New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 276 of 678 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286326376 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,760 of 6780
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    at those $$$!!! prices, telling the time is not the raison de etre anymore.
    So it must be the latter then...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    at those $$$!!! prices, telling the time is not the raison de etre anymore.
    Well dokie when did you buy a watch with only criterion in mind is How it tells time? For me never before, until the G-shock i use for cycling suddenly stops charging. So i bought a cheap 3000¥ watch but still my criteria black rubber straps and black-out display and it tells time.

BTW: saan pwede paayos yung G-shock, i have business trip in Pinas this week and I think i have wednesday afternoon to spare pra paayos. Its still runs on battery only no more solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BlancNoir View Post
    So it must be the latter then...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Not exactly the latter. WIS, watch aficionados don't buy watches to show off. Some do. But generally not. They buy watches simply for the appreciation of it. It's like buying a piece of art, which you can wear daily, if you only have one watch. And very few people appreciate watches so even if you walk wearing your Patek or your IWC, only people who also understand watches will appreciate them. For the rest, it's just a device to tell time. Which their phones do. Synchronized pa sa cell sites.

Heck you can wear a Grand Seiko and the common tao will tell you, "Ay Seiko lang relo mo, mas maganda itong Guess watch ko."

It's the appreciation of the technology, or the lack of it when we talk about analog watches. Like beating hearts that never needs a battery. It's the connection between the watch and the wearer. The morning routine of winding a manual watch. Or the complication of a moon watch or a perpetual calendar one.

Now this feels more of a PWC thread haha

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post
    Not exactly the latter. WIS, watch aficionados don't buy watches to show off. Some do. But generally not. They buy watches simply for the appreciation of it. It's like buying a piece of art
    totally agree.
    yes, it's like buying a Modigliani.

i won't buy an aventador to show off with my friends who drive an altis. i buy an aventador because i love speed and i adore exotic cars.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BlancNoir View Post
    Actually, wala namang purpose yung luxury watches other than to tell the time and to show off maybe?
    Luxury watches are also investments. Like expensive jewelry, they depreciate much slower than things like cars or electronic devices. And in some cases of rare and/or vintage watches, their prices actually increase.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by forceG View Post
    Well dokie when did you buy a watch with only criterion in mind is How it tells time? For me never before, until the G-shock i use for cycling suddenly stops charging. So i bought a cheap 3000¥ watch but still my criteria black rubber straps and black-out display and it tells time.

BTW: saan pwede paayos yung G-shock, i have business trip in Pinas this week and I think i have wednesday afternoon to spare pra paayos. Its still runs on battery only no more solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    well, i did buy a swiss branded many years ago, "for special events". i wear it once or twice a year.
    my current daily watch is a seiko solar titanium. doesn't need batteries.. accurate.. hindi namamatay kapag hindi ginagamit.. magaan.. and won't invite would-be snatchers, as it looks so plane-jane.

show it to the casio outlet.
    then show it to the non-casio independent repairer, e.g. prestige watch store, and ask if they can repair it.
    go to the cheaper priced repair.
    Last edited by dr. d; June 24th, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post
    Not exactly the latter. WIS, watch aficionados don't buy watches to show off. Some do. But generally not. They buy watches simply for the appreciation of it. It's like buying a piece of art, which you can wear daily, if you only have one watch. And very few people appreciate watches so even if you walk wearing your Patek or your IWC, only people who also understand watches will appreciate them. For the rest, it's just a device to tell time. Which their phones do. Synchronized pa sa cell sites.

Heck you can wear a Grand Seiko and the common tao will tell you, "Ay Seiko lang relo mo, mas maganda itong Guess watch ko."

It's the appreciation of the technology, or the lack of it when we talk about analog watches. Like beating hearts that never needs a battery. It's the connection between the watch and the wearer. The morning routine of winding a manual watch. Or the complication of a moon watch or a perpetual calendar one.

Now this feels more of a PWC thread haha

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    WIS make up less than 1% of the population. Even among owners of luxury watches, many of them don't appreciate history and whatnot. Most of them really buy the watches because they're status symbols.

Which is probably why watch enthusiasts gather in forums like PWC or WUS - because in real life, people who appreciate their hobby are few and far in between.

Quote Originally Posted by makinao View Post
    Luxury watches are alsoe investments. Like expensive jewelry, they depreciate much slower than things like cars or electronic devices. And in some cases of rare and/or vintage watches, their prices actually increase.
    Do you advise that instead of buying into stocks now, I buy a Rolex? I have no particular craving for one, but I'm looking to invest. The PSEi is at its lowest in several months, so I'm planning to dump my money there. Is a Submariner really a better buy?

well, i did buy a swiss branded many years ago, "for special events". i wear it once or twice a year.
    my current daily watch is a seiko solar titanium. doesn't need batteries.. accurate.. hindi namamatay kapag hindi ginagamit.. magaan.. and won't invite would-be snatchers, as it looks so plane-jane.

show it to the casio outlet.
    then show it to the non-casio independent repairer, e.g. prestige watch store, and ask if they can repair it.
    go to the cheaper priced repair.
    Doc, parang wala pa kong nakikitang wrist shot kahit isa ah. Post ka naman diyan. 😉

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    ^
    Bro, save for the occasional (really) limited edition and oddity that WIS and rich collectors find a liking for, watches rarely appreciate in value.

Even Rolexes depreciate in value. The frequent price increases just slow down the depreciation compared to a lot of other brands.

Some notable exceptions are the red font Submariner, the 2500 movement Liquidmetal Planet Ocean and the Watchco SM300s.

It might be different for high end watches, but imho the cost of admission is too high to risk for appreciation that may not happen.

Re: stocks naman, why sell while they are down? Malay mo tumaas pa.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    ^
    Bro, save for the occasional (really) limited edition and oddity that WIS and rich collectors find a liking for, watches rarely appreciate in value.

Even Rolexes depreciate in value. The frequent price increases just slow down the depreciation compared to a lot of other brands.

Some notable exceptions are the red font Submariner, the 2500 movement Liquidmetal Planet Ocean and the Watchco SM300s.

It might be different for high end watches, but imho the cost of admission is too high to risk for appreciation that may not happen.

Re: stocks naman, why sell while they are down? Malay mo tumaas pa.
    Hehe bro my question was rhetorical. And I don't plan to sell my stocks, in fact I plan to buy more now that there's practically a 20% discount in the PSE. 😁

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by x2pher View Post
    La lang, iniisip ko kasi kung gano katibay mga watch ng mga tsikoteers.

Mine is swiss army ilang years na sya pero ok pa din
    gshock casio matibay

What brand of watch do you wear? [Merged]