New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hmmm. Installed 13gb more of scenery and no Manila....shucks.

Anyway, X-Plane is true to form. The flight models seem more "realistic" than FSX.....

I like FSX better overall because it seems more fun than X-Plane 9 even though the latter has more "realistic" aircraft. But, X-Plane 9 is definitely worth buying.

Still, I prefer Falcon 4.0 to both even though F4.0 originally came out 7-8 years ago.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    X-Plane's scenery seems to have made a huge improvement although I still prefer Flight Simulator X's.
    X-Plane 9 Cessna C172 over Sacramento:
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; June 14th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    X-Plane 9's view of the Meteor Crater in NE Arizona.

It has better textures than Flight Simulator X (Meteor Crater view at previous page). But, the latter's 3D-meshes match the proportions of the real thing better.

The real one (from dommy.com):

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Yup. When it comes to landmarks for navigational aids, Flight Simulator X has X-Plane 9 beat. X-Plane 9 didn't even have the Seoul Tower (in S Korea) anywhere in the sim while FSX had a beautiful rendering. I provided a grainy video cap I took back in 1995 for comparison. I had visibility in FSX set to 3 miles. Looking at the video cap, it probably should've been 5-6 miles. Either way, Seoul is rarely sparkling clear:

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Some landmarks in FSX aren't as well thought out as the Seoul Tower. Take the sliver of land in San Diego. In FSX, it looks like a huge sand pile with antennas for decoration. The real thing (taken by me during a whale-watching boat cruise) has what looks like a limestone outcropping with the structure at the water's edge a lighthouse and not an antenna:

Still at night, they'd be adequate enough as navaids.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I hadn't been playing too much with MS Flight Simulator X ever since I bought it last year. But ever since I applied Service Pack 1, I've been on a binge

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    One more:

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Service Pack 2 for FSX was supposed to add multiplay and DX10 support only. But, it seems to have improved the framerate even more. When I first posted pics of FSX, it was pre-SP1 and SP2. I was happy with 10-15fps with max aircraft and scenery detail, no traffic, and detailed clouds but scattered coverage. Now, takeoffs are still a bit choppy. But, framerates improved rapidly during climb and at cruising altitude. Now, I get 25-45fps. If I show more horizon, fps top end jumps up to 50.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; June 17th, 2008 at 11:03 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    wow, the only flight sims I've played are Ace Combat and Top gun (arcade). I know they're actually arcade shooters and not real flight sims, hehe.

Pekto, do you play with R/C planes? an acquaintance of mine loves pc flight sims and occasionally flies RC planes (classic models). The coolest one he has shown me is a red plane, he calls it the red baron. i heard its actually harder to control choppers.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Negus View Post
    wow, the only flight sims I've played are Ace Combat and Top gun (arcade). I know they're actually arcade shooters and not real flight sims, hehe.

Pekto, do you play with R/C planes? an acquaintance of mine loves pc flight sims and occasionally flies RC planes (classic models). The coolest one he has shown me is a red plane, he calls it the red baron. i heard its actually harder to control choppers.
    I used to when I was single. I started out with those cheap toy electric battery planes. Then I progressed to methanol/nitromethane mix. I didn't have much luck with R/C aircraft. The first electric one (Cessna single-prop) crashed. A second electric Cessna flew out of range and was lost in a sea of tall grass. He He I felt silly about that one. I had two methanol planes both which eventually crashed. The first was a simple model with 2-d fuselage. The second was a Cessna.

I have problems trying to land a plane from 3rd-person "spectator" view, especially tiny ones. So, I just quit R/C aircraft. I have an R/C sailboat. But there's no ponds here to sail one in. That one's with a relative in Reno.

I haven't had the time to re-try R/C planes once more with demands of family and all. But, there is an R/C aircraft club for our subdivision complex and their "airfield" is about a 3-4 minute drive from the house. I drive by there and they're quite active every weekend.

Add: I still have two old Futaba R/C units in storage. I wonder if they'll still work?

What are the good PC games you've played?