New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 172 of 678 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 6780
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    In one of my previous jobs, there is one staff in one of the teams I manage that was totally unaware of the value of the watch he was wearing. I noticed the watch and I asked him how he got it. He told me an uncle gave it to him without a strap. He just put a cheap strap on it. I told him to go get a much better and more expensive leather strap on the watch to give it more bling. He was wearing a vintage A. Lange & Sohne.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Some watch really is an investment hehe

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Save for some Rolex models and Patek, most of them still depreciate. Some at a slower rate than others, but calling a watch an investment is like calling a Civic SiR an investment.

Let's not kid ourselves - watches are luxury items. A 3k Seiko tells time just as well as a 400k Submariner. And a cellphone connected to the internet will have more accurate time than either of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    In one of my previous jobs, there is one staff in one of the teams I manage that was totally unaware of the value of the watch he was wearing. I noticed the watch and I asked him how he got it. He told me an uncle gave it to him without a strap. He just put a cheap strap on it. I told him to go get a much better and more expensive leather strap on the watch to give it more bling. He was wearing a vintage A. Lange & Sohne.
    Sana binili mo bro! O kaya sabihin mo, bigyan kita Rolex, palit tayo. 😂

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I just added a Seiko Pogue Reissue to my box. Namataan habang namamasyal sa avenida.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

Sana binili mo bro! O kaya sabihin mo, bigyan kita Rolex, palit tayo. ��

He was not intent on selling it as it is an heirloom. However, I do have an anecdote with an old friend from my Magic The Gathering tournament days before.

Back in 2002, one of the constant folks I play with was a guy from Los Banos. While we were playing at Neutral Grounds Glorieta (in its old location), he was telling me that his grandpa gave him a watch. He was pissed because he was asking for a G-Shock. He complained that the watch was not working (he did not know it was an automatic) and it did not even come with a strap. I asked him to describe it. He said the face had multiple dials and small graduated numbers on the face edge. I asked him if one it had a "B" and wings on its logo. He said yes and I asked him if he is planning to sell it. He said he will be happy to take 10k for it. I said I will take it and I will pay for it the next day.

The next day, we met up and he was wearing a grin on his face. He told me I was such a devious *$$ and no way he will part with a Breitling for 10k. Apparently, on his way home to take the bus to Los Banos, he happened to see the same logo at Lucerne. He saw a newer version of the watch and it was priced 250k+. The strap alone is more than 10k. If luck had its way and my friend didn't see Lucerne, I would have gotten myself a Breitling Navitimer for 10k!!!!
    Last edited by Egan101; October 24th, 2017 at 02:09 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    I know some guys in my office who confuse Omega with Oris. I got a Seamaster Pro and an Aquis, they think they are from the same brand LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    To be fair bro, the Aquis is a real looker. Great design imo.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    2 weeks ago, I had know idea about watches. Sure I knew that Casio, Seiko and Timex were cheap brands, and Rolex, Panerai, Patek and AP were high end brands.

Then I learned that Seiko was affordable but generally well-regarded, and that along with entry level pieces like the Seiko 5 and SKX Diver, they also have high-end Grand Seikos that cost over 6 digits.

At first I liked the Omega Speedmaster because it looks so damn good. Then I learned it was also the watch worn on the moon, hence the Moonwatch monicker. Then I learned that aside from the Moonwatch (Speedmaster Professional), there was the Speedmaster Date, Speedmaster Reduced, Dark Side of the Moon, Grey Side of the Moon, etc.

Back then, I thought Rolex was ubiquitous. Then I learned that the Submariner was a cult classic, and that most crowns hold value very well relative to other luxury watches.

There's so much to learn about watches and it's been an interesting pastime over the past couple of days.

Interesting isn't it? Specially the history behind them.

I think you'll find watches are great subjects for photography too.

*Egan101
    Pity re: that Breitling. Me, I'm still dreaming about one day stumbling upon a vintage Patek in a garage sale and generously offering the owner a couple thousand bucks.

I didn't know you played MTG. At which expansion series did you quit? I was about done during the Mirage series.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I'm thinking of New SGear... I switched S8 plus from iPhone 6+ and Apple Watch S1😊

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    He was not intent on selling it as it is an heirloom. However, I do have an anecdote with an old friend from my Magic The Gathering tournament days before.

Back in 2002, one of the constant folks I play with was a guy from Los Banos. While we were playing at Neutral Grounds Glorieta (in its old location), he was telling me that his grandpa gave him a watch. He was pissed because he was asking for a G-Shock. He complained that the watch was not working (he did not know it was an automatic) and it did not even come with a strap. I asked him to describe it. He said the face had multiple dials and small graduated numbers on the face edge. I asked him if one it had a "B" and wings on its logo. He said yes and I asked him if he is planning to sell it. He said he will be happy to take 10k for it. I said I will take it and I will pay for it the next day.

The next day, we met up and he was wearing a grin on his face. He told me I was such a devious *$$ and no way he will part with a Breitling for 10k. Apparently, on his way home to take the bus to Los Banos, he happened to see the same logo at Lucerne. He saw a newer version of the watch and it was priced 250k+. The strap alone is more than 10k. If luck had its way and my friend didn't see Lucerne, I would have gotten myself a Breitling Navitimer for 10k!!!!
    ...and probably, a lifelong foe...
    "...linoko mo ako!!!..."

even the pawn stars had the conscience, when someone brought in, a faberge egg.

heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; October 25th, 2017 at 08:19 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post

*Egan101
    Pity re: that Breitling. Me, I'm still dreaming about one day stumbling upon a vintage Patek in a garage sale and generously offering the owner a couple thousand bucks.

I didn't know you played MTG. At which expansion series did you quit? I was about done during the Mirage series.
    Yep, that would have been a steal if I got that Navitimer for 10k.

I started playing MTG as a newbie during 4th Edition-Ice Age block (1995), stopped during the "combo-winter" days of Urza block, and played back again more competitively (limited, constructed, and legacy formats) from Masques to Mirrodin blocks. I sold all my cards for a profit in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    ...and probably, a lifelong foe...
    "...linoko mo ako!!!..."

even the pawn stars had the conscience, when someone brought in, a faberge egg.

heh heh.
    I asked him for his price and he gave me one. We just laugh about it every time I see him wearing the watch. He started collecting watches from that day moving forward.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Yep, that would have been a steal if I got that Navitimer for 10k.

I started playing MTG as a newbie during 4th Edition-Ice Age block (1995), stopped during the "combo-winter" days of Urza block, and played back again more competitively (limited, constructed, and legacy formats) from Masques to Mirrodin blocks. I sold all my cards for a profit in 2005.
    Wow, what a coincidence. I started playing MTG at around the same time. Wasn't able to sell the cards in time though. Still gathering dust in the attic. I imagine they are not worth much now. Was good that you got out when the cards were still worth something.

What brand of watch do you wear? [Merged]