New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Sirs, base sa research ko... Ubuntu is Debian, Fedora is RPM, tapos Suse / Novell Linux runs under OpenSuse... napansin ko kasi yan when I was choosing install packages from Skype e... Try ko yung Xubuntu kasi yun yata ang pwede sa mga old machines because of it's light weight architecture?

I will be de-commissiong a project this March e I need a lightweight Linux with GUI and usable programs that will run on Pentium II based computers with 64Mb memory... kaya kaya patakbuhin ang Fedora Core 6 at Ubuntu 6.10 or Novell Linux 10??? o dapat hanap ako ng XFree86 na distro?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Slackware with Dropline Gnome looks sweet and it just works. And a lot of applications are available at www.slacky.it and linuxpackages.net.Yes , I do remember the old days with Slackware when it's a struggle but then despite the steep learning curve , it was worth it.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316 View Post
    I will be de-commissiong a project this March e I need a lightweight Linux with GUI and usable programs that will run on Pentium II based computers with 64Mb memory... kaya kaya patakbuhin ang Fedora Core 6 at Ubuntu 6.10 or Novell Linux 10??? o dapat hanap ako ng XFree86 na distro?
    I don't know about Ubuntu and Fedora C6, but I'm pretty sure SuSe 10 will be slooooooowwww or might not run depending on the options you select on installation.

Kung ako sayo, hanap ka ng lumang distro ng RedHat or whatever na pwede sa PII machine mo and then just install the options/services that you needed for your project, example if you do not need ipchains, iptables, anacron, lpd, cups, wine, ntpd, keytable, samba etc etc then just remove them after the install so that it won't consume a lot of resources.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    o dapat hanap ako ng XFree86 na distro?
    XFree86 is not a Linux distro. if I remember correctly it's the one implementing the X Window System of Unix.

ngayon hindi na yata XFree86 ang tawag dyan, X11 na yata, which started on the XFree86 project. feel free to correct me on this.

All Linux distro comes with an XFree86/X11.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    XFree86 is not a Linux distro. if I remember correctly it's the one implementing the X Window System of Unix.

ngayon hindi na yata XFree86 ang tawag dyan, X11 na yata, which started on the XFree86 project. feel free to correct me on this.

All Linux distro comes with an XFree86/X11.
    That's what I mean. Back in 1996, it was a lot harder to get X Windows working because they were so card-specific. I recall I had a relatively old ATI Mach 64 and a newer Diamond Stealth 2600, both pci cards. Both wouldn't work with X Windows in Slackware. Not that there was any good GUI's at the time. I had to wait until 1999 when Mandrake 6 came with drivers for my nVidia Riva 128 and Mesa opengl drivers for my dual (SLI) 3DFX Voodoo 2's.

I used the commercial versions of SuSE 7.1 and 8.1. At that point, I think it was still Redhat-based. Most hardcore Linux enthusiasts seem to prefer Debian to Redhat. But, like what artpogi said, whatever works.

I'd consider Ubuntu as the best distro overall. It's on one of my pc's. Although for sheer eyecandy, I like the Enlightment LiveCD.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Di ata kaya tumakbo yung fedora core 6 sa specs na binigay mo. Kung di ako nagkakamali kailangan ata ng FC6 ng at least 256MB ram para mag-install.

agree po ako kay artpogi na hanap na lang ng lumang distro tapos siguro upgrade na lang ng mga packages/software na kailangan mo. may mga window managers na medyo magaan naman tulad ng fluxbox.

gecotbonjo : slackware user din ako. sa ngayon slackware 10.1 sa bahay. kaka download ko lang ng 11.0 at u-upgrade ako pag may oras. tama ka, medyo mataas nga learning curve ng slackware, pero yung mga natutunan ko dito nagagamit ko rin sa ibang distro. sumubok din ako ng ibang distro, pero ok na ok para sa akin ang slackware.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i am using ubuntu 5.10 on my good old Pentium 3 with 64MB ram (dual boot w/ win2k). ok lang, mabagal lang. hopefully mapaltan na siya. hehe.

* yaj,

yung xubuntu ang minimum requirements ay RAM 64mb lang. di ko palang nasusubukam. hehe http://www.xubuntu.org/

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    that's what I'm downloading now... yung xubuntu... I'm also downloading edubuntu kasi may mga customers din ako sa education market...

One thing I noticed with Linux CDs... ambilis masira ng CD na binuburn from the image file... mga after ilang gamit na-co-corrupt... hmmm.. baka sa mga old CD-ROM Drives lang siguro...

I will guys let you know ano magiging results ng aking experiment

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    that's what I'm downloading now... yung xubuntu... I'm also downloading edubuntu kasi may mga customers din ako sa education market...

One thing I noticed with Linux CDs... ambilis masira ng CD na binuburn from the image file... mga after ilang gamit na-co-corrupt... hmmm.. baka sa mga old CD-ROM Drives lang siguro...

I will guys let you know ano magiging results ng aking experiment
    Maybe it's the blank cd you're using. Ubuntu cd and dvd are fine up to now. My Enlightment cd is approaching 2 years now. I use Maxell cd and imation cd and dvd platters. Both brands work great.

I once burned Vista RC1 3x on Memorex dvd platters. 3x I had coasters. The 4th time I used iMation which worked great.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    i guess i should not be using cheap CDs bought by my dad...

Why not Linux?  (WinXP + MS Office Pro cost P28,700)