New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Pag dual boot ang gusto mo.. i partition mo muna yung HDD mo... pero wag mo na muna i format sa windows... just let the Linux format it into EXT2 format. I use REDHAT and FEDORA LINUX... works great for me... but .. yun nga lang .. di lahat ng mga applications na gusto mo ay tatakbo.... but it's good to play around with Linux..

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    thanks for the prompt reply, wrcastro_ph! i didn't see a choose drive option in the express install. i hope the custom install option will have it. thanks again.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    anong linux version yung may pinakamagandang support for devices, kahit generic drivers lang for my sound card (lumang CMI Media ata) at vid card (GeForce2 MX).

kailangan ko din yung PPPoE stuff (ADSL). salamat!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Mga pre buhayin ko lang ulit tong thread na to kasi I find this very relevant... though pakilipat po sa Tech Forums... I have info that Windows Vista Ultimate will cost around 26,000 if you purchase it boxed from retails stores (aka Full Packaged Product). Thus Linux sounds to be a very good alternative... I'm testing Ubuntu & Fedora and I'm impressed with the quality & polish when compared to early Linux distributions... Meron pa po ba kayong mga ibang recommended distros... hopefully yung galing sa malalaking companies (ok ba Novell Linux?) kasi mas better IMO to use Linux that came from well-funded distros...

So far the Linux + Firefox 2.0 combination when surfing is working very well and at BLAZING SPEEDS when compared to XP/Vista + IE 7 or Firefox...

Hopefully we can spread the word around for Linux...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316 View Post
    Meron pa po ba kayong mga ibang recommended distros... hopefully yung galing sa malalaking companies (ok ba Novell Linux?) kasi mas better IMO to use Linux that came from well-funded distros...

So far the Linux + Firefox 2.0 combination when surfing is working very well and at BLAZING SPEEDS when compared to XP/Vista + IE 7 or Firefox...

I've tried the Ubuntu distro and the Enlightment LiveCD. They're ok. I also like Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) here running in MS VPC 2004 under XP Home:

An earlier screencap of Enlightment LiveCD desktop on my laptop:
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 8th, 2007 at 06:41 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316 View Post
    Mga pre buhayin ko lang ulit tong thread na to kasi I find this very relevant... though pakilipat po sa Tech Forums... I have info that Windows Vista Ultimate will cost around 26,000 if you purchase it boxed from retails stores (aka Full Packaged Product). Thus Linux sounds to be a very good alternative... I'm testing Ubuntu & Fedora and I'm impressed with the quality & polish when compared to early Linux distributions... Meron pa po ba kayong mga ibang recommended distros... hopefully yung galing sa malalaking companies (ok ba Novell Linux?) kasi mas better IMO to use Linux that came from well-funded distros...

Mikmik,

We're using Suse on our animation workstations. Okay naman. We're on Suse because of a particular issue between Fedora and the animation software we're using.

Siguro kung yung workstation na lalagyan mo ng linux eh gagamitin lang sa mga simple task, I think you're better off with a Fedora.

But honestly, either Fedora or Suse, you can't go wrong with both. Basa ka lang ng mga linux forums to be aware of some small issues on some distros.

Linux rocks!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    But honestly, either Fedora or Suse, you can't go wrong with both. Basa ka lang ng mga linux forums to be aware of some small issues on some distros.

Linux rocks!
    SuSE should be Redhat based while Fedora (plus Enlightment and Ubuntu) is Debian based. Is there any particular advantage to using a Debian-based distro?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    SuSE should be Redhat based while Fedora (plus Enlightment and Ubuntu) is Debian based. Is there any particular advantage to using a Debian-based distro?
    Advantage? hmmm.... To be honest, I can't think of any "big" difference/advantage between the two. Well, at least to me, linux is all the same: it's all Unix. Besides I seldom used the GUIs on linux, I'm always on run level 3.

I've used Fedora for a while just for the heck of it, and I found it more user friendly than Suse, especially for a novice linux user.

But hey that's just me. Anyway, like I said, you won't go wrong with both.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Bayanihan ang ginamit ko dati hirap lang mag-install ng games counterstrike lang nagawa ko.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    Advantage? hmmm.... To be honest, I can't think of any "big" difference/advantage between the two. Well, at least to me, linux is all the same: it's all Unix. Besides I seldom used the GUIs on linux, I'm always on run level 3.
    A keyboard warrior, eh? I salute you! Me, I'm a 2-finger typist myself.

I had to make do with a command box as well with Slackware 3.4 (1996?) because finding a video card with proper XFree86 support was hard to find. I gave up on Linux until 1999 when Mandrake 6 came out with a much more mature KDE/Gnome gui.

Why not Linux?  (WinXP + MS Office Pro cost P28,700)