New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    A full RAID1 system would be best because if the either HDD fails, you can still run the system from the remaining HDD. Replace the faulty HDD and the RAID1 system will rebuild itself.

A daily backup is good only a precaution. But if the primary HDD fails, getting the system back up will take a few hours at least. You can do a disk image to the 2nd HDD to minimize downtime but it might take a long time to do a disk image every night.
    Thanks GH, I guess I really have to look for a motherboard with RAID.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    RAID cards are now available on PCI slots.. used to be RAID cards only catered to SCSI hdd... then may lumabas na na for IDE.. i think now mayron na rin for SATA.... kung RAID functionality lang ang kulang sa existing na lumang system... an alternative is pop in the RAID card, add a few more HDD, then reinstall the server and restore the qb and qb files... then leave it as a dedicated sytem for qb.. yun na lang ang 24/7...

then you can go ahead with that ALL NEW HI END GAMING SYSTEM!! yahoo!!!

=)

btw, most outlets wouldn't carry the PCI RAID card on stock since bibihira ang humahanap nito... usually order basis ito sa iyong suking tindahan... yung may experience ako personally using is yung Promise (it's the brand - not sure kung sino pinaka distributor dito sa atin but ang supplier ko is TQM na may branch na thinkPC dyan sa gilmore).. una kong na try yung IDE RAID nya.. 2 channel.. mirror lang talaga ginagawa nya... after that I passed on the IT tasks na to my brother kaya I lost track na kung ano na ang ginagawa nya now...
    Last edited by wowiesy; July 25th, 2009 at 01:31 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    True. Its possible to upgrade an existing system by installing a RAID controller that uses SATA HDDs.

But I have yet to see such a card in the stores I normally visit.

The only closest thing I have seen in an external drive bay that can house two SATA HDDs (another model can house four HDDs) that has RAID capability. Not sure if it uses USB or eSATA to connect the PC though.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try ko nga inquire sa suking tindahan ko yang RAID controller.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    To Boybi,

I've been in a similar situation before. We used Quickbooks before also. Here are my thoughts and suggestions:

If you go for a motherboard with RAID, go for one which uses Intel chipsets. Along with the suggestion about the powersupply, don't scrimp on the motherboard also. Go for one of those "all solid capacitor" mobos if you have the budget.

If you go for the RAID card, here's one store which has those. http://iglobe-phils.com. They used to supply me with my networking accessories.

Also, I would suggest you be particular about the brand of RAM and hard drive you get especially for a server. Kingston and Seagate are well regarded. PC Express sells those Seagate NL35 drives which have much higher MTBFs (Mean Time Before Failure = higher means more reliable) for not much more than a normal desktop drive. If your area gets a few brownouts a year, get a basic UPS for 2k to protect your server.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've already bought one. A Gigabyte mb with built-in RAID. I used 2 2gb Kingston rams, and I'll just transfer the hard disks I'm currently using to the new PC. I haven't set it up yet, the room where I'll put the PC is still not yet finished.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Setting up a 'server' PC