New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    If you run to stay in shape or to compete, you might find this site helpful. It's called "Map My Run" and here's what you can do when you visit the web site http://www.mapmyrun.com/:
    Plot your running routes over mountains (view elevation), through the woods (topo maps), and speeding through the city (street level views) with just a few mouse clicks. Once your running map is complete you can quickly view it in 3D, satellite maps, or share it with friends.
    Aside from that brief description, the map automatically plots distances, while the entire site has features that help make your training more interesting and challenging. :thumbup:

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Great site if your looking for running buddies. I hope the community expand to the Philippines, Japan, etc.

edit: found runs in Manila and Tokyo. great site!
    Last edited by Negus; September 21st, 2010 at 03:57 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Any runners here?

I've been running on and off since college. sometimes I get "side stitches" which hurts a lot, I don't know what causes it.

Anyway to prevent that?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    *Negus, I used to experience side stitches too, especially after long lay-offs from running. According to WebMD, here are the causes and ways to prevent it: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...runners-cramps
    Side cramp or ''stitch": This cramp strikes you in the side, as the name implies, or even in the lower abdominal area. It's mainly the result of shallow breathing, not breathing deeply from the lower lung, says Jeff Galloway, a 1972 Olympian and veteran runner who has trained more than 200,000 runners and walkers and runs a marathon training program. ''The side pain is a little alarm" alerting you that you're breathing too shallowly, Galloway says. An imbalance of blood electrolytes (such as calcium, potassium, and sodium) in your body may also contribute, says Pete McCall, an exercise physiologist and spokesman for the American Council on Exercise.

To avoid side cramps, Galloway suggests deep lung breathing. His advice: Put your hand on your stomach and breathe deeply. If you're breathing from your lower lungs, your stomach should rise and fall.
    Side cramps affect beginners more than long-timers, Galloway notes. "Veteran runners shift [naturally] to lower lung breathing," he says.
    To avoid side pain, don't start your run jackrabbit fast. Many side stitches are simply a result of starting too fast. "It's always better during the first 10 minutes to be more gentle," Galloway says.
    Nervousness can play a role, too. When nerves hit, "you have a tendency to breathe more rapidly, or some do," Galloway says. "When that happens, a lot of people revert to shallow breathing," which can bring on a side cramp.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Negus View Post
    Any runners here?

I've been running on and off since college. sometimes I get "side stitches" which hurts a lot, I don't know what causes it.

Anyway to prevent that?
    also into running. read a different reason for the side stitch. based on what i read side stitch is caused by the pulling of the diaphragm since most runners exhale when their right foot touches the ground. to counter a side stitch on the right, exhale when your left foot touches the ground. anyway when i start getting side stitches i practice both: slow down, do deep breathing and time the exhale on the other side where you feel the side stitch. usually in my case this is just trapped air which i need to burp

i use sports tracker on my e71 and export my routes to google earth, nifty software since it shows ave speed, max speed, total time and graphs of speed vs altitude, speed vs time and altitude vs distance

im looking for good lightweight trainers. im a neutral runner btw but have ran in stability shoes with no problems. currently running in asics 2140 but the shoes are now ready for retirement. im looking at the brooks ghost 2 or 3 or the mizuno precision 10 or 11, i have the old precision 7 and i was looking at something lighter

How to Create Your Own Running Map