New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Mga guru, ask ko lang, legal ba to airgun stray cats? If legal, pede na ba airgun sa kanila? Wouldn't wanna use firearms, too alarming.

No offense to cat lovers (in fact, I used to like em) but they have done a great deal of damage to our cars' underwiring, and I don't think our neighbors would mind kasi tinutumba/kinakalat ng mga cats basurahan nila e.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i was reading in some web site that you have to head-shot a jackrabbit with a .22LR in order to get a clean kill. a .22LR has about 3X the stopping power of an airgun.

so if you airgun a cat.. you will hurt it moderately, and it'll run for the hills. but it will not die for a long, long time... and when it dies, it will die of LEAD POISONING. :D

side-topic. a typical air rifle in the mall costs 6000. the marlin 795 costs 12500 at hahn (.22LR semiautomatic rifle, with box-type 10-round magazine). not too far yung price, yun nga lang the licensing. ironically this rifle sells for $90 to $120 in the US. more than X2 yung price dito..

a .22LR would also conceivably be OK in case you get robbers in your house (yes, yes, everybody says the .22LR is good for nothing, it won't stop a robber, but it's better than a broken bottle or a rusty bolo, right?) i mean yeah it won't stop a robber but the marlin 795 is semiautomatic and if you empty the entire magazine into the robber it will probably stop him..

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Awww, what do I do about stray cats?

Mga robbers, ala problema, naka-corbon me.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flagg
    Mga guru, ask ko lang, legal ba to airgun stray cats? If legal, pede na ba airgun sa kanila? Wouldn't wanna use firearms, too alarming.

No offense to cat lovers (in fact, I used to like em) but they have done a great deal of damage to our cars' underwiring, and I don't think our neighbors would mind kasi tinutumba/kinakalat ng mga cats basurahan nila e.

stray cats? like you before, I hated stray cats. one time I went home alone very late. our garage hallway was very dark as well as our garden set. then I saw this cat staring and raising her paws at something ... alas! the biggest black snake I ever saw wrapped around one chair of our garden set. the cat was aggressively poking the snake and I ran inside my car scared sh!t. after some 15 minutes or so, the snake slithered down the floor tiles while the cat chased it into the darkness.

stray cats have some use, after all. they're part of a foodchain that I still dont understand yet. but I'm very grateful.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ....yikes! kelangan pala ng license ang .22 air rifle. meron pa naman ako nun. i used to hunt maya birds sa mga power lines.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue
    stray cats? like you before, I hated stray cats. one time I went home alone very late. our garage hallway was very dark as well as our garden set. then I saw this cat staring and raising her paws at something ... alas! the biggest black snake I ever saw wrapped around one chair of our garden set. the cat was aggressively poking the snake and I ran inside my car scared sh!t. after some 15 minutes or so, the snake slithered down the floor tiles while the cat chased it into the darkness.

stray cats have some use, after all. they're part of a foodchain that I still dont understand yet. but I'm very grateful.
    Buti ka pa sir oldblue, those deym cats caused 50k worth of damage sa amin... :swear: Yung snake, 1 P20 FMJ lang yan.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The .22LR can stop robber or any low-life who tries to do mischief in your home. It's just knowing where to place the shot - and it's definitely not at the low-life's body. While the caliber of a gun does play an important part in terms of stopping power, it's the placement of the shot that is important.

FYI: The .22 is the most used caliber of assassins for the longest time. It doesn't give out a loud bang (like the 9mm, .35 and a .45). When shot at the head of a person, the little bullet does not exit out. What it does is it ricochets inside the skull lots of times, therefore reducing the brain matter into mush.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    OT.

i was watching this episode of CSI. the head shot with a .22LR revolver (to the back of the head) the bullet just went under the scalp and ended up near the ear. Di man lang pumasok sa skull.. that's one heck of a tough skull!! tigas ulo talaga.

although i assume a .22LR rifle would have enough muzzle velocity to crack that skull.

kaya nga it makes me wonder.. i read somewhere that your "doctrine" is more important than the caliber of the weapon. lalo na kung untrained ka, di mo naman kaya gumamit ng .45 tapos yung mga 9mm and .380 don't have the stopping power if they hit the body.

so kung ganun mag .22LR ka nalang and practice a lot to improve your "doctrine." at least mura bala ng .22LR so you can practice as much as you want. does that make any sense?

