New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Where's the best place to shop for one? I'm looking for a basic 15-miler...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007

Found this on ebay.ph for about 7k...

ok ba ito?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I haven't seen a 15-miler GMRS walkie talkie..... I would imagine that the power rating of these walkie talkies would require operating license.

What I saw here are 5/7-milers only.

Just to be on the safe side,- make sure that it has NTC seal or sticker, as the freqs being used by those manufactured/sold abroad (and just imported here) are in violation of the NTC assigned/licensed freqs.

2101:banana2:

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blutut View Post

Found this on ebay.ph for about 7k...

ok ba ito?
    Please repost the link/picture.

What's the brand/model?

I suggest that you research for users'/buyers' review. A few are really not that good because the manufacturer used cheap parts. Be particular about the clarity of the speaker output,- you surely do not want to repeat your transmit over and over again, as the receiving side cannot understand what you're saying. I have 3 sets of this FRS/GMRS tranceivers 5/7-milers and they are quite good.

2101:banana2:

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    oh sorry they're Cobra 12-milers...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    GMRS freq bawal dito

FRS lang allowed ng NTC

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I'm sure there are shops in Raon that sell FRS radios.

If memory serves me right, any transmitter producing more than 1/2-watt (500 milliWatts) will require a license from the NTC. Those 1/2-watt license-free FRS radios usually cover a range of 5 miles under ideal conditions (flat, open terrain) and any obstruction like buildings will reduce the range. License-free radios usually have the restriction (besides low-power) that you can only use the built-in antenna ... that you can't use a bigger one to extend the range.

If it's not your cup of tea, you my want to consider another type of radio service permitting more power and flexibility, but anything other than the FRS will require a license. And like oldblue posted, there's no GMRService in the Philippines. Even the higher-powered (more than 1/2-watt) GMRS radios in the US require a license.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A lot of electronics/computer shops sell FRS radios (Cobra & Motorolla brands).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I recently got myself a pair of Midland FRS/GMRS 18-mile range radios. I think these are the only units available currently with the longest range. $64 at Cabelas

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    May nabili ako dati na Cobra FRS 6 miler sa MCHome Depot sa tapat ng Meralco Ortigas. Almost 6K pesos yata bili ko non. Yung available lang nila noon is 6 and 8 miler.

Where to buy GMRS walkie talkies?