New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 217 of 678 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 6780
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Happy new year watch freaks!

Took the Planet Ocean for Alex (the Rolex guy) to look at in his shop in GB1. Amplitude is still good (290) and rate is +5/day. Not bad for a 5 year old watch. Alex advised me to hold off on getting a service for now.

Haven't gotten a service from him yet but from the way he talks to customers, handles watches and how the shop looks I think I will be going to him from now on. Seems a lot more professional and systematic than the other independents. How I wish he had an Omega parts account!
    Nice PO bro! Fits you perfectly.

How does Alex determine if the watch is in need of service? I'm interested in checking if my Speedy's internals are due for a tune-up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    What's your take on 2-tone watches?

Steel and Gold?

Steel and Everose Gold?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlancNoir View Post
    What's your take on 2-tone watches?

Steel and Gold?

Steel and Everose Gold?
    What brand of watch do you wear? [Merged]

4. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

HAHAHAHAHA

Looks nice though.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    HAHAHAHAHA

Looks nice though.
    Yes it does. Actually a friend of mine has a two-tone Datejust, it stands out because people our age don't usually wear 2-tone watches. It's somewhere between regal and pamana-ni-daddy. What brand of watch do you wear? [Merged]

6. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Yes it does. Actually a friend of mine has a two-tone Datejust, it stands out because people our age don't usually wear 2-tone watches. It's somewhere between regal and pamana-ni-daddy. What brand of watch do you wear? [Merged]

Hahaha true

How old are you again bro? Na curious tuloy ako.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hahaha true

How old are you again bro? Na curious tuloy ako.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Same as you. What brand of watch do you wear? [Merged]

8. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Same as you. What brand of watch do you wear? [Merged]

Ha! Cool!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Happy new year watch freaks!

Took the Planet Ocean for Alex (the Rolex guy) to look at in his shop in GB1. Amplitude is still good (290) and rate is +5/day. Not bad for a 5 year old watch. Alex advised me to hold off on getting a service for now.

Haven't gotten a service from him yet but from the way he talks to customers, handles watches and how the shop looks I think I will be going to him from now on. Seems a lot more professional and systematic than the other independents. How I wish he had an Omega parts account!
    looks clean🤓

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Nice PO bro! Fits you perfectly.

How does Alex determine if the watch is in need of service? I'm interested in checking if my Speedy's internals are due for a tune-up.

Thanks bro! Have to admit I wasn't paying that much attention to my watch as he checked it. The primary reason I was there was to have the wife's quartz watch's battery replaced. And am not the same guy (too hammered) on the days between Christmas and the New Year. I didn't notice if he took the caseback off to have a look at the movement, but he did put it on the timing machine.

Al Archer the watchmaker wrote a pretty good piece about service intervals on WUS:
    How often to service a watch - a watchmaker's view

Long story short, it depends on many factors aside from the time in between services. How it is worn, how long it has been continuously running/stored, etc. And most importantly, how well it still tells time doesn't necessarily mean it isn't due for a service. Some watches still run well even with dried up lubrication but that will come at the cost of worn parts. So like cars, sooner is still better than later.

My watch has gone 5 years without a service so it certainly is time to get one soon. The reason why I'm not keen on getting a service is I don't trust watchmakers without coaxial training to work on my coaxial movement. Not too keen on shipping it overseas just to get a service either so that leaves Omega service center as the only option for me. The cost of a full service there is inclusive of movement parts, so I'm not worried about the cost of some parts wearing out prematurely. To me if the cost is all the same, I'd rather take it there when it no longer runs within specs and maximize the service interval.

Alex specializes in Rolex watches but I'm sure he can work on the Speedy auto since it is also a Swiss lever escapement. I'll give him a call and ask him about it tomorrow.