New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Uhh... a lot of photographers use Macs. The Air is light, compact, powerful, have a seven hour battery life, run Photoshop 11' and can process raw camera files. And the 15" that's coming out next year will have the i7. I don't know what more you'd want from a travelling photographer's laptop.

Besides, if you're buying an ultra-slim, you're not buying it for the same reasons you buy a bulky high-end gaming laptop...
    my mbp17 has the same weight as my alienware...
    bulky but same..

processors are not solely responsible for a loptops performance
    graphics card... is the downfall of any mac.. for a 130k+ mac... only 512mb to 1gb vc?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Ang alienware Dell na may ari, hindi na yan tulad ng alienware dati...as per the purist though..

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyLover View Post
    bulky but same..

graphics card... is the downfall of any mac.. for a 130k+ mac... only 512mb to 1gb vc?
    processor, RAM, HDD and graphics card all contribute to the total system performance of any computer be it Mac or PC.
    for me, the 512 up to 1gb memory of VC included in MBP are sufficient enough to run photo and video editing software with no effect of sluggishness ( i do CS5 with plenty of images loaded, photo merge works OK and plug-ins like Topaz adjust also ran like hell ).

And should you demand more graphics, there's always the Mac Pro line waiting for you

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    bulky but same..

How old is your MBPro?

Video card memory isn't everything for photo-processing or even video processing. The reason a lot of media companies and practitioners like to use Macs is they have a good form factor and they use what processor power and RAM there is more effectively.

My Netbook has as many GHz of processing power as my brother's Air... but there's no doubting that it's a much better processing tool for photoshopping than mine is.

And this is from someone who doesn't use Macs because he thinks the lack of a Mouse 2 button is stupid.

Obviously, lacking a more powerful video card limits your ability to play the more processor intensive 3D games, but again, different market.

-

In the end... the choice of Mac or Windows Laptop for photos is kind of a non-argument. There are great Macs, there are great Windows laptops... while the architecture of Mac's OS X is arguably greatly superior to that piece of garbage Vista (hell... everything is) and somewhat superior to Windows 7, if you configure Windows 7 right and run the right photo software on a good laptop, you can do the same thing a Mac user can. But it'll take a bit more tweaking on your end to get everything just right.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    100k+ no optical drive

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    100k+ no optical drive
    100k++ price tag is what you get if you want a laptop that would be a "do-all" machine, including a fast cpu, fast gaming grade gpu, massive hdd/ssd, long-ish battery life, large screen, etc.

But fortunately, each laptop has it's target segment so there are business laptops, student laptops, gaming laptops, etc. which their own price ranges. So for ones with less budging wallets, we can still have the laptops that answers our personal needs & requirements.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    100k+ no optical drive
    it's about time. did you felt sad too when the floppy was replaced by optical drives?
    Signature

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    If my memory serve me right, I read an article saying that when Apple launched iTunes it made recording companies selling CD's suffer. Di na kelangan ng optical drive, download ka na lang music and other medias online. Galing talaga ng idea. Di ko lang sure kung exclusive lang sa iTunes pag Mac. Di Mac ang gamit ko eh. Hehe!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    When I assembled our desktop PC a year and a half ago, I didn't include an internal optical drive. When I need to access CDs/DVDs, I use an external drive, which we had previously bought for our Aspire 1825PT. In the time since, I've not really felt the absence - I've used the drive maybe three, four times in a year and half. USB flash drives, Internet software, music and video downloads, and CD/DVD virtualization have eliminated the need to have an optical drive around at all times.

I do feel that, this time, it isn't Apple that started the trend - it's the netbooks and similar (though non-Atom) ultraportables which have shown the manufacturers that an optical drive is no longer a necessary piece of equipment in computers.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    it's about time. did you felt sad too when the floppy was replaced by optical drives?
    Hahaha... nabwisit nga ako when people started moving away from floppies... all my old DOS games and game saves... obsolete!

Times move. The 5" floppy... dead. The 3.5" floppy... dead. Videodisc... dead. Now those damn overpriced, stupidly cheap to produce CDs... I hope they all die in hell.

Then we can go back to the best ever data storage device...

How I miss the Commodore 64...

-

Really... given how cheap USBs are nowadays... when we give out data (and I've seen other companies do this, also...), we often do it with USB drives.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
TECH NEWS: "MacBook Air, Ultrabook spell doom for optical drive"