New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 275 of 678 FirstFirst ... 175225265271272273274275276277278279285325375 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,750 of 6780
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BlancNoir View Post
    Reading all these off-shore based salaries makes me want to change careers.
    hahaha, if you are young pwede pa.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    That's what I thought too. If your house, car, and basic necessities are paid for, it's certainly easier to blow several hundred thousand on a watch.

My general rule with toys is not to buy one unless I can afford 10 of those. So I need 4.5M spare cash before buying a Sub Date. I wonder what these young folks do to have that much extra money?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Buy it now bro! Habang wala pang family to feed.

Ako rin, rule of thumb ko before was i should be able to afford 10 of those before i buy it.

And also, wala ng isip isip when it comes to watches, hindi naman nag ddepreciate and if meron man, mababa lang.

And besides, rules are meant to be broken...or not.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    hahaha, if you are young pwede pa.
    Imagine the homesickness though. hahaha

But man! 1 million a month? CEO level pay na yan sa Pinas.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Malaki nga daw pera sa seamen (just like oil men, basically offshore stuff). If you're captain, nasa 1M/month daw. And you can be captain by 30 if you're good daw.

Though I wonder, if seamen really earn so much, how come most of the seamen I've met here are just middle/upper middle class? Wala pa akong namimeet na seaman na taga AAV or kahit Valle/Alabang Hills man lang. But I've met countless corporate folks who earn the same ballpark figure (or less) that can afford bigger lifestyles with more investments/businesses on the side.

My lolo was an seaman in the 80s and earned enough to send his kids to college. He was Chief Engineer but they were never really rich. House was just in Sampaloc, just had one car, no significant investments or pamana to his kids.

According to old timers, seafaring during their time was more like "I want to see the world". Their salary was so low and the so called "big timers" were those from Saudi boys.

Another thing, most of them would spend their money like there was no tomorrow. This is the reason why some (most) that you have met aren't "rich". One more, these people usually come from poor families that their only "hope" is by earning dollars. If they were to settle down, they usually choose a nearby subdivision if not their ancestral house or a nearby lot.

One junior officer I know was earning $5000 a month. He stopped sailing as he wanted to prioritize his wife and kids. If he continued his alternative career (alternative since seafaring is not his first degree), he would be earning about $10,000 a month. He decided that earning very little and living a simple life together with his wife and kids are much worth than his career.

Most seafarers I know do not want their kids to follow their career. Life is abnormal, even when compared to other OFWs.

Going back, this guy I know has a watch as old as his youngest kid. He never bothered to buy a new one. He said that as long as his watch is working, why bother to buy a new one. Showing his wristwatch with permission.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    According to old timers, seafaring during their time was more like "I want to see the world". Their salary was so low and the so called "big timers" were those from Saudi boys.

Another thing, most of them would spend their money like there was no tomorrow. This is the reason why some (most) that you have met aren't "rich". One more, these people usually come from poor families that their only "hope" is by earning dollars. If they were to settle down, they usually choose a nearby subdivision if not their ancestral house or a nearby lot.

One junior officer I know was earning $5000 a month. He stopped sailing as he wanted to prioritize his wife and kids. If he continued his alternative career (alternative since seafaring is not his first degree), he would be earning about $10,000 a month. He decided that earning very little and living a simple life together with his wife and kids are much worth than his career.

Most seafarers I know do not want their kids to follow their career. Life is abnormal, even when compared to other OFWs.

Going back, this guy I know has a watch as old as his youngest kid. He never bothered to buy a new one. He said that as long as his watch is working, why bother to buy a new one. Showing his wristwatch with permission.
    Your friends is a very sensible man.

Actually, wala namang purpose yung luxury watches other than to tell the time and to show off maybe? hahahaa

Speaking of watches, now i want another one.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Regarding the desire for luxury watches, and other material desires for that matter, Buddhism got it spot on --

"Attachment to material things causes much suffering"

That's why lots of religions advocate the simple life. Makes for a "happier" person.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Malaki nga daw pera sa seamen ...

I hope you don't mind using the word "seafarers​" instead of "seamen". Seaman will do but seamen... it sounded like "seamen".

I know it's just me but it doesn't​ sound​ right.
    😀

Anyways, we have lady seafarers now. Although very seldom that you will encounter one, but there are lady officers nowadays.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2017

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Reading all these off-shore based salaries makes me want to change careers.
    There's a very high price to pay to be away from your loved ones and civilization in general.

Can't imagine that I'll be happier earning a 7 digit salary but can't go home to my loved ones whenever I want to, compared to my modest job now where at least I'm present at all milestones of my family and loved ones.

A friend of mine works abroad and I felt quite sad that he only saw his daughter's graduation via Skype. But looking at it positively, at least technology has made the corners of the world so much closer than before.
    Buy it now bro! Habang wala pang family to feed.

Ako rin, rule of thumb ko before was i should be able to afford 10 of those before i buy it.

And also, wala ng isip isip when it comes to watches, hindi naman nag ddepreciate and if meron man, mababa lang.

And besides, rules are meant to be broken...or not.
    I'm already engaged bro. So much of my money goes to preparing for the future.

I still save part of my money for major toy splurges, but it's not a watch that I crave for the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post

Great insight bro. You're right, most successful OFWs I know prefer to buy land in their home provinces and once the well of foreign income dries up, they just retire with a simple rural life.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlee View Post
    Regarding the desire for luxury watches, and other material desires for that matter, Buddhism got it spot on --

"Attachment to material things causes much suffering"

That's why lots of religions advocate the simple life. Makes for a "happier" person.
    I agree that contentment with what you have brings happiness. I do think though that material things are fine as long as in moderation.

My personal principle is to spend on whatever gives the highest happiness per peso. For some people that's travel, for others that's food, for others that would be toys, and there are also others that find their happiness in charity.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Actually, wala namang purpose yung luxury watches other than to tell the time and to show off maybe? hahahaa

Speaking of watches, now i want another one.
    at those $$$!!! prices, telling the time is not the raison de etre anymore.

What brand of watch do you wear? [Merged]