New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Globe Mobile Broadband/Laptop Internet Connection

So what do you guys think about Globe's WiFi for laptops?

For me
    One thing is for sure, when my 1yr contract ends with Smart, i'm switching to Globe's WiFi. Smart WiFi is terribly slow compared to other broadband connections. And it's not really Wireless! Once in a while, I do a few online games,and Smart WiFi just can't handle it, I'm the person that always lags.

I know a few ppl with Smart's WiFi..and they all have the same opinion as me.. it sux.

I'm fed up with Smart's Wifi, anything else is probably better than the connection I'm getting. They say Globe's Wifi is 25x faster than dial-up..and 4x faster than DSL that's what i'm talking about

Any of u guys inquire about Globe's wireless broadband? does anyone have it yet?? how much does it cost monthly?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    ang mahal naman! 0.15 per kilobyte!

1MB = 1024 kB = 154 pesos!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by knight23
    ang mahal naman! 0.15 per kilobyte!

1MB = 1024 kB = 154 pesos!
    ...yes if your'e using Mobile Fone..not for the laptop..sus...if dat was for d laptop wifi.. haha wag na

.15 per kb is what they had before 3G..so it's been their flat rate since before. I used my internet browser once on my phone for a few seconds, and it's expensive talaga.. i had 50 pesos worth of load..then after I checked my balance..4pesos lang!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hehe... at nights, when I don't have the office DSL, I'm usually on my Globe GPRS... Thankfully, since I'm on a regular bill, it doesn't hurt as much. It's added maybe 200p to my regular bill... that's for a whole month's usage.

Kaya lang, I can't post long messages with a cellphone, that's why I sometimes have two or three posts in a row.

*KrisKros: You should download Opera Mini at mini.opera.com... it allows you to surf with less lag and using less kb per page than most stock browsers. This is because it doesn't cut pages into multiple slices unless they're very large, not like the stock browser... and you don't need to go throug Google's WAP translator (lower KB/Bandwidth needs). Just don't download their alternate settings, use your stock settings.

But it depends on your phone... on mine, it makes browsing faster and cheaper... on my Mom's XDA, it makes it prettier, but doesn't allow you to turn down the jpeg detail.

As for WiFi for computers... Smart's WiFi really can't match DSL speeds. It's kind of slow, and the antenna (yes, antenna... no, you can't use it on a laptop unless you're using it at home) is finicky. My cousin and his friend both have it, and they now have an antenna adjusting ritual. It's been out of whack at least once a month since he got it. He's just putting up with it because the service isn't very expensive and he isn't on very much.

EDIT: After reading Globe's mini-site... this is nothing like Smart WiFi. This allows you to travel more. Siguro, comparable to Airborne Access, but with a much much wider range.

Sana Airborne Access level din nalang yung price. 100p per hour is liveable, but at laptop-level graphic detail, each page (on average) would cost 50 pesos... up to 100 pesos or more if someone's posted a huge jpeg.
    Last edited by niky; May 5th, 2006 at 11:23 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Smart WiFi vs Globe's NEW WiFi