New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I do not know who found the Musashi, or if anyone has done any underwater surveys of the ship. But we do know that the Musashi did not blow up or break into pieces when she sank. We also know that warships ( specially battleships ) are tough creatures, and as long as they do not blow up, they survive the trip to the bottom without breaking into pieces ( the Bismarck is a classic example ). So there is a very good chance that she is still in one piece.

If this project goes through ( and I hope it does ), i am sure there would be thousands of battleship enthusiasts around the world that would visit the ship. I just hope that the 18.1 inch gun turrets are still intact so we could see the actual size of the guns. Each of the gun turrets alone weighed as much as a destroyer.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle82 View Post
    If this project goes through ( and I hope it does ), i am sure there would be thousands of battleship enthusiasts around the world that would visit the ship. I just hope that the 18.1 inch gun turrets are still intact so we could see the actual size of the guns. Each of the gun turrets alone weighed as much as a destroyer.
    Chances are the main guns would have fallen out of their "holes" when the ship went down. Usually battleships usually roll as they plunge to the bottom. So if that happened, the raising of the main guns would be a separate salvage operation due to the weight of the turrents and guns.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Paano kaya nila iaahon ito? Sa lalim na 4000 plus feet, wala na sigurong diver kayang umabot dun, puro mga maliliit na submarine na siguro ang gagamitin nila, at kung nagkatuluyan, siguradong icover iyan ng mga sikat ng media tulad ng Discovery Chanel, National Geographic, CNN etc.
    Last edited by Zeus; October 26th, 2008 at 11:15 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Paano kaya nila iaahon ito? Sa lalim na 4000 plus feet, wala na sigurong diver kayang umabot dun, puro mga maliliit na submarine na siguro ang gagamitin nila, at kung nagkatuluyan, siguradong icover iyan ng mga sikat ng media tulad ng Discovery Chanel, National Geographic, CNN etc.
    I think it's possible to use mixed gas diving systems to get divers to that depth if needed.

As for actual raising the ship, it could be something taken from mythbusters where they filled a sunken boat full of pingpong balls to create enough bouyancy to lift the ship off the sea floor.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    That's going to be a hell lot of pingpong balls.

---

Eagle82, I agree that the Bismarck can be an example, though not the best. A short section of the stern has broken off.

Just let me get this clear ... did you mean that someone has already located the wreck of the Musashi?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    That's going to be a hell lot of pingpong balls.

---

Eagle82, I agree that the Bismarck can be an example, though not the best. A short section of the stern has broken off.

Just let me get this clear ... did you mean that someone has already located the wreck of the Musashi?
    Not so sure if they already located the Musashi, but they got the coordinates degrees e, maybe they located it when they are searching for another cargo ship with toxic cargo that sank the same day as the MV princess

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Is it 13° 07' 01" North, 122° 31' 59" East? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that from the wartime report on the battle?

I can't find any definitive answer on the internet, so I thought Eagle82 has it. Most of the ones I've found were also questions, some speculations. Someone even wrote that Ballard told him personally that it was going to be his (Ballard's) next search. The discovery by anyone of the Musashi wreck would've been news too big to miss.

We talk about raising the ship and its assumed condition ... but before it could be raised, a survey has to be done first. And before it could be surveyed, it has to be found first.

For all we know, all these talk here could be for nought.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    The Sibuyan Sea covers the area that has the Bicol peninsula up north, Mindoro at the west, Panay at the South. It is not a big area to search, compared to the search area needed for the Titanic and the Bismarck.

With the technology they we have today, the Americans were able to find the civil war Ironclad Monitor and even the confederate submarine Hunley. Much smaller ships and from so far back in history. So i am hopeful that the Musashi will be found. I think the chances are good.

Thanks to StraightSix for correcting me regarding the Bismarck. A short section of the stern did indeed break off.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    New reports say that the wreck has been located at a depth of 4,430 feet at 13° 07' 01" North, 122° 31' 59" East, off the Bondoc Peninsula. In October 2008 a Japanese group has suggested raising the wreck. Their stated their reason for "refloating the warship is in honor of the friendship between the Japanese and the Filipino people."[3] There are reports that Swiss Global Connect has offered to raise the wreck

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sweet! when is the wave motion gun getting installed?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Raising the Japanese battleship Musashi?