walking on his way home with his driver, identified only as Jun, and personal assistant Jonare Peda on a flooded section of Marcos Highway.

“They probably went out of the vehicle after their car got stalled,” said Barrios, who received the news from Barako Bull team owner George Chua. “From what I was told, there were several people walking on the flooded road so they thought it could be safer if they leave the car and walk.”

PBA chair Lito Alvarez said Chua, who lives at Filinvest subdivision along Marcos Highway, came from the warehouse of Photokina Marketing Inc., the distributor of Barako Bull in the country, near Santolan Avenue, at around 9:30 p.m. when the accident happened.

Based on accounts of the accident, Barrios said Chua and his driver were forced at first to cling to a tree on the side of the highway for safety after Pedal was swept by the floodwaters. Pedal remained missing at press time.

But Barrios said Chua later lost his grip when a piece of wood hit his head and he plunged into the chest-deep flood waters that had overflowed from the Marikina River.

Barrios said the driver tried to rescue Chua and was able to retrieve him from the raging waters minutes later but the Red Bull executive was no longer breathing.
    Almost immediately, tributes to the man who always had a ready smile on his face came pouring in.

“He cracks jokes but he is someone who commands respect when he talks,” said Isaac.

Barako Bull consultant Andy Jao, who worked with Chua for 10 years at the Photokina franchise, expressed sadness over the tragedy.

“I was with him yesterday morning,” said Jao. “It’s very unfortunate for this to happen to a person who was at the prime of his life.”
    Jao added that the 58-year-old Chua “may have his own opinions on how things should be done, but we always respected each other.”

National coach Yeng Guiao, who called the shots when the franchise was still known as Red Bull for nine years until last year, said he owes Chua a lot in his career as PBL commissioner and PBA coach.
    Guiao deeply shocked

“I’m deeply shocked,” Guiao said in a text message to the Inquirer. “He was well-liked by everybody in the basketball community. We were like family in the Red Bull organization. We remained very close even after my transfer to Burger King. I owe him a lot in my career as PBL commissioner and as a PBA coach.”

“It’s a big loss to Barako Bull and the PBA. We offer our sincere condolences to his family,” said Alvarez.

“He was a good friend; a great guy,” said Barako Bull alternate governor Raffy Casyao. “He was the perfect officemate.”

Pablito Araneta, who worked with Chua at the Philippine Football Federation said Chua was “very instrumental in finsing support for the national teams during the time of [former PFF president] Johnny Romualdez.

His remains lie in state at the Sanctuarium along Araneta Ave., Quezon City. Barrios said other funeral details would be announced later.

Chua was instrumental for bringing the Photokina franchise to the pro league in 1999 after the ballclub won several championships in the Philippine Basketball League.
    He also served as vice president of the Philippine Football Federation from 2004 to 2007.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by flakez View Post
    ayun tama! si saret nga. ah 5'8" lang pala, mahihirapan na nga siguro un sa college. pero sana ok pa rin, para atleast may shooter pa rin tayo.

sayang dati yung mga pure shooter nung college, sina richie ticzon, paolo mendoza. pagdating sa pba wala na. hehehe
    Pwede siguro.

Si Jai Reyes ba ano height? Tumitikada sa Blue Eagles.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    maliit lang si jai eh. parang mga 5'9 lang ata

nilalampaso ni toroman lately ang mga pba boys ah. binugugbog pa si giles ng talk n'text nung tune-up games nila

PBA na ulit... (ARCHIVED)