New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ess View Post
    Hahahahahaha!!! Talk about coincidence!

My mobo is also a K8N Neo4 Platinum (non-SLI).
    Well, to be honest, it's been giving me "signs" of imminent failure for almost six months now. At first I'd be getting intermittent hangs both on XP and Linux. I already checked the board but found no swollen or leaking caps. Now it refuses to POST and all I'm getting at long beeps with no video display.

According to the MSI forums, those long beeps during power on could be a sign of bad RAM. Dunno....
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/JunP/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG] [IMG]file:///C:/Users/JunP/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG] My Neo 4 Platinum lasted 4.5 years. It still posts into the BIOS. But, anytime an OS loads from hard drive or cd, the whole thing just turns off. I thought at first it might be the PSU. But, I tried 3 different PSU's and had the same results for all of them. I also thought it might be the RAM. But, my Amiga Forever cd boots AmigaSys 4 which goes straight into RAM. So, it's not the RAM either.

A very close inspection revealed the defective capacitors:

The 5 brown capacitors nearest to the cpu were all bulging at the top, evident even in this tiny photo.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Those are actually the old models. The next step for Apple is to implement the mobile i7 and i5.

Problem is, AFAIK, only intel has the chipset for it. So, Apple either has to suck it up and shamelessly implement Intel Craphics for the entry level or go the extra mile and put discrete graphics of different iterations across all model brackets.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Those are actually the old models. The next step for Apple is to implement the mobile i7 and i5.

Problem is, AFAIK, only intel has the chipset for it. So, Apple either has to suck it up and shamelessly implement Intel Craphics for the entry level or go the extra mile and put discrete graphics of different iterations across all model brackets.
    Oh ok. My bad. I thought the MacBook still had that crappy Intel graphics like my daughter's school MacBook.

As far discrete graphics, Apple should be used to it since their laptops always had discrete graphics before moving to Intel. My old iBook 800 had a Radeon 7500 in it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; November 18th, 2009 at 10:55 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I am getting an urge to replace my current MSI Wind U100+ with something better...

Two choices:

MSI Wind12 U210x - P 22,992
    AMD Yukon Mobile Technology, AMD Athlon™ Neo X2 Dual-Core L335 1.6GHz, 12.1" 1366 x 768 HD-ready, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 250GB HDD, ATI RADEON X1270, 1.3 MP Webcam, HDMI, D-Sub, 3 x USB 2.0 4-in-1 (MMC/SD/MS/XD), DOS, 9-Cell Battery
    http://www.villman.com/Product-Detail/msi_wind12_u210x

MSI Wind12 U200x-S35 - P 24,990
    Intel Core2 SU3500 ULV 1.4 GHZ, 2GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, 12"HD LCD, Intel® GS45, MSI WIFI 802.11bg-N, 6cell, HDMi/Webcam/ 3X USB/ Card Reader/VGA Port, DOS
    http://www.villman.com/Product-Detail/MSI_U200X_S35

Both have no Windows included.

The AMD powered U210 has a 6cell battery life of 4.5 hours.

The Intel powered U200 has a 6cell battery life of 6.5 hours.

Personally I prefer the U200 with it's longer rated battery life and bigger HDD but the U210 can be purchased with a 9-cell battery instead of the standard 6-cell at the same price.

I visited V-Mall earlier and the U210 is even lighter than my current U100+ netbook. One thing, I haven't tried using it though since the unit didn't have an OS installed.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    hmm, maybe get Pi data on both to compare performance.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    hmm, maybe get Pi data on both to compare performance.
    I think I realized one thing...

The AMD CPU is a dual core cpu running at 1.6ghz. The Intel cpu is a Core2 single core cpu running at 1.4ghz. Wouldn't it mean the AMD would run faster in most(if not all) tasks assuming everything else is equal?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmm...the Intel Core Duo/ Core 2 Duo processors have two processor cores on a single die; ang alam ko sa AMD ganyang style din. So either way you get two processors on a single physical chip.

Ewan ko lang sa performance, but i think the Core 2 processors have lower power consumption compared to AMD or Core Duo processors.

OT: hay salamat naayos na ung login bug...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I think I realized one thing...

The AMD CPU is a dual core cpu running at 1.6ghz. The Intel cpu is a Core2 single core cpu running at 1.4ghz. Wouldn't it mean the AMD would run faster in most(if not all) tasks assuming everything else is equal?
    Not necessarily. In single-threaded tasks, the Core 2 Solo is more efficient and faster even though it has a slower clock speed.

Now if the task is multi-threaded, the two cores of the AMD cpu provides an advantage over the single core Intel.

Of course when that AMD dualcore goes up against a Core 2 Duo, then the advantage swings back to Intel.

At least, that has been the pattern over the past three years with various AMD cpu's against their Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad equivalents. The Phenom II's are a little late to the party. But, they're welcome regardless because of their low price.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ...and if you tend to run several apps, e.g. AV, firefox, office, etc; i don't think they have to be multithreaded or anything.

i'm curious as to how the dual core celerons perform; so far wala pa dito locally.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Of course when that AMD dualcore goes up against a Core 2 Duo, then the advantage swings back to Intel.
    In a portable PC, having an Intel Core 2 Duo would mean a very short battery life.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
When is the right time to buy a loptop? During Christmas Holidays or by January na?