New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Metformin has an FDA recall...
    FDA Recommends Recall of Extended-Release Metformin Due to Cancer-Causing Ingredient | diaTribe

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Not diabetes related but I remember reading an article the other day that Talc also can cause cancer this is about court ruling on Johnson & Johnson.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    the ff. is a simplistic explanation, as i know there are other important factors to consider, but...

one theory about diabetes, is that we are all born with our personal specific amount of lifetime insulin production.
    the less we use it early in life, the more it will be available later on in life.
    maneuvers and medications that diminish insulin use now, translates to more available insulin later on.

some folks use diabetes medication, not for diabetes, but for weight and figure control.
    This theory is bsically the oppopsite of the effect of exogenous testosterone on the male body.
    Among body builders, they cycle the use of testosterone because continued use gives the a signal to our balls to stop producing natural testosterone.
    Abuse test and production of natural testosterone will stop.

If you read about athletes getting caught having high exogenous testosterone levels, a popular excuse is they have low testosterone levels and are under hormone replacement therapy. But you have to ask why have low levels at 30 to 40 years of age? Yoyur guess is as good as mine.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    the ff. is a simplistic explanation, as i know there are other important factors to consider, but...

one theory about diabetes, is that we are all born with our personal specific amount of lifetime insulin production.
    the less we use it early in life, the more it will be available later on in life.
    maneuvers and medications that diminish insulin use now, translates to more available insulin later on.

some folks use diabetes medication, not for diabetes, but for weight and figure control.
    I should metformin pala. Just kidding

Parang eggs pala ng babae ang insulin
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    Ok Doc i'm not gonna debate with a doctor

sa pagkaalam ko lang metformin increases insulin sensitivity so kung insulin resistant ka (pre-diabetic) that medicine helps

ung konte ang insulin production may ibang gamot para diyan diba?

mga insulin secretagogue (sulfonylureas and glinides)

but that's for full-blown diabetes
    I'm confused, hindi ka pa ba diabetic once you start taking meds like metformin? Napaisip tuloy ako if I should take kasi rarely na ko mag below 100, it's always 100 to 108 range

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008

sa pagkaalam ko lang metformin increases insulin sensitivity so kung insulin resistant ka (pre-diabetic) that medicine helps
    metformin also diminishes the glucose production from the liver,
    and decreases glucose absorption from the intestines.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I should metformin pala. Just kidding

Parang eggs pala ng babae ang insulin

I'm confused, hindi ka pa ba diabetic once you start taking meds like metformin? Napaisip tuloy ako if I should take kasi rarely na ko mag below 100, it's always 100 to 108 range

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

you're officially diabetic when your FBS is 126 & above on 2 separate occasions right?

then doctors will prescribe metformin + another diabetes drug

sa pagkaalam ko they don't prescribe metformin alone

di naman ganun kalakas magbaba ng blood sugar ang metformin compared to insulin secretagogues

pero kung di ka pa naman full blown diabetic (pre-diabetic) and you take metformin baka mapahaba ng metformin ang pre-diabetic period mo at di ka maging full blown

in theory

i know Dr D may not agree

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    you're officially diabetic when your FBS is 126 & above on 2 separate occasions right?

then doctors will prescribe metformin + another diabetes drug

sa pagkaalam ko they don't prescribe metformin alone

di naman ganun kalakas magbaba ng blood sugar ang metformin compared to insulin secretagogues

pero kung di ka pa naman full blown diabetic (pre-diabetic) and you take metformin baka mapahaba ng metformin ang pre-diabetic period mo at di ka maging full blown

in theory

i know Dr D may not agree
    you are correct. i do not entirely agree.
    choice of medication and their dosage, are personal. the physician titrates the medication from time to time, depending on the patient's clinical and laboratory findings.
    iba-iba ang response ng katawan ng tao sa gamot.

the three usual laboratory criteria for the diagnosis of DM are on paper. one is mentioned, above.
    but the treatment differs from patient to patient.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    you are correct. i do not entirely agree.
    choice of medication and their dosage, are personal. the physician titrates the medication from time to time, depending on the patient's clinical and laboratory findings.
    iba-iba ang response ng katawan ng tao sa gamot.

the three usual laboratory criteria for the diagnosis of DM are on paper. one is mentioned, above.
    but the treatment differs from patient to patient.
    Is DM the term used in diagnosis(or report)? Abbreviated?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Is DM the term used in diagnosis(or report)? Abbreviated?
    Diabetes Mellitus. DM.
    sorry po.

the other one is DI. Diabetes Insipidus.
    iba 'yon.

we remind our students,
    unless the abbreviation or acronym is universally accepted in literature without need for introduction first via complete spelling,
    "spell it out".
    to some elder folks, DM still means Diosdado Macapagal.
    and to some younger 'uns, DI is a Dance Instructor.
    OT.

snap quiz!
    what does "cabbage" mean in medical parlance?
    heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; July 2nd, 2020 at 12:55 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I am type 2

Using Jardiamet, Novorapid, and Ryzodeg

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacavanza View Post
    I am type 2

Using Jardiamet, Novorapid, and Ryzodeg
    very good, type 2. aka NIDDM.
    you are of the majority type.
    do you know the generic names of your medications, and why your physician chose them for you?
    kasi, knowing what your medicines do, can motivate you into altering your life habits...