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    so kung ganun mag .22LR ka nalang and practice a lot to improve your "doctrine." at least mura bala ng .22LR so you can practice as much as you want. does that make any sense?
    Yes, that is pretty accurate. You can own a 44 magnum, but if you can't hit your target, that 44 magnum is just a lot of noise. The practical aspect of having a 22LR is varied, but most often it is for the economy of use. With a 22LR you can practice a lot cheaply. What is reccomended tho is, once you are proficient in pistol shooting, you can move up to a bigger caliber and the same "doctrines" or principles apply. If you're a good shooter with a 22LR, chances are that you will also be good with a 9mm, you'll still need to practice with a 9mm of course, but the basics have already been ingrained by shooting a lot with the 22LR.

i was reading in some web site that you have to head-shot a jackrabbit with a .22LR in order to get a clean kill. a .22LR has about 3X the stopping power of an airgun.
    While it is true that jackrabbits are very tough animals, they will go down even while using an airgun with a well placed shot. This is true with most animals. Jackrabbits are just really tough, I've seen one hit with a 9mm that still ran.

side-topic. a typical air rifle in the mall costs 6000. the marlin 795 costs 12500 at hahn (.22LR semiautomatic rifle, with box-type 10-round magazine). not too far yung price, yun nga lang the licensing. ironically this rifle sells for $90 to $120 in the US. more than X2 yung price dito..
    Yeap, you're forgetting about 4K extra for licensing. The problem with that is, once you get a 22LR, kesho marlin or anschutz pa yan, it can never leave your home. They stopped issuing permits to carry. You can't even legally hunt with it. So yung 16K na ginastos mo, in essence, pang bahay lang sya. Mejo useless.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ogpro
    I'm gonna jump in here guys if it's ok. I'm a filipino airgun hunter based in the states but I hunt in the philippines too. There are few things that you should know.

You are not required to have a license to own an airgun. They do require that you register your airgun at crame. It's a simple process, and I think it is just 100 pesos to do. A majority of airgun owners don't do this, but lately, there has been a resurgence in high quality airguns like the Filarms Tornado, JBC pcp rifle, and others that are pretty pricey, so it pays to register so you don't get it confiscated by local kotong kops.

We hunt what are called "game birds", these are birds that are generally acceptable for hunting because of several factors. One would be their presence as a nuisance to farmers, their taste (most are delicacies), and mostly for the general dificulty in hunting them. Among these are the bato bato (of which there are different types), tikling (rail or moorhen), snipe, and wild ducks, to name a few. We don't go running around the countryside shooting mayas and tarats.

To get into the the guns we use, the modern air rifle is a formidable tool in the right hands. Meron pa rin mga co2 and such, but most avid hunters nowadays have switched over to PCP. That means Pre-Charged Pneumatic. Pre charged because we still use an air reservoir, but the difference is, it is COMPRESSED, usually at around 3200 psi. Compare that to co2 which is usually around 900-1200psi. Also, unlike c02 that only gets you about 7-8 shots before you have to recharge, our modern PCP airguns get between 30-50 shots in between refills. Another nice thing is that you don't have to go the c02 refiller to recharge your tanks. We use pumps! These look like bicycle pumps on steroids, hehe. Also, PCP rifles propel pellets at almost 22 LR speeds, so the distances that you can shoot now are a bit further than when you use springers or co2 rifles. Some of my friends have taken shots at 60 - 70 meters. These are very high precision rifles that can put pellets inside of a 25 centavo coin at 30 meters. This level of precision gives us the ability to make "clean kills" (headshots, neck shots) , we also don't like to see our prey suffer. Gone are the days when we used to pray before taking the shot and hope for a hit hehe. We can usually call where the pellet will strike nowadays.

Other hunters still use shotguns and 22lr to hunt. The drawback of that is, well, it is now illegal. The DENR has banned hunting in all areas and frowns upon hunting in general. Mahirap mahuli with a shotgun or a 22LR, unless you have connections. Whereas, hunting with an airgun is still generally acceptable in the countryside, most farmers welcome it because you are ridding their fields of pest birds who eat their seeds and seedlings. Dapat low profile ka lang. I'm not telling you to break any laws, but hunting is still a pastime enjoyed by thousands, it is a safe and enjoyable sport, mejo napag initan lang ng ibang walang kwentang politicians. I won't get into that here, hehe. Another nice thing: Airguns can be silenced. Literally as one of my partners call it, parang "mousefart". It has introduced a whole new dimension to our hunting as we don't disturb the game birds as much as when you fire a 22LR or shotgun that echoes throughout the countryside. =) You also don't freak out the farmers and people in the areas that you hunt. It lets you enjoy your sport in peace.

I hope this has helped, and let me give you a few links to lead the way.

There is much to learn here:
    Philippine Airguns Yahoo Group

You can see the see the Filarms Tornado (a PCP rifle) here:
    Filarms Tornado

This is an american site where you can learn a whole lot more about airguns:
    James Kitching's Airgun Forum

Or you can always message me or email me at philhunters*yahoo.com. I'll be happy to help you get into the sport.

- Chris
    bro, interesting yang PCP rifles na yan. available ba dito yan sa pilipinas..and the pumps? if so, how much? at least registration lang kailangan dyan. i have the armscor .22 co2-fed airgun. haven't used it much lately, though.

interesting din yong how you silence the airgun. any additional info on this? will check out the yahoo groups & links.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
bird hunting???