New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post
    When windows 10 finished upgrading my system, it booted up on the new OS for the first time.
    After logging in, my system was unbearably slow.
    No sounds (error: can't connect to sound hardware). No internet even if connected to the wifi hotspot.
    When I try to launch an app, even notepad, I get an "application unresponsive".
    I struggled to launch the task manager. When it finally came up, I saw my HDD was thrashing at 100% and my CPU was at > 60%. SVCHOST was chewing up my HDD and CPU.

I got fed up and ate my lunch.

When I got back, everything was okay already. I got sounds, internet and everything was snappy fast.
    The HDD thrashing stopped and my CPU was down to < 1%.
    So what happened bro? Probably the drivers were still being downloaded and installed?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Windows 10 is updating in the background.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Mined the plethora of informations in the computer

Better do it on a fresh install (format all partitions & dont forget to back up all data first)

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I stuck with Upgrade rather than a clean install. The netbook hardly had anything installed in it. The laptop and desktop both have a number of games I didn't want to reinstall.

The only issue I had from all three installs was a terrible slowdown with The Witcher 3 (literally a slideshow). An Nvidia display driver download fixed that one.

I also turned off or uninstalled a bunch of network sharing/online "features" such as OneDrive and live tiles (in the Start Menu).

Besides the netbook suffering occasional busy pauses while a web page loads (due to 2Gb RAM and weak Atom CPU), Windows 10 seems okay.

My main reason for upgrading is a better OS for the netbook and DX12 for the desktop and laptop.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    So what happened bro? Probably the drivers were still being downloaded and installed?
    I did some googling and there was one possible culprit --- indexing.

It's likely that after the upgrade, windows tried to re-index my files. I have a ton of small files in my HDD (c/o STEAM). And this may have aggravated the re-indexing operation.

At the same time, it may have also been trying to do other things like initialize the onboard sound, and other services.

Anyway, all is well. System runs really well, and I'm happy with the end result.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I've been testing Windows 10 on this netbook extensively. One thing I noticed at this stage is how much quicker surfing the Web is compared to when I still had Windows 7 Starter installed.

Before the Windows 10 upgrade, surfing (especially this site) was slow using Firefox (or any browser) because it took forever for the Web site to load. Using the same Firefox with Windows 10, loading Web sites are a lot faster.

Specs: Intel Atom N550 (dualcore with HT, 1.5 GHz), 2 Gb DDR3 RAM

It's similar to my old Mac Mini: Intel Core Duo (dualcore, 1.66 Ghz), 2 Gb DDR2, OSX 10.6.8

The Mac Mini is still better at loading Web pages among low-RAM machines. The older OSX Snow Leopard is a really polished OS. But, my netbook with Windows 10 is right on its heels.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 22nd, 2015 at 07:23 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Win 10 updates keep messing with my laptop's drivers (actually started since I installed my free Win 8 Pro from school - Toshiba E305). Sometimes the ClickPad doesn't work, Blu ray drive won't read CDs, etc.

My Lenovo Miix 3 on the other hand unexpectedly received the Win 10 upgrade too. Not expecting since I read about the limited compatibility. Better battery life (thanks to battery saver mode) but the default screen orientation is in landscape mode. It lost the auto rotate button in the notif center, reappeared again after a second major update. Got tired of tweaking in the settings. Ang hassle 😓

My sister has no complains so far from her midrange VAIO, upgraded it even before Sony asked the users to wait until October. I also upgraded our midrange Acer desktop and entry level Lenovo laptop. Speed improvement is noticeable but lag and freezing is still there as expected.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    almost troublefree upgrade ko from 7 to 10 on my msi gx660. nagadalawang isip pa ako mag upgrade kaso naka tulog ako ng bukas laptop, pag gising ko windows 10 na, walang sound at na iba resolution ng desktop. just needed to uninstall and manually reinstall board drivers which fortunately are still available sa msi website. im also glad its userfriendly as windows 7 and older versions

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I haven't really tested Windows 10 that much on my ASUS RoG G46VW because it's as responsive as my desktop PC. Everything seems to work fine with the exception of a few old games. The old games will only run in 32-bit Windows 10 where before, they used to run in 64-bit Windows 8.1. The G46VW has the 64-bit Windows 10. No big deal. I can always install those old games on my Toshiba NB305-N600 netbook which has 32-bit Windows 10.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so far I have not have big problems after the upgrade.
    except for that my MS Outlook 2010 hangs sometimes.
    dunno if this is because of the IMAP configuration or because of incompatibilities.

capture.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

so far I have not have big problems after the upgrade.
    except for that my MS Outlook 2010 hangs sometimes.
    dunno if this is because of the IMAP configuration or because of incompatibilities.

capture.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast