New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I started using Tileproxy with Flight Simulator X. It basically uses the same tiles that Google Earth uses. Cities are still MEH. But, rural/wild scenery are just about jaw-dropping. The Flagstaff (AZ) area is almost uncannily real.

Mental Note: Make sure the cloud base values are adjusted for AGL. That way, they won't stick out of the ground. Oooops.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 28th, 2008 at 09:46 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'm a newcomer to Tileproxy. But, others have been using it with FSX and FS2004 for a while. Pair it with a good head-tracking unit like Track IR and those 2 sims are simply awesome....like what this guy has:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEqSKh5kgmo"]YouTube - FSX and FS2004 - Penneyfour's Vid Compilation 3/3/07-3/9/08[/ame]
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 29th, 2008 at 05:18 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    FSX with Tileproxy using Google Earth tiles of central Nevada. I've seen the area from the ground many times and from the air once during trips to Salt Lake City. The detail is downright scary......

I think that's Carson Lake (when it's not dry) on the foreground and Walker Lake in the distance. Also, I think that's Schurz Indian Reservation to the right of the image. It should be across the mountains west of Carson Lake.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 31st, 2008 at 07:01 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    A couple of pics to show how image quality improves with Tileproxy. The area is just west of Wendover at the Utah-Nevada border. Aircraft heading is 270 (due west) with the Bonneville Salt Flats in the distance behind the aircraft.

In this Tileproxy pic, the white textures of the salt flats are very evident along with a less arid-looking desert landscape which typified the terrain in northern Nevada. It captured perfectly the view and solitude which made long-distance driving for me there such a joy.

With the default textures in FSX, the detail and accuracy are totally bleh......

I have to say, matching Google Earth maps with a flight sim was very ingenious. Too bad not all of the world have updated textures. It'll be nice to fly virtually over RP.

Add: What's more amazing is the framerates with the Google Earth maps are higher than with the default textures.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 2nd, 2008 at 03:57 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Google Earth flight sim.

I don't think the makers of MS Flight Simulator X or X-Plane have anything to worry about.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Actually, those are Yahoo Maps tiles not Google Earth. I took a peek at Tileproxy's config file. Yahoo Maps also seemed to have newer tiles than Google Earth which explains why the Wendover tiles in the Google Earth flight sim looked odd and discolored.

Add: Also, flight level at the pic with the F-18 was 30,000 ft MSL (26,000 ft AGL) while the aircraft in the Wendover pic was at 14,000 ft MSL (~10,000 ft AGL). The average elevation in Nevada is ~4,000 ft above sea level.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 3rd, 2008 at 04:55 AM.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    sir jun

could you post some pics of your pc set up?

cguro parang nasa flight sim na yan ah .. :bwahaha:

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s_quilicot View Post
    sir jun

could you post some pics of your pc set up?

cguro parang nasa flight sim na yan ah ..
    Nah. I haven't had the chance to buy a new flight yoke/throttle/rudder pedals. For some reason, they're hard to find retail. I'll have to order it in the internet. Right now, I'm making do with a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and keyboard. The Logitech's really designed for mecha games. But, it's ok somewhat for flight sims.

My pc is still the same one I assembled back in June 2005. The only difference is now it has an XFX 512mb GeForce 8600GT which a friend gave to me. The original video card was an ASUS 256mb X800XL ViVo. The 8600GT is only marginally better in most games except in FSX where it averages a decisive 10+ fps better than the X800XL. It's also free. So, I'm not complaining.

I was on the verge of buying an 8800GT or maybe even one of those "SLI on one slot" video cards. But, once again, I found an excuse not to. FSX with Tileproxy textures runs great in my pc plus it looks better.

My daughter has taken up WoW and Mom isn't ready to let her have her own gaming pc yet. So now, it's my wife's "yucky" pc in my den and my gaming pc is now in the family room. My daughter and I are constantly jostling for play time on my pc.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Nevada means "snow-capped" in Spanish. This FSX/Yahoo Maps image screencap shows why the name is apt. The snow at the mountain tops remain almost year-round even in the middle of +100 F (38 C) summers.

I can't help but admire the irony. You can be parched with thirst at the hot valley floor. But, you see the tantalizing snow so near yet so unreachable. You just have to fall on your knees and start sobbing.

Even though the region is desolate and not a good place to have car/engine problems, I'm fascinated by the wildness and isolation of the place. It would've made the ideal "Mordor" in the Lord of The Rings movies.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 3rd, 2008 at 09:53 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Took a break from VFR flights. Tried some formation flying. It's easier said than done even with a loose box formation:

What are the good PC games you've played?