New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My mom had a minor stroke last month. She was diagnosed to have Arteriovenous malformation or AVM in her brain. She also has diabetes and the doctors said that the AVM was likely caused by her diabetes.

She needs to undergo surgery to remove the AVM. She has 2 options, the conventional way of cutting through her skull to get to the AVM or using the newer method called Gamma Knife. It's a non-invasive radiosurgery usually done on tumors, but can also be used to treat AVMs.

Has anyone here undergone Gamma Knife surgery or knows anyone who did? How was the patient after the surgery? What are the side effects?
    Signature

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What I know about the Gamma Knife is from what I have read and seen on TV.

Basically its a procedure where they beam radiation onto the target (tumor or similar) from difference angles. The target receives concentrated multiples doses of radiation while the surrounding tissue only gets a single, non-harmful dose.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There's one center here, Philippine Gamma Knife Center located in Cardinal Santos. I've seen actual patients after the surgery or undergoing therapy and the recovery rate is indeed much faster than open brain surgery. They do regain mobility very soon as compared to open skull surgery.

*Boybi, I sent you an SMS. ;)

4. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    What I know about the Gamma Knife is from what I have read and seen on TV.

Basically its a procedure where they beam radiation onto the target (tumor or similar) from difference angles. The target receives concentrated multiples doses of radiation while the surrounding tissue only gets a single, non-harmful dose.
    this is the most concise explanation. and since the other healthy cells are not involved with the gamma radiation only the target cells, its accuracy labeled its name. but of course in any radiation procedures, there are radiation risks.

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    There's one center here, Philippine Gamma Knife Center located in Cardinal Santos. I've seen actual patients after the surgery or undergoing therapy and the recovery rate is indeed much faster than open brain surgery. They do regain mobility very soon as compared to open skull surgery.
    and since less tissue cells ang napapakialaman (no cutting sa skin, walang biyak sa bungo, walang paghahalukay ng actual brain tissue, etc) this promotes to its faster recovery rate. but also open surgery has its pros too, mostly is that you get actual visualization of the AVM, but still this would be depending on its actual location on the brain..

also, care to ask more from your physician. i think wala namang bayad na pf sa magtanong, because in the end, you will be outweighing each other.. HTH.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What is the rate of success of eliminating AVMs using Gamma Knife?
    What are the most common side effects after undergoing this procedure?
    Signature

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    btw boybi may your mom find recovery from her illness soon. goodluck.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks renzo. Wala gaano replies a. It looks like there aren't a lot of patients undergoing this procedure. Is it because it's very expensive? Is it a lot more expensive than cutting through the skull operation?
    Signature

Gamma Knife: anyone familiar with this?