New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 274 of 678 FirstFirst ... 174224264270271272273274275276277278284324374 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 6780
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Among my good friends that had a Rolex by their 20s, none was bought by them, one was a gift for her HS graduation, the other was a gift for his 21st birthday (guy's debut) and then the other was a gift from her parents fiance (for their engagement) I don't have any close friend who is into watches kaya nobody spends for it hehehe

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    Well oil men make a ton of money.

The youngest sister of my friend got her first job in citi USA. This is her first job. Her gross monthly salary is 9k us$. Easily can buy a rolex or two. Financial services abroad can also earn very well. She joined Citi this year and is based in New York.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro
    One of my best friends from high school also worked for Citi. He was in IB so the money was crazy.

He studied in the states though, otherwise it would've been very difficult to get in. He eventually left and went back here but is now bound for the UK this time for his MBA.

If you're from the Philippines, it takes enormous amounts of privilege, talent, and luck to get an IB job like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Among my good friends that had a Rolex by their 20s, none was bought by them, one was a gift for her HS graduation, the other was a gift for his 21st birthday (guy's debut) and then the other was a gift from her parents fiance (for their engagement) I don't have any close friend who is into watches kaya nobody spends for it hehehe
    That's a good point - many people actually have money for a Rolex. 400k isn't a terribly large amount of money after all. It boils down to priorities and interests.

Some people would blow the same amount of money on a bike, on car mods, on a fancy computer, or on travel. Depende lang talaga sa hilig.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My first swiss watch

It claims to be official railway watch, unfortunately it does not behave like the real swiss railway watch.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    My first swiss watch

It claims to be official railway watch, unfortunately it does not behave like the real swiss railway watch.

it's... not accurate..?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Like what job? Not all OFW jobs earn better than local jobs.

usdollars, not riyales and such.
    even low-rank merchant marine earn "high enough" to enable them to purchase rolexes and such, should they wish to. they just have to learn to discipline a bit, their spendthrift selves and family.
    but they prefer casio g-shocks, as they fit into their job description better. my relative went thru three seikos in the span of a year, victims of their tough job description aboard.
    Last edited by dr. d; June 23rd, 2018 at 02:06 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    it's... not accurate..?
    It's accurate.

It's just not the model with Stop2Go feature.

Mondaine Stop2Go Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch - YouTube

Stop2Go model was not available where I purchased.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    For the WIS...

South China Morning Post: From Casio, pioneer of the G-Shock watch, five other innovations.
    Five other innovative Casio products G-Shock champion Kazuo Kashio will be remembered by | South China Morning Post

Salute! Kazuo Kashio!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    usdollars, not riyales and such.
    even low-rank merchant marine earn "high enough" to enable them to purchase rolexes and such, should they wish to. they just have to learn to discipline a bit, their spendthrift selves and family.
    but they prefer casio g-shocks, as they fit into their job description better. my relative went thru three seikos in the span of a year, victims of their tough job description aboard.
    Malaki nga daw pera sa seamen (just like oil men, basically offshore stuff). If you're captain, nasa 1M/month daw. And you can be captain by 30 if you're good daw.

Though I wonder, if seamen really earn so much, how come most of the seamen I've met here are just middle/upper middle class? Wala pa akong namimeet na seaman na taga AAV or kahit Valle/Alabang Hills man lang. But I've met countless corporate folks who earn the same ballpark figure (or less) that can afford bigger lifestyles with more investments/businesses on the side.

My lolo was an seaman in the 80s and earned enough to send his kids to college. He was Chief Engineer but they were never really rich. House was just in Sampaloc, just had one car, no significant investments or pamana to his kids.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Malaki nga daw pera sa seamen (just like oil men, basically offshore stuff). If you're captain, nasa 1M/month daw. And you can be captain by 30 if you're good daw.

Though I wonder, if seamen really earn so much, how come most of the seamen I've met here are just middle/upper middle class? Wala pa akong namimeet na seaman na taga AAV or kahit Valle/Alabang Hills man lang. But I've met countless corporate folks who earn the same ballpark figure (or less) that can afford bigger lifestyles with more investments/businesses on the side.

My lolo was an seaman in the 80s and earned enough to send his kids to college. He was Chief Engineer but they were never really rich. House was just in Sampaloc, just had one car, no significant investments or pamana to his kids.

a relative of mine, he's a ship captain (a superintendent) earns 600k/month.

a good friend, off-shore oil drilling in africa, 1M a month, 30 days work then 30 days off. his elder brother (who's their foreman), 1.2 a month. but they never allowed their sons to follow their footsteps because it is highly risky and very prone to carcinogens.

he has a z4, an expedition, a land cruiser, a mustang gt. his older brother who's not into cars bought tracts of land.

back to topic

planning to get a Breitling or an IWC or a santos this December

10. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reading all these off-shore based salaries makes me want to change careers.

What brand of watch do you wear? [Merged]