New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    So whether leaving it on or off has no effect on the power pack lifespan? I have this habit of turning it off for the weekend or long holiday.
    i think, some batteries deteriorate faster if they stay un-charged for long periods, like our car batteries.
    if the batteries are fully charged, i think we can unplug them over the weekend.

however, if the neighborhood experiences a lot of power outages, it is a good idea to keep the ups always plugged, to insure the battery is always fully charged when you have to use the appliance plugged into it.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    On UPS battery charging:
    Most any modern UPS will charge the batteries even if it's switched off. Most will even give off a relay 'click' when you plug them in, signifying that the circuit is active. Yes, I've confirmed this with a lot of APC, TrippLite and many china-branded UPS.

On switching off the UPS:
    If the PC or the load connected to it is turned off, it is best practice to turn off the UPS as well. Otherwise, in an event of a blackout, the UPS will transition to backup power even though there's nothing to supply power to, draining the battery unnecessarily.

On adding an AVR:
    Most UPS nowadays have basic voltage regulation built-in. This feature may often be called buck/boost. Buck is reducing the output while boost is the opposite. Each step, whether buck or boost, is usually between 10-20V apart. So for a 20V boost for example, if the input voltage gets down to 200V, it will boost the output back to 220V. Many UPS will have multiple buck/boost steps, allowing you to power up your PC even if the input voltage is down to 180V.

If your UPS does not have a built-in voltage regulator, you can put an AVR before the UPS, not after.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12