New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by umi001 View Post
    When I assembled our desktop PC a year and a half ago, I didn't include an internal optical drive. When I need to access CDs/DVDs, I use an external drive, which we had previously bought for our Aspire 1825PT. In the time since, I've not really felt the absence - I've used the drive maybe three, four times in a year and half. USB flash drives, Internet software, music and video downloads, and CD/DVD virtualization have eliminated the need to have an optical drive around at all times.

I do feel that, this time, it isn't Apple that started the trend - it's the netbooks and similar (though non-Atom) ultraportables which have shown the manufacturers that an optical drive is no longer a necessary piece of equipment in computers.
    I agree. Apple did not start this particular trend. The advent of the netbooks, ultraportables and now the ultrabooks have created a trend that embodies the thought or concept that the optical drive is not anymore part/hardware we would need to carry around with our laptops. It does help though to have USB drives, internet storage, etc to offset that once in a bluemoon need to store or install something from a sharable media.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Hahaha... nabwisit nga ako when people started moving away from floppies... all my old DOS games and game saves... obsolete!

Times move. The 5" floppy... dead. The 3.5" floppy... dead. Videodisc... dead. Now those damn overpriced, stupidly cheap to produce CDs... I hope they all die in hell.

Then we can go back to the best ever data storage device...

How I miss the Commodore 64...
    Wow, you must be OLD.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

Then we can go back to the best ever data storage device...

How I miss the Commodore 64...

-
    Hahaha... I remember it took forever to load a game on my C64 Datasette.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by marg View Post
    Wow, you must be OLD.
    Aray! I also was able to use computers with tape cassettes to "program" and save programs to. LOL!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Nah... if I were old, I'd be pining for our old Coleco Telstar... but by the time I was old enough to play it, the thing was borked.

Thus the first gaming system we ever used was the Atari 2600 (original woodgrain, baby... not the later all-black ones), which is just two years younger than me...

My favorite classic computer of all time, though, has got to be the ColecoVision. Incredibly advanced for its time (all of the games were arcade cabinet ports) and with one of the best controllers ever, it offered games like "Space Fury", "Zaxxon" (we also had the board game), "Mousetrap" (great multi-layered strategy take on Pac-Man) and a little something known as "Donkey Kong"...

Even after it was surpassed by consoles like the Family Computer, the ColecoVision controller was unmatched for flexibility until Playstation released the "dualshock" controller.

(yeah, it's so radical, someone actually decided to paint it...)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
TECH NEWS: "MacBook Air, Ultrabook spell doom for optical drive